• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Army Phase

One correction (minor it may seem).  On CAP, you do not learn the platoon support weapons.  You learn that on IODP 1.1 (dismounted platoon commander).  On CAP you only learn of the section weapons.

ooops sorry :D... that's my SQ side creepy up. Thanks for correcting it :)

Can someone please post or email me the:

a) Kit list
b) Notes/Lessons (ie. powerpoints)
c) Course Timetable

For this summer's CAP?
I don't have access to the DIN and cannot find this stuff on the infantry school website.

kielbam said:
Can someone please post or email me the:

a) Kit list
b) Notes/Lessons (ie. powerpoints)
c) Course Timetable

For this summer's CAP?
I don't have access to the DIN and cannot find this stuff on the infantry school website.

a) As per the joining instructions you would receive, bring ALL the kit you have been issued IAW D01-301 (Basic Field Ops Clothing Scale). That's all your field kit, and all your DEU. If you are already entitled to it you should be reporting with it already issued to you. Visit your supporting clothing stores, get a print out of your docs, and pack it all. Also ask them to set you up with an appointment to get issued the kit you are entitled to but haven't received yet. If you aren't entitled to it, your clothing is not going to issue it, even if it is on the scale but the scale notes deem you "not entitled."

And no worries, if you aren't entitled to it yet or become entitled once on the CAP, you will be visiting CSG Gagetown en masse with the rest of your course to be issued it during week 1. Please don't come in saying "I need one of these issued because I left mine at home...."

b)  Just confirmed with 9er, and these are not handed out to candidates.

c)  Also confirmed with 9er, timetable is not handed out to candidates pre-course. It's always subject to change due to whatever circumstances are occuring at the time so whatever time-table you are generally provided with upon beginning the course may still fluctuate.

Thanks alot,

the course notes/powerpoint request is as per some members of this board who said it would make life a bit easier during classroom sessions.

As for the kit I wasn't issued yet, I know I am deficient in tons of stuff, as I am only doing the BMQ now and the clothing stores don't seem to give 2 shits about what I am missing or not (other than the very minimum of kit req'd for BMQ) since they aren't aware of my summer course plans. I'll be in touch with my unit staff this week to sort this out before its too late.

I have no DEU issued yet as well, hope it won't be a problem getting it sorted out.

Thanks for your help, please pass along any other information that you feel may be beneficial for CAP candidates this summer.

You will not require your DEUs.  Your section mates will thank you if you don't have them because they are only required for the section inspection standard.  If you don't have them, they won't be inspected on them either.

kielbam said:
I have no DEU issued yet as well, hope it won't be a problem getting it sorted out.

Then CSG Gagetown will be ordering your initial issue of DEU for you.  ;)

Piper said:
Dredging this thread up again, to ask a question that always gets asked.

Can someone please email me the joining instructions for CAP? I asked my SEM, she said email my ULO. I emailed my ULO, he said find a computer with access to the DIN. But I don't have access to a DIN computer yet and I don't know when I will.

If at all possible, it would help me plan if someone could email them to me if possible.

Me too, similar story  ;D

My email's kunaal.majmudar@gmail.com.

Thanks!

kielbam said:
Next related question- perhaps not completely related to the CAP course. To speak quite frankly:
- Will I be at a major disadvantage for not having time within the ranks and coming out with an Officer rank? I mean this in terms of general leadership, respect, etc. within the platoon- particularly NCMs.
How can this be mitigated?

For some reason I keep thinking that ideally I should be doing SQ, BIQ this summer, getting all the training out of the way, spending that half year or year in the ranks, then moving onto BOTP2 and CAP and taking on more of a leadership position.
Any thoughts or comments on these 2 paths?

It can be mitigated by being good at your job. 

Yes,  I know many NCOs who insist that to be a good officer one needs to spend time in the ranks.  I've heard NCOs talk about an officer, in a not so nice way, then when they heard he was 'from the ranks' they suddenly wanted to give him another chance.  Having been in the ranks before gives many officers allot of credibility.  With that said, I know a few really good officers that did BOTC I, II and CAP and have earned the respect of their troops. 

Conversely, I know one officer in particular,  who comments on how he was commissioned from the ranks every 15 minutes (yes same guy as above). He can't be wrong because he 'was commissioned from the ranks'.  He refuses to admit he is doesn't know something, shifts blame and displays many other undesirable qualities, and when confronted with it, simply parrots out 'I come from the ranks'.  (He isn't the most mocked officer I've ever seen,  but I have a few really really amusing examples of "failures of the officer board screening process".) Actually now that I think of it,  I know another guy, a 2Lt that was on my course who passed BMQ/SQ, who did the same - but I can't comment on how his troops view him. 

One's initial training is just that.  Initial. The real test of one as a leader is when leading.  Pay attention,  respect the dignity of your troops, promote their welfare, don't abuse your power/authority etc.  If you honestly put in an effort to be good at what you do,  you will likely earn the respect of your peers.

Zell, nice post, I had the same thing in my old Regiment, some officers lead very well never having been in the ranks!

