• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation: 1PPCLI, 1RCR & 3R22eR

TheHead said:
Do all the supporting units in the TFA meet the criteria for the award?

Nope. I inquired through my chain, and unless you were in the UIC for the Battlegroup, you get nothing. That leaves out the NSE folks, ASIC, NCE, and possibly the CIED guys (I have to confirm at work Monday as I think R4 had the CIED Sqn detached from the Field Sqns and not part of the BG).

KIWI 99,
I have came to the conclusion that the whole Honours and Awards has become a complete sham in the last few years. Unfortunately their will always be support trades in waiting with their palms open saying "What about me and my unit"  I do not mean any disrespect to any recipients  but if you have read any CANFORGENS in the last little while and if you are not scratching the side of your head until you reach bone then we may be of like mind!
FOR DEDICATION AND CREATIVE EFFORTS IN WRITING ARTICLES THAT ACCURATELY COMMUNICATED THE LIFE OF A TYPICAL CDN SOLDIER IN AFGHANISTAN TO THE PUBLIC, 2003 TO 2008

Please!
I guess my real conclusion is that nobody is going to be happy with the H&A when submissions like the above are legitimate examples of an award. That is all.

Tow Tripod said:
I do not mean any disrespect to any recipients  but if you have read any CANFORGENS in the last little while and if you are not scratching the side of your head until you reach bone then we may be of like mind!
FOR DEDICATION AND CREATIVE EFFORTS IN WRITING ARTICLES THAT ACCURATELY COMMUNICATED THE LIFE OF A TYPICAL CDN SOLDIER IN AFGHANISTAN TO THE PUBLIC, 2003 TO 2008

Please!
I guess my real conclusion is that nobody is going to be happy with the H&A when submissions like the above are legitimate examples of an award. That is all.

You might not agree with why someone recieved a commendation or award, but you don't have to. Picking an individual citation like that and bashing it without any justifiation carries no water. A less diplomatic person might say it's full of crap.  Personally, I think a CDS commendation for the above is very appropriate. IMO, this individual took the effort to really explain to Canadian citizens exactly what it's like to be a member of the CF in this day and age, which is important. If you're thankful that Canadian soldiers have such support from Canadians, one of the people you want to buy a beer for is Russell Storring.

What we are trying to achieve in Afghanistan is important, but the Main Stream Media (with few exceptions) hasn't been able to express this to Canadians at home. Anything can be done to raise the profile of those who actually do the job (as opposed to certain so-called 'defence expert' wankers and thier opinions), is mission critical.  This individual, for a five year period (in which he did two, three (?) deployments), consistently captured the essence of not just being a soldier, but a parent and husband as well. It was high-profile, important work, and it took a lot of courage on his part and his family to do it. Anyone who does any writing on a professional basis understands the scope and scale of the amount of work this must have taken, none of which he was under any obligation to do. I think this NCO richly deserves the recognition.

Tow Tripod said:
Unfortunately their will always be support trades in waiting with their palms open saying "What about me and my unit"

While very small numbers of INDIVIDUALS across elements, branches, and trades may gripe about not getting awards/recognition for thier efforts, they aren't nearly as ignorant as folks who make grand, uninformed generalizations about entire branches/corps and their worthiness for honours and awards. (Hint: look in a mirror).

Tow Tripod said:
That is all.

If you're going to make statements like the above, "No disrespect", but I hope so.

I agree with TOW TRIPOD.  the citation he mentioned was extremely gay.  getting an award for being able to form a sentence on paper is pretty silly.

Otto, TOW and many others, can make any statement they want about other trades and the such.  Most of the time those people who are offended are more embarrassed because they know its true.  So why don't you go take a good look in the mirror.

Please also take note, if you are going to make posts or statements about the opinions of an Infantry WO, please ensure that you understand what an infantry WO does, and realize that he is entitled to his opinion.  And after 19 years in uniform, his opinion is more than likely based on fact.

GINge! said:
For the Health Services Unit* for TF 1-06, they are looking at the Role 1 Coy medics as being eligible and the Role 3 mbrs ineligible. There is going to be a lot of hair splitting (ie, Role 3 medics who back filled Role 1 guys on HLTA, Role 1 guys that never left the KAF UMS, etc).

* I don't think the HSU got it's own UIC until Roto 5. It will make the Roto 6 C-in-C eligibility even harder to determine as the Role 1 Coy was part of the HSU, not the BG, and as such was considered a TF asset. At least according to CFTPO. I'd hate for some deserving medics to not get this recognition because the letter of the law put them in a different unit, when the reality was they were out with the BG.

