• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

We haven't got into dress and deportment yet, but can we bring this back to The Big Game Bird Hunter?

Just curious if he has been replaced yet?

Well, we now know at least two CAF bases that promote hunting as a sport among members of the Officer's Mess.

But, hunting doesn't promote teamwork as much. It's generally a solitary endeavor. If you're a bad shot hunting big game, it would certainly promote cardiovascular fitness. :oops:🦬

Hunting is a solitary sport until you shoot a 1600lb moose in bog.

I was told that in 4 CMBG, almost every army unit had a coy/sqn composed of hockey players or guys who excelled in sports. These guys devoted themselves to sports and to were trained to compete to win in the annual 4 CMBG sports competition and hockey championships. I didn't believe until I was part of a coy(-) sent over to augment 4 Svc Bn, back when there was a 4 CMBG, for a Corps Ex. One of the first things the CO asked me was who were the Bn hockey players. Sure enough two of my guys were posted to 4 Svc Bn the following year.
My Dad was stationed in Lahr in the early 70s and ended up running the senior hockey league. Two teams in Lahr and two in Baden. It was pretty good hockey and the Arrowhead arena in Lahr was usually pretty full for the games as I remember.

I remember a story of the Base Commander of Petawawa involved in a moose hunting incident. Helicopters, and other DND equipment used. late 80s I think. Maybe some one here has more information that can be shared

Hunting is a solitary sport until you shoot a 1600lb moose in bog.
Reminds me of the time I was sitting in the mess in Shilo having a beer - yes, there were times I drank alone in those days - when Carl Gustafson came in wearing his winter whites covered from head to foot in blood (In Manitoba hunters had to wear white) and asked me if I'd help him drag a deer out of the bush. I did. Dug around in the gut pile for the heart and found Carl had pretty much shredded it with a direct hit.

It was a lot lighter than that moose, but point taken.

;)

It must be something about Trenton Base Commanders that naturally leans to myth, rumour . . . okay, outright scandal. One that I've heard over the years was a BComd (or former BComd on his posting out) shipped his car to Europe in a Herc.

Reminds me of the time I was sitting in the mess in Shilo having a beer - yes, there were times I drank alone in those days - when Carl Gustafson came in wearing his winter whites covered from head to foot in blood (In Manitoba hunters had to wear white) and asked me if I'd help him drag a deer out of the bush. I did. Dug around in the gut pile for the heart and found Carl had pretty much shredded it with a direct hit.

It was a lot lighter than that moose, but point taken.

;)

Ugh deer heart. Yes please. Do you speak it in milk for a while first ?

Hunting is my passion. This whole Navy thing gets in the way lol. Maybe the Wing Commander is on to something lol

The DLN courses must be working, at least these charges are not sexual in nature. I think this is a step in the right direction, but more work still needs to be done.

We haven't got into dress and deportment yet, but can we bring this back to The Big Game Bird Hunter?

Just curious if he has been replaced yet?

Yup

Ugh deer heart. Yes please. Do you speak it in milk for a while first ?
I only had deer heart once at a game dinner - it was stuffed with mushrooms and quite good. No idea if it was soaked in milk first.

At home my mother frequently made sweet and sour beef (calf) or pork heart and lung stew - old Bavarian recipe. No presoaking in milk that I know of although I think they were soaked in water and then boiled and skimmed before chopping up, adding of vegetables and making the gravy. I could never stand Bavarian dumplings which are supposed to accompany this and always had crusty rolls for dipping in the gravy.

🍻

We don’t actually know what else he may have done to the duck. He had to have a good reason for trying to shoot it so recklessly.

He was Army Reserve before going Reg F; maybe he was The RCR adjacent when it comes to ducks?

Looney Tunes Dancing GIF

I remember a story of the Base Commander of Petawawa involved in a moose hunting incident. Helicopters, and other DND equipment used. late 80s I think. Maybe some one here has more information that can be shared
Army ‘CLUE’: It was…BGen Douglas…in the training area…from a Kiowa…

Edit to add: Technically I think he was DEERFAC’ing from the Kiowa, the TOVIT was reportedly 5/4ton-enabled.

*Terrestrial O
docoileus Virginianus Interception Team

Back