• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

So it looks like waiting times are going to be status quo this year as well given that the part 2 length being extended. Hooray for that.

If you want to earn Spec Pay, you get to get screwed by the system for a few years first. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

From what I heard is that for us cpls, the spec pay back pay starts once we finish part 2. It's a small consolation at least.

I have heard of efforts like that too, and while I won't count on it, it sure would be nice.

All in all I agree that while the wait times can be pretty annoying...it's what we have to do for the trade and the spec pay. There are few other gigs in the CF that I could really see myself being interested in these days, and the postings are pretty hard to beat from my perspective.

From what I've heard, promotions may get pretty scarce (though it depends who you talk to) but I'm willing to deal with that in exchange for the job/pay/postings.

EDITED TO ADD:

With all that said though, I do think the clearance times are out to lunch, and I feel that there should be a better system in place to automatically deal with Comm Rsch PATs. Perhaps the Morse code course is a step in the right direction, but it would certainly need to be expanded. Long term EWATs or being tasked to pursue higher education should occur more frequently and faster. The trade should probably take care of it's own...not the little mini empire that is CFSCE 4 Sqn.

meni0n said:
From what I heard is that for us cpls, the spec pay back pay starts once we finish part 2. It's a small consolation at least.

I think its supposed to be back dated to when you were promoted to Cpl, after you finish your QL5. I'll ask a few friends on Monday to clarify for you.

Do you mean back dated to when promotion to cpl happend or cpl and ql5?

I know a guy who was finishing his 5s and he did his 3s as a cpl and he said he was getting back dated to when he finished his part 2.

Which came to about 18 months of back dated spec pay which is a pretty nice chunk of change.

Yeah, for OTs (who are Cpls already) I believe you're correct, it back dates to Pt2 completion. I was thinking you were a direct entry for some reason.

Anyone in the know can say if this morse code is a trap to fill a quota? Are you guys able to talk about how the morse operator postings are?

Not sure about quotas but I'm sure with retirements they will be short of morse code operators.

With all that said It's really not impressive at all how the trade treats its newest members by doing the bare minimum to have

people qualified as soon as possible.

Do you know if you are actually getting a qualification out of it? Or is it like those non accredited "Pre PLQ" courses they were running at one point? That might determine whether they might "trap" you.

From the people I have talked to on their 5's, you will get sent to Leitrim and given an OJT package to complete based on what Sqn you are sent to, and what position you will be filling. As always there are going to be good gos, and well...you get the idea.

But Meni0n..totally agree. I met one guy a few months ago that had been in for 4 years doing Port Security stuff and was now releasing...without his clearance or trades training. You honestly have to wonder how much money the CF wastes in the process of getting people cleared...

They didn't add this course to the current CFSCE calendar yet so I am not sure how this is going to pan out although no one's back from leave yet so it might get added to the 11/12 calendar.

As for the 4 year case, that's kind of sad really. Ironic the guy who was taking care of clearances for comm rsch got promoted and posted yet you got cases like that happening.

Spectrum said:
Do you know if you are actually getting a qualification out of it? Or is it like those non accredited "Pre PLQ" courses they were running at one point? That might determine whether they might "trap" you.

The CWO said the morse code would be credited as a qualification. I just can't remember if he said it would appear in our MPRR only after Phase 2 (meanwhile, it would be noted in our files).

How good or bad is the morse operator position?
Staff said only 6 out of past 40ish candidates passed the 22wpm standard whereas in the 90s, as a core course, the success rate was almost 100%... ppl are obviously bombing to not go into that morse operator position.

Didn't they stop teaching morse code on part 2 around 2006-2007? Any qualification is good to have, don't get stuck on the idea if you got morse code you will be doing that for the rest of your career.

meni0n said:
Didn't they stop teaching morse code on part 2 around 2006-2007? Any qualification is good to have, don't get stuck on the idea if you got morse code you will be doing that for the rest of your career.

It's kind of what the staff is telling us (that we'll get picked for the job and do it for a while until new trainees come around) ... kind of scary considering some are learning at 40wpm... they'll get stuck a long time lol

I did the course in the early 90's and the morse code was included in part 1. You had to pass 22 wpm and a typing test. We had I believe 10 weeks to get to this standard. If you didn't meet the standard they usually recoursed you (at least for the first attempt). That was also there to help give people time to get their clearances. Even then some people were waiting a long time for their clearances.

Hang in there fellas.  It is a good trade and worth the wait.  It's a rite of passage really. 

I can't vouch for it being worth the wait, but I can say how important it is to occupy yourself.  I don't know how they're managing PAT now, but score the best long-term tasking that you can.

I'll pass the two years in mark shortly without an interview of any sort, but I've found my second wind in education.  Look at the OPMEs, as they're taking applications for the upcoming semester and any bright spots on your MPRR is good.  Check out CANFORGEN 037/11 as well, self-study second language is on it's way in.  We'll just have to wait and see if it turns out.

Hell, I'm closer to being trained as a clerk than a Comm Rsch.  I've gone from preparing for release to preparing for UTP-NCM.  The requirements are strict, but if you have 2+ years of doing nothing, why not get some post-secondary education in?  A brighter future has given me a second wind and I've seen far too many OT or release already.

Keep calm and carry on.

You got the right idea about keeping yourself busy with education. Unfortunately I don't want to be the bad news bear but you need to be a Cpl with your 5s done in order to apply to UTPNCM. If you want to go that route, I suggest getting an ILP ready and apply to a distance university such as Athabasca or RMC and start working on your degree.

meni0n said:
You got the right idea about keeping yourself busy with education. Unfortunately I don't want to be the bad news bear but you need to be a Cpl with your 5s done in order to apply to UTPNCM. If you want to go that route, I suggest getting an ILP ready and apply to a distance university such as Athabasca or RMC and start working on your degree.

I forgot to mention that, I'd read up on the requirements(I'm still digging, but I should at least by close the time my ILP is through).  I'm seeking acceptance to Queens as a mature student, if that fails St. Lawrence offers a Military Arts & Sciences program(distance) leading to "advanced standing" in RMC's Bachelor program.  I still need to research that one more...I'm probably being too positive, but being miserable was making me look old.  Athabasca is a good idea as well, I'll check it out. 

I didn't mean to derail the thread, but I don't want anyone feeling sorry for themselves for half their contract as I did.  In the very worst case, I'm not accepted for UTP-NCM or decide to stay Comm Rsch...I still come out of it with some good qualifications.

Does anyone know more of what's going on with PAT?  I'd heard that everyone was being shipped out, but they fought and won to keep me in my current position.  I spend as little time in and around the Genet as I can, lest they remember who I am and drag me back in.

Back