GINge...

I got an email the other day on this subject. The Role 1 HSS for 1-06 is included. During that roto, Role 1 and Role 3 were different units (Role 1 was actually BG HSS Coy), although there was some cross pollination. TF 1-08 will be a harder nut to crack if there's an award in the future as both coys were of the same unit.

The only time I seem to come on here is to stick up for poor TOW Tripod!!  First, CONGRATULATIONS to him on HIS CDS Commendation and another congratulations for not being afraid to say what a lot troops are thinking.  I know I was fuming after reading his citation and then seeing what others had done to "earn" the same award.  If others find his comments offensive and alarming, that is worrisome, because his perception is shared amongst most of his peers. 

Consider the politics of the C-in-C Commendations that started this thread.  An award to one Bn from each regiment - very convenient.  Maybe they are three compareable tours and something got lost in the translation.  I know the cynical and bitter Kiwi of years past would weigh in on this - he can speak with credibility on the last one and compare it to the other two.  Although his recent level of diplomacy may get in the way!

TOW Tripod - I hope your war wounds (gout from Kabul!!) are healing!!

Kiwi99 said:
I agree with TOW TRIPOD.  the citation he mentioned was extremely gay.  getting an award for being able to form a sentence on paper is pretty silly.

Otto, TOW and many others, can make any statement they want about other trades and the such.  Most of the time those people who are offended are more embarrassed because they know its true.  So why don't you go take a good look in the mirror.

Please also take note, if you are going to make posts or statements about the opinions of an Infantry WO, please ensure that you understand what an infantry WO does, and realize that he is entitled to his opinion.  And after 19 years in uniform, his opinion is more than likely based on fact.

Thanks for your .02 TOW. We'll have to agree to disagree on your first statement. Completely.

I am not in the least bit offended by your second statement. I know what I did in theatre, as I am sure you do for your deployments as well. Do I think I deserve an award for what I did? I really don't. Neither do most folks. At the end of the day, I know I worked my butt off on both of my deployments. I tried my hardest to do a good job, and look after my people. I made mistakes, but learned a lot. Most people who deploy can honestly say the same thing. While some folks may believe they deserve some formal recognition for what they did, the fact is people are normally nominated by their chain of command, not themselves. Excellence is not restricted to the combat arms, and it takes a 'cast of thousands' to ensure every person at the pointy end is transported to the fight, fed and watered, clothed and armed, and informed on the threat. If you don't have those elements in place, you cannot do your job. It would be wrong (and a little arrogant, IMO) to make judgements bashing an individual for hard work and dedication (mainly to support folks like you) that a one-paragraph citation can't really do justice to. If I wasn't there, I trust the fact that someone is doing the right thing by recognizing them. Is the system perfect? Nope. But I think it hits the target more often than not.

Finally, and frankly, I do not discount the statement of an infantry WO with 19 years in lightly. I acknowledge that I do not completely understand what an infantry WO does, because I am not one. I admit can't see it from his side; Perhaps it is my relative inexperience that prevents me from making observations about the inner motivations of other trades that someone in his (and your I presume) position are somehow entitled to make. But I don't need to be an infantry WO to have my own opinion and debate the issue.  If you say his argument is supported by time in, I'd be grateful if he could justify his statements with facts and his experience, rather than broad statements about how everyone in a support trade has their hand out for recognition, and awards for their service are not as worthy as yours.

I respectfully suggest as much as he is entitled to his so-called facts (which I have yet to see), I am entitled to mine.

Cheers,

PuckChaser said:
Nope. I inquired through my chain, and unless you were in the UIC for the Battlegroup, you get nothing. That leaves out the NSE folks, ASIC, NCE, and possibly the CIED guys (I have to confirm at work Monday as I think R4 had the CIED Sqn detached from the Field Sqns and not part of the BG).
The teams from 1-07 onward were detached as part of TF C-IED

Dirty Patricia said:
The only time I seem to come on here is to stick up for poor TOW Tripod!!  First, CONGRATULATIONS to him on HIS CDS Commendation and another congratulations for not being afraid to say what a lot troops are thinking.  I know I was fuming after reading his citation and then seeing what others had done to "earn" the same award.  If others find his comments offensive and alarming, that is worrisome, because his perception is shared amongst most of his peers. 

