• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

On a more serious note, the Colonel was probably inebriated (just a guess seeing as he was on leave)...
That's a bit of a stretch, given there is no open source reporting of alcohol related charges,. But alcohol could have contributed to the careless use charge, even if not legally impaired.

Not everyone needs to be drunk to do dumb stuff.

Not everyone needs to be drunk to do dumb stuff.
Yup having done a few dumb things sober and seeing others do dumb stuff sober too.
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

I have heard through a source (I know, rumours) that he was in the company of a squadron/lodger commander or senior member who has temporarily been suspended from their command. No charges because they didn't do anything but, internally, a pee-pee slap.

The good Colonel has been permanently removed from command. O.P.P. also announced that he was in possession of a .22 caliber revolver during the same incident. This would be contrary to several sections of the Firearms Act.
Case heard in court yesterday - back in court 26 October ....

You would think as a full Colonel and Base Commander, you would be 100x more careful in how you did things off base. You can arrange range days fairly easy, you can get paid to shoot things on a Base range, you are trained to use firearms in a safe manner.
If this was some enlisted man we would not hear about it other than a quick headline if that on the back page, but this makes National News because who he is or was.

I hope there is room in the basement of Winnipeg or Ottawa to hide him till he retires or is retired.

You would think as a full Colonel and Base Commander, you would be 100x more careful in how you did things off base. You can arrange range days fairly easy, you can get paid to shoot things on a Base range, you are trained to use firearms in a safe manner.
If this was some enlisted man we would not hear about it other than a quick headline if that on the back page, but this makes National News because who he is or was.

I hope there is room in the basement of Winnipeg or Ottawa to hide him till he retires or is retired.
Or, if guilty, administratively release him.

The good Colonel has been permanently removed from command. O.P.P. also announced that he was in possession of a .22 caliber revolver during the same incident. This would be contrary to several sections of the Firearms Act.
How dumb do you have to be to jettison a restricted weapon? I'm guessing it was legally registered - but I suspect he had no ATT (or whatever they are these days) to take it out duck poaching...

I don't think you comprehend how some people on these levels really don't think the rules are the same for them.

How dumb do you have to be to jettison a restricted weapon? I'm guessing it was legally registered - but I suspect he had no ATT (or whatever they are these days) to take it out duck poaching...
Seeing as you can only hunt poach ducks in Ontario with a long or crossbow or shot gun (meeting hunting regs), I'm guessing his permit to transport wouldn't include hunting poaching as an authorized use.

Update: Col Dahl has pled guilty on a pretty sweet plea deal. Conditional discharge with 12 months probation, a firearms forfeiture, and a $500 donation to Ducks Unlimited. He also caught a firearms prohibition (rightly so) save for in the course of his military duties.

A rifle and pistol were both dumped in the canal as police approached, and a search warrant of his home found three unsecured long guns.

So basically a whole ton of poor judgement and poor conduct. He:’s exceptionally lucky he’s getting away without a criminal record so long as he serves out his probation succesfully.

Update: Col Dahl has pled guilty on a pretty sweet plea deal. Conditional discharge with 12 months probation, a firearms forfeiture, and a $500 donation to Ducks Unlimited. He also caught a firearms prohibition (rightly so) save for in the course of his military duties.

A rifle and pistol were both dumped in the canal as police approached, and a search warrant of his home found three unsecured long guns.

So basically a whole ton of poor judgement and poor conduct. He:’s exceptionally lucky he’s getting away without a criminal record so long as he serves out his probation succesfully.
Will the CAF take any action remains to be seen.

A criminal conviction, even a Conditional Discharge, will be on his conduct sheet. This should result in an AR.

Back