For kielbam, if you do the Basic, and then SQ and then trade qualification, that might take you longer than the summer (unless you are talking about the reserves) and then if you think they would let you just move into officer training you are mistaken. You would have to finish your contract which could be 3-4 years depending, and then most Commissioning programs require you to be minimum rank of Cpl and be QL4 qualified. Then you need to apply and go into a competition and then you might not make it for the trade you are trying for. I would think it would be best to apply for officer right away and see where that gets you. Whatever the decision, good luck!

oh my... :eek: I'm actually scared of knowing how my troops view me now... damnations.

MedTech said:
oh my... :eek: I'm actually scared of knowing how my troops view me now... damnations.

(this is off on a bit of an aside)

I don't know how it is in other regiments,  but (as a Jr Officer) I have never been in any doubt as to the opinions the Senior and non Senior NCOs have of me.  Not for one instant have I ever wondered "what does the Sgt think I should do this?"  (I'm exaggerating of course)  But my basic point is most NCOs will freely let you know what is what and if you take the time to really listen to what they are saying it can save you all kinds of grief. 

It has been my experience that people want to respect you.  People want to look at you and say "he is a good officer".  You just have to give them a reason to think that.  On the flip side,  if you've gotten a rap as a ... less than inspiring and skillfull leader,  I have seen people turn it around.  My honest opinion is that if you allow those around you to give you honest feedback,  it is very hard for you to go wrong.  (I'm not even going to put in here about not allowing NCOs to adversely controll you with advice - I have never seen it happen, I've done it to my Boss in Civi-world though)

Back to CAP - I am soo excited to go this summer.  (I feel like a kid again, I'll admit I got butterflies)  I know a few good officers, who had a bit of a rough go with it,  so I'll just have to do my best.  Who else is hitting gagetown this summer?

Ah! I'm not actually worried. I'm one of those natural leaders that all the troops love and... blah.. blah.. *trails off with the self boast, as he realizes it's all a lie*  ;)

All seriousness. CAP is a good course, it was fun and informative. Only wished I finished it in one go!

MedTech said:
Ah! I'm not actually worried. I'm one of those natural leaders that all the troops love and... blah.. blah.. *trails off with the self boast, as he realizes it's all a lie*  ;)
All seriousness. CAP is a good course, it was fun and informative. Only wished I finished it in one go!

I hope I'm able to do all of CAP this summer.

I kinda knew you had no reason to worry.  ;-)  Everyone I've seen I'd classify as a bad leader (officer and NCO) had one thing in common,  they didn't focus on actually being good at what they're doing, insted tending to their own concerns.  For example,  earlier today a MCpl came in to give a lecture,  he wanted to draw a clock (for some reason he wanted to explain arch's of fire).  In front of the white board there was a white screen for projector.... he pulled out a dry marker and proceeded to draw a circle on the pull down screen.

After he realised what he did,  he simply pulled up the screen and then wrote on the white board.  After he mumbled about overlapping at 11 and 2 he turned around.  He stopped and asked why we were laughing.  Yes we did do pushups because we were snickering.  For the rest of the lecture everything he said was tainted by what he did. I managed to keep myself under controll until he started to talk about paying attention to details. 

If he would have simply gone "oh man,  that was dumb" and moved on.  It would have simply been that.  But because he tried to cover it up,  tried to install an air of infallibility it made it funnier.

I've been told that Mod 1 is the ranges.  Any heads up as to what to expect?

My bf is currently in Gagetown finishing CAP. He's a young OCdt Cameron Highlander reservist (I don't know if this makes a difference to what kind of training he has to go through). I was just wondering if anyone who'd experienced what he's doing had any ideas for helping him through all this. Most of the time he finds it bearable but as I can't really understand what he's going through it'd be nice to have some suggestions on things that helped everyone else feel a bit better (obviously specifics are different for everyone but even that might help).

Just be rerady for him when he wants to talk or call you. There will be times when he'll call just to hear your voice, how your day was or hat you've been doing. Since life is almost normal for you, he'll want to hear you laugh and joke about your day. It's a good time to try and talk to him about his experiences, support him and despite it being hard to undertsand, try. There will definitely be moments where he'll act like a little kid to get ttention from you, whine, complain, sound like he's just looking for a fight. He's not... Well not really. CAP is stressful, but bearable. There will be moments where hewill be almost unbearable, but just keep in mind that it's probably not you. Anyways, hope that helps.

When I went through CAP my better half was wonderful. She'll try and stop doing something so that we could chat even for 5 mins. It's not often that candidates get a chance to call home.

I finished CAP last fall in Gagetown. I am a Reservist and I did the 3 month course with the one week pre-CAP and a two week wait for my serial to begin. I am married with 4 kids and two step kids, so I think my wife deserves a medal. CAP is at times pretty tough on the spirits and the body, but it really isn't that bad overall. The biggest thing for me was to hear my wife's voice, to find out what was going on and knowing she was going to make it. I knew she didn't know what I was doing, frankly she really doesn't care to much about Army stuff but I understood she knew why I was in Gagetown and she not only respected me for it but she agreed that what I was doing was worth her sacrifice too.

CAP will be over before you know it. My time away from my wife made us both appreciate each other more and it helped us grow our relationship. Knowing she has my back makes me a better soldier. I found out just how important that was on CAP.

Back