Consider the politics of the C-in-C Commendations that started this thread.  An award to one Bn from each regiment - very convenient.  Maybe they are three compareable tours and something got lost in the translation.  I know the cynical and bitter Kiwi of years past would weigh in on this - he can speak with credibility on the last one and compare it to the other two.  Although his recent level of diplomacy may get in the way!

TOW Tripod - I hope your war wounds (gout from Kabul!!) are healing!!

Kiwi99 said:

And I should sum up? There are plenty of awards I see coming from the "pointy end" that are lame as hell....9 liner....really?

Searched the DIN to try and see how many units that deployed got one of these citations, couldn't find a list. My bets are that by now most units, ships and air sqns, that have deployed have one: Or the other bizillion levels of commendation out there. Just like every staff officer and command team has gotten the MSM for doing a good job.

In the olden days, you looked at a guys medals and hat badge. That seemed to be enough. You saw the theatre he served in, if he was awarded a gallantry medal which included MID. Other than pension issues, I never met a WWII guy who felt that he wasn't adequately recognized for his service. I met a DCM winner who still got the extra $5 or some trivial stipend on his pension for his award.

The current exercise in dick measuring goes to the extreme. At the end of the day, the badges and $3 will get you a beer at the legion.
If every second dude gets an MSM or every deployed unit gets a commendation, it makes them kind of cheap Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a place on the PER for outstanding.

Medals should go to those mbrs that truly perform beyond expected level of performance.

PuckChaser said:
UIC 2426 JTFA - Inf BG also leaves out UIC 2429 JTFA - Arty Bty and UIC 2430 JTFA - CS Engr Sqn.  If the award is UIC dependant, then it does not matter when C-IED split from the Engr Sqn.

Maybe there's more people being left out from these awards than originally thought.

PuckChaser said:
Maybe there's more people being left out from these awards than originally thought.
Fortunately, most such people will survive being left out.

ModlrMike said:
GINge...

I got an email the other day on this subject. The Role 1 HSS for 1-06 is included. During that roto, Role 1 and Role 3 were different units (Role 1 was actually BG HSS Coy), although there was some cross pollination. TF 1-08 will be a harder nut to crack if there's an award in the future as both coys were of the same unit.

M - good to know. We have been using the CFTPO history tool to track down the folks in the TF 1-06 HSS coy

As for subsequent rotos... unless someone put the HSU up for something, I think the BG medics will go without the commendation.

AJC said:
Searched the DIN to try and see how many units that deployed got one of these citations, couldn't find a list. My bets are that by now most units, ships and air sqns, that have deployed have one: Or the other bizillion levels of commendation out there. Just like every staff officer and command team has gotten the MSM for doing a good job.

In the olden days, you looked at a guys medals and hat badge. That seemed to be enough. You saw the theatre he served in, if he was awarded a gallantry medal which included MID. Other than pension issues, I never met a WWII guy who felt that he wasn't adequately recognized for his service. I met a DCM winner who still got the extra $5 or some trivial stipend on his pension for his award.

The current exercise in dick measuring goes to the extreme. At the end of the day, the badges and $3 will get you a beer at the legion.
If every second dude gets an MSM or every deployed unit gets a commendation, it makes them kind of cheap Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a place on the PER for outstanding.

Medals should go to those mbrs that truly perform beyond expected level of performance.

Easy there tiger... Your bet would be one I'd be happy to take. 

If you google "Commander In Chief Unit Commendation", the first link you get is http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=CinCCommendation

That, and a general knowledge of CF current affairs, will tell you that a total of six Units have so far been awarded the C in C commendation.  So before you disparage an award that those who have earned it are very justifiably proud of, it would make sense to at least know what you're talking about.  They are not indeed "kind of cheap."

And as a general bit of advice, the DIN search engine is less than useful... All I ever seem to be able to get is hits to Standing Orders in Esquimalt and Cadet instructions... Save the frustration and just google. 

I think AJC might be confusing this with the Canadian Forces Unit Commendation, which is not worn by members of the unit. Its a big honking medallion that COs probably keep in their office. I think most units in the CF have one of these.

The lastest from the rumour net says the date for the presentation parade for the 1 RCR BG (TF3-06) is 24 FEB '11...  can anyone confirm this?

I was cc'd on an email from the CO 2 RCHA (who had commanded E Bty on 3-06) which included a message from the CO 1 RCR to that effect.

RHFC_piper said:
The lastest from the rumour net says the date for the presentation parade for the 1 RCR BG (TF3-06) is 24 FEB '11...  can anyone confirm this?
That would coincide roughly with the 1RCR Change of Command.

Back