• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Normally the term "Merit Listed" indicates that you are high up on the list for promotion.

I guess some would argue that a change from being a civilian to someone in uniform could be considered a promotion.  ;D

But I do believe said Captain used the wrong term.  Good reminder to those of us that know better to correct small mistakes like these so "up and comers" aren't scratching their heads too much.  Misprounouncing a last name is a common one that goes on FOREVER uncorrected.  But using the wrong rank doesn't go too far when it usually results in a free beverage for the person being referred to.  Perhaps all small mistakes should be dealt with in the same manor.  :cheers: 

Now that's a CANFORGEN I would like to see. 

Bin

I finally have been merit listed. All though i am wondering about how merit listing works for people going into the infantry. I know they do it in real time, and that there is no board per say, just done electronically. But i wonder then why even merit list you why not just give you a job offer. They know where they need people before i got listed, so why not just say hey your good to go, here you go. I am not going to basic or training just rejoining. Got out 8 months ago, in for 3 years want back in. I just hope this wait is not to long.

But i wonder then why even merit list you why not just give you a job offer.

There was a plan to decentralize the offer process for hard to fill occupations down to the CFRC/D level to make the process faster and easier but that never came to fruition.  Perhaps later perhaps not.

What i dont understand is why this process takes so long. When an applicant who has prior service trys to get back into the military, and they complete all the tests, interview, paper work etc. and they know that they need say 100 guys for infantry still why not send his file, name etc to the career manager or whomever is in charge of that and offer them a job instantly. Especially for infantry guys, and with guys who have prior service and just got out or guys who do component transfers. They should stremline the re entry process for these guys. Just my thoughts
Pete

I've recently been told that I have been merit listed. Now, I do not want to call CFRC because, quite frankly, I've called them enough! Instead I would like to call my regiment I've applied to, and ask them what's going on. Is this recommended, or would they not be able to answer any of my questions? Any help would be much obliged.

If you are going Reg force I dont suggest that you call thu unit because they will tell you to go through the CFRC, because with all honesty, units dont know what their getting, not to mention you still have to pass BMQ, SQ, BIQ if you go 031 and anything can happen between those courses, you also have to pass your trades training if your going other trades so between you getting merit listed at thr recruiting centre and you getting to a unit anything can happen.  So keep bugging the recruiting centre because to be honest with you your future unit does'nt care until you get there.
Another example of how things work I am an instructor of basic training our next course starts in a week supposed to be 60 strong as a norm, and presently we have 20 confirmed, having said that when pers show up for BMQ some are there some are not some names dont even exist in our data base, certain pers get sent to ST Jean when they should of got sent to Borden and vice versa, so dont be discouraged , have faith and deal with it as it comes, you'll get there eventually.
SOLDIER ON!!

Thank you for the advice greyman. However, I failed to mention I 'm going res....so I'm calling the QOR today, hopefully they can shed some light on my situation. I've been waiting for almost a year.....just a little anxious is all. :salute:

I'm an Electrical Engineer. I submitted my application in Jan. 2006, done Aptitude, medical and interview in Feb. I called my recruting office to know the status of my application. They only said that my name is in merit list. Does anyone know what that means? Meantime I'm working on my phscial fitness. Thanks.

My understanding of this is that you have passed all the testing required by the CF, and they are waiting for a position to open up so that they may send you for training.

It means that you are now eligible to compete against all the other applicants for your occupation through selection.

Quick question: How long can one be on the merit board list for DEO AND COETP boards and will the Recruiting Centre provide status of placement within the list?

It depends on well you did on your CFAT and interview and how good your academic results are.  The overall score you received determines how competitive you are for the occupations you have applied for.  The last board was 15 Jun 06 and the next one is expected in four to six weeks.  The recruiting centre can't tell you where you are on the merit list because it is a national list and they are not privy to that information.  If you are selected you will be informed in due time and if you are not selected after a couple of boards then you will be counselled on what your options are that time.

Thank you for your quick response. 

The CO of the recruiting centre during my interview maintained that September will be my start date.  Given that all the required documents and tests with the exception of the fitness test (CEOTP are not required until do complete the fitness testing until acceptance) have been submitted in January 2006 I am assuming that ROTP candidates are given first choice in any BOTP/IAP sessions during the summer months and that if there exists any openings those openings will be filled with other recruit candidates such as myself.

However, one cannot control the uncontrollable and I should just continue to repress the excitement of entering new lifestyle and a new career until such time as I get my call. 

I am assuming that ROTP candidates are given first choice in any BOTP/IAP sessions during the summer months and that if there exists any openings those openings will be filled with other recruit candidates such as myself.

IAP/BOTPs in the summer are for ROTP only.

I think I did myself a disservice by going on this site.....too much content and not enough information.

Just to confirm:

The merit list is a list of candidates who meet the requirements for service, but have not gone to the selection board.  Those on the list only get to go to the board.  Once the board meets those on this list will be selected based not only on the amount merits derrived from the application process but on the number of positions availabile in his/her primary career choice. Correct?

Just attempting to confirm what information I have gathered about merit listing and the selection board process.  Do you have anything to confirm?

bw said:
I think I did myself a disservice by going on this site.....too much content and not enough information.

Just to confirm:

The merit list is a list of candidates who meet the requirements for service, but have not gone to the selection board.  Those on the list only get to go to the board.  Once the board meets those on this list will be selected based not only on the amount merits derrived from the application process but on the number of positions availabile in his/her primary career choice. Correct?

Correct.

Back