• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Army Phase

Nfld Sapper said:
Best to ask via COC or your Training WO.

In progess, however I have found from previous experience that army.ca can tell me things faster haha.

My training WO gave me the following information:

According to the Army National Calendar CAP takes place on the following dates:

CAP MOD 1 - 5 START 28 May 07 END 10 Aug 07  - 3 Anglo Serials

1 - 5 START 18 Jun 07 END 31 Aug 07 - 3 Anglo Serials

1 - 5 START 17 Sep 07 END 30 Nov 07 -  2 Bilingual serials 2 Anglo Serials

Each Mod is 2 weeks long.  IE    MOD 1 28 may - 8 Jun

2 11 Jun - 22 Jun

3 25 Jun - 6 Jul

4   9 Jul - 20 Jul

5 23 Jul - 10 Aug

I am wondering if CAP is now the same for reg force and reserve members? It would seem so.

Is there normally a long weekend where one can fly out their wife for a conjugal visit? (Or as my wife calls it the "you left me with a 6 month old baby and 3 school aged kids for 11 weeks so you better fly me out so I can kick your A## visit!) :)

I am scheduled to do the 11 weeks starting on Sept. 17th. I am a bit worried about being lost in the woods (hey I am from the bald arse plains) and the humid cold. I was only in NB once and I have never been so cold in my life. (It was Septemberrrrrr :crybaby:)

I'll be with you Cardstonkid...

I assume your Reserves?

Same course Reg and Reserve.  Normally Canada Day is a long weekend and leave passes are issued.

My husband and youngest came from Halifax to visit every weekend.  Leave passes were required any time we weren't going to be sleeping in the shacks whether it was inside or outside the geographical radius normally requiring a leave pass.  There were the typical travel restrictions on Fridays after coming out of the field (ie. no driving for 12 hours or something like that) -- not even to Fredericton; however, there was no enforcement of the rule.

SamIAm said:
There were the typical travel restrictions on Fridays after coming out of the field (ie. no driving for 12 hours or something like that) -- not even to Fredericton; however, there was no enforcement of the rule.

Get into an accident during that period of no travel, or get caught by the DS of your course and see what happens.

The rules are there because a few years ago some students were involved in a vehicular accident that was caused by driver fatigue.

They had just gotten out of the field after an ex and were pretty much the equivelant of being drunk because of the exhaustive nature of the ex.

Regardless if you are driving or not, wait the 12 hours. It's not worth getting caught.

Regards

Hey -- up until 11 months ago, I was an insurance lawyer.  I agree with you 100%.  I am just telling you that the rule was stated but not enforced. 

Redeye said:
Same course Reg and Reserve.  Normally Canada Day is a long weekend and leave passes are issued.

Except for IAP/BOTP.  At least when I did IAP/BOTP.  Canada Day was a working day, and we were in the Field, actually.

Don't count on the leave pass being issued for the Canada Day long weekend. I'm not saying it won't happen, just don't count on it.

My hubby did courses over that timeframe two years in a row, and he did not have the long weekend off either one. He did, however, get his "deferred holiday" at the end of the course... ::)

It depends on the course, the DS, and (in my experience) the will of God.

lol the DS dont work by the will of God, they work by the will of their Platoon Commanders  ;D. I think to many the only god there is, is the CDS  ;)

People should note that CAP is taught in 2 week modules now which means people come and go every two weeks.  As a result, barring field time or CB incidents, most weekends will be free.

You can't provide an answer regarding current CAPs by looking at previous CAPs before modularization.

Can anyone provide some information as to the differences in training between taking:

a) BMQ, SQ, BIQ - for NCM Infantry Resevists

b) BMQ, CAP - for Infantry Officer Reservist

In terms of learning all of the small party tasks, weapons handling, etc. that were discussed in detail in the SQ thread, will someone going into an Officer role (who is currently in BMQ) get the same training on the CAP course this summer?

I am on BMQ, to be on CAP this summer. Just want to know if I am missing on anything by not having taken the NCM courses before going commisioned? Will the CAP cover all aspects of the other NCM courses (+ much more) or is it a whole different ball game? :warstory:
Thanks

CAP = Common Army Phase

Before you can reach CAP, you have to first have BMQ, AND BOTP2 (or what ever they call it today)

BOTP2 = Small party taskings, and all the things you need to do for basic battle procedures and all that good stuff.

CAP will include an SQ version for officers. You will be taught, all your small arms in a platoon. Your platoon support weapons, and your personal weapons all over again. No, you're not missing anything by not having taken NCM courses academically.

The only thing I can think of that you'll miss is having the ability to think like your troops, and an officer at the same time. What I'm trying to say is that, when you've been there, you're less likely to make your troops do stupid redundant things before thinking. Because you'll know how much you hated doing that, and how much your troops will hate doing that. That is only my opinion. I am not saying that those officers who have never been in the ranks have ordered their troops to do stupid things. What I am saying is that depending on the type of person you are, you may benefit from having time in the ranks.

To answer your main question of will CAP cover all aspects of the other NCM courses. The answer is no. It will give you the knowledge to plan road moves and command a section, however, it will not teach you anything about what your troops does. My advice is that after your course this summer, if you're posted to a platoon position as a 2IC, or even a Pl Comd is to listen to your Pl WO and your Snr NCOs. You'll learn allot from them that will be the fillers between your course knowledge and command practicality.

Much appreciated response- more or less addresses what I am trying to ask.
On BMQ now as I said, will be doing BOTP2 and CAP back to back once BMQ is done this summer.

Next related question- perhaps not completely related to the CAP course. To speak quite frankly:
- Will I be at a major disadvantage for not having time within the ranks and coming out with an Officer rank? I mean this in terms of general leadership, respect, etc. within the platoon- particularly NCMs.
How can this be mitigated?

For some reason I keep thinking that ideally I should be doing SQ, BIQ this summer, getting all the training out of the way, spending that half year or year in the ranks, then moving onto BOTP2 and CAP and taking on more of a leadership position.
Any thoughts or comments on these 2 paths?

kielbam said:
Next related question- perhaps not completely related to the CAP course. To speak quite frankly:
- Will I be at a major disadvantage for not having time within the ranks and coming out with an Officer rank? I mean this in terms of general leadership, respect, etc. within the platoon- particularly NCMs.
How can this be mitigated?

Listen to the advice of your senior ncos. Like I said before, depending on your type of personality, you may or may not have been disadvantaged severely for not having time in the ranks.

MedTech said:
Listen to the advice of your senior ncos. Like I said before, depending on your type of personality, you may or may not have been disadvantaged severely for not having time in the ranks.

Also, its good for "new" Tp Ldr's, Pl Cmdrs, etc to get the knowledge and experience and advice of more senior officers at times.  I would at times recommend a junior officer to the Sqn BC for advice if it was more of an "officer" issue than a "here is what happens in a recce tp" issue.

Up and down the CoC works...but yes, listen to the wisdom and (cough cough) guidance of the WOs and Sgts too.

hehehehe yes MRM I meant the 'new' platoon level leaderships that pop in and out of our lives regularly. *ooops* I'm a the platoon level leadership... but! I also listen to what I preach, I take the advice of my Snr NCOs very seriously  ;)

Back