• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Hey all,

I've appllied as an aerospace engineer straight up and have been on the list for only a week now. Hope to get that call soon.

cheers

My recruiter told me my file was finally approved after 7 months cause I had to pay my debts.
I'm going signal operator. He told me he was going to put my file and it was going to go in a merit list.
How long does it usually take for them to call and was is a merit list exactly?
Do they take everyone that's better than you before you or something?

Ashlee?

Quote from: bw on June 20, 2006, 17:20:12

"The merit list is a list of candidates who meet the requirements for service, but have not gone to the selection board.  Those on the list only get to go to the board.  Once the board meets those on this list will be selected based not only on the amount merits derrived from the application process but on the number of positions availabile in his/her primary career choice."

This statement was confirmed as correct.

I quote...Because I did not know, So I searched the site and came across the information.

AA,

The merit listing works as per the post below.

How long it takes depends upon where you end up on that list, how many applicants there are for your chosen trade, and how many positions are "open" to be filled in that trade.

There is no set answer.

One can only wish you the best of luck and the hopes that you don't find yourself waiting too long.

Vern

AAmyotte said:
Do they take everyone that's better than you before you or something?

Well, just as a shot in the dark , the term "merit list" itself should answer your question.

CDN Aviator said:
Well, just as a shot in the dark , the term "merit list" itself should answer your question.

They didn't know what the term "merit list" meant -- ergo they asked what it meant.  ;)

I'm also suspecting ESL. Perhaps you could explain it's meaning to her in french?

(It could be just me, but I am sensing a french accent in her original post)

ArmyVern said:
They didn't know what the term "merit list" meant -- ergo they asked what it meant.  ;)

I'm also suspecting ESL. Perhaps you could explain it's meaning to her in french?

(It could be just me, but I am sensing a french accent in her original post)

well, i guess i can see how

Merit ( english)  and merite (french) can be confusing  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
well, i guess i can see how

Merit ( english)  and merite (french) can be confusing  ;D

I didn't go by the words --- I went by this:

How long does it usually take for them to call and was (what??) is a merit list exactly?

:p

:mad:

You guys are hilarious, and yes i am french :)
I guess im just hopnig that they give me an offer soon.
Apparently they need 280 Sig ops so I'm guessing it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks

Sig Op is now Open Selection List  (OSL) which means once you are merit listed the CFRC Production Officer can select you without waiting for a board to sit. Selections are usually done weekly or Bi-monthly depending upon the CFRC.

Get used to waiting, it's the Military way of life  :p

Just wait out, an keep the PT up an getting everything in order so you can leave for BMQ without having to worry about unfinished business, etc.

Searching around the forum for info on BMQ, QL3, etc would be good too.  If you have any questions about Sig Op that you can't find an answer to, shoot me a PM; everyone else seems to so I might as well be inviting about it haha

Greetings..I started my application process for veh tech (411) in July/08, finished Aug/08 (med, interview, etc)...told early in January/09 the application was at the merit office...then was told my fingerprint results were not in...last week I was told I need to hand in a resume for PLA...is there any other checks to be done once on the merit list?...If I am even on it...help, please this is frustrating...what question should I ask the CFRC to determine where I am in this whole thing so I may try to determine a ballpark of waiting time...I have read FAQ's but cannot get an actual stage of process after completed application has been submitted.

A quick question about merit list and your application process...

Is your Military Career Counselor the only person to get in contact with that can tell you if you've been merit listed or not? I was just wondering if it was possible for the people at the front desk to open your file and give you an update if you couldn't get in contact with your MCC.

HeadLamp said:
A quick question about merit list and your application process...

Is your Military Career Counselor the only person to get in contact with that can tell you if you've been merit listed or not? I was just wondering if it was possible for the people at the front desk to open your file and give you an update if you couldn't get in contact with your MCC.

If they have access then yes if they don't then they would have to pass you on to someone else.

kincanucks said:
If they have access then yes if they don't then they would have to pass you on to someone else.

Alright, I guess I'll just give them a call and ask. Heh, I was actually going to PM you the question but decided not to bother you so I posted it.

Thanks

CFR FCS said:
Sig Op is now Open Selection List  (OSL) which means once you are merit listed the CFRC Production Officer can select you without waiting for a board to sit. Selections are usually done weekly or Bi-monthly depending upon the CFRC.
How often do the Selection Committees sit?
Thanks!

A lot of issues here.

Merit listing gets you officially noted on the database as having completed all the evaluations necessary to determine your suitability (your competitiveness), with a final assessment.

For most occupations, the selection of merit listed individuals is done anywhere from daily to every 2-3 days, by the Centre.  Very few programmes are now done by formal 'boards', one of the most notable being the Regular Officer Training Plan.

If you have been merit listed, you should be able to get an answer from your Centre as to when you will be selected and if if you are not being selected in the near future, the specific reason for the delay.  If your merit listing assessment is not adequate for you to be selected into your chosen trades, you should be told that as well.  While anyone with access to your file can answer the question, we generally try to have the Recruiter or Career Counsellor that has been dealing with your file provide you the information as you may have specific questions as a result.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Thanks for that information ComdCFRG. I've been searching around the site for a while now for some of this information and found your post amazingly helpful.

ComdCFRG said:
A lot of issues here.

Merit listing gets you officially noted on the database as having completed all the evaluations necessary to determine your suitability (your competitiveness), with a final assessment.

For most occupations, the selection of merit listed individuals is done anywhere from daily to every 2-3 days, by the Centre.  Very few programmes are now done by formal 'boards', one of the most notable being the Regular Officer Training Plan.

If you have been merit listed, you should be able to get an answer from your Centre as to when you will be selected and if if you are not being selected in the near future, the specific reason for the delay.  If your merit listing assessment is not adequate for you to be selected into your chosen trades, you should be told that as well.  While anyone with access to your file can answer the question, we generally try to have the Recruiter or Career Counsellor that has been dealing with your file provide you the information as you may have specific questions as a result.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

I am Merit Listed for Logistics, and according to my Recruiting Officer, I have a very competitive application.  However, with Logistics being extremely competitive, does a formal board sit for this? 
I should have stated this in my previous post, thanks very much.

Back