• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

And lawyers who are MPs?
Still accountable to the Law Society/Bar Association to act in an ethical manner or face being disbarred...

The professional standards of their College of practice and Hippocratic Oath seem to come to mind..

Farming is rarely a lucrative endeavor to be corrupt in. They tend to have a stronger moral compass than the others mentioned so.......

All MPs will only vote their personal bottom line?
Depends on what checks and balances exist. We expect ethical thinking from everyone in the CAF and to serve Canada before themselves. I don't think it much of a stretch to expect the same of our elected officials.

Still accountable to the Law Society/Bar Association to act in an ethical manner or face being disbarred...

The professional standards of their College of practice and Hippocratic Oath seem to come to mind..

Farming is rarely a lucrative endeavor to be corrupt in. They tend to have a stronger moral compass than the others mentioned so.......

Depends on what checks and balances exist. We expect ethical thinking from everyone in the CAF and to serve Canada before themselves. I don't think it much of a stretch to expect the same of our elected officials.
I wasn’t talking about corruption.

The charge, above, was the MPs who are landlords will simply vote their own interests. I was pointing out that, even if you accept that is true, everyone has their own interest.

All MPs will only vote their personal bottom line?
The practical answer to that, is that when people are comfortably well-off, they start pursuing causes. And in politics, causes - and mitigating the mistakes made in pursuit - are paid for with other people's money.

The practical answer to that, is that when people are comfortably well-off, they start pursuing causes. And in politics, causes - and mitigating the mistakes made in pursuit - are paid for with other people's money.
There are two types of crusaders. Those with too much money and those without any. I am having trouble deciding which is worse.

but what do you expect of yourself? People are what they make of themselves and not what really the facade they put on for others. It would appear that many mps are there to serve themselves and any benefits to Canada are incidental. What was it Chretien said: We are entitled to our entitlements.

We are entitled to our entitlements.
If only. If the underlying principle for judging a "government shutdown" is that government isn't meeting all of its fiscal obligations, then Canada's health care system is evidence that we are in an extended state of "government shutdown".

but what do you expect of yourself? People are what they make of themselves and not what really the facade they put on for others. It would appear that many mps are there to serve themselves and any benefits to Canada are incidental. What was it Chretien said: We are entitled to our entitlements.
Chretien never said that.

but what do you expect of yourself?
I expect myself to serve Crown and Country in deed and word, and to do so in a matter fitting of my rank and position. As I have for most of my adult life.

I haven't taken more than my share and haven't put myself in a position to prosper at the expense ofthose less fortunate than me.

Having come from poverty myself, I know how quickly people can stop looking in that rearview mirror when making decisions for themselves without thinking of others.
People are what they make of themselves and not what really the facade they put on for others. It would appear that many mps are there to serve themselves and any benefits to Canada are incidental.
And it's with that sad reality that I trust no politicians to make the right and honorable choice of their own accord.

What was it Chretien said: We are entitled to our entitlements.
That was Robert Dingwall and he cost the Liberals the election for it

I wasn’t talking about corruption.

The charge, above, was the MPs who are landlords will simply vote their own interests. I was pointing out that, even if you accept that is true, everyone has their own interest.

If you're deciding legislation on the basis of your own self interests that sounds corrupt to me.

Do what's right for the nation, not what's right for you. If the two align, lucky you. If not, put the nation first.

I remember the scene in Band of Brothers when Winters tells some other officer, "never take from these men". That line, as hokey as it sounds, has always stuck with me.

If you're deciding legislation on the basis of your own self interests that sounds corrupt to me.

Do what's right for the nation, not what's right for you. If the two align, lucky you. If not, put the nation first.

I remember the scene in Band of Brothers when Winters tells some other officer, "never take from these men". That line, as hokey as it sounds, has always stuck with me.
No.

Self-interest and corruption are two different things. Corruption involves dishonesty and fraud.

To conflate the two is to cheapen the word corruption.

Interesting topic on the nature of self interest/ conflict of interest and the ethical implications / leadership responsibilities entailed. Initially my thinking was pretty clear cut. These's MP's are in a conflict of interest situation- on a smaller scale a municipal councillor would be expected to recuse themselves. Then I dug in for some reading, particularly The Conflict of Interest Act

From said act

private interest does not include an interest in a decision or matter
  • (a) that is of general application;
  • (b) that affects a public office holder as one of a broad class of persons; or

Pretty clear cut. It's safe to say that both A and B apply in this scenario. While it is frustrating, may be unethical, and certainly stinks, Homeowning/landlord MP's sitting on their hands wrt to housing costs in Canada aren't in a legal conflict of interest situation.

This lead me down a further rabbit hole on the nature of "societal" interest vs collective self interest in a democracy. If you list every group that is either actively or passively benefitting from the housing crisis, would be significantly harmed by it being fixed, or relatively unimpacted by it in the short and medium terms, your list is going to contain a lot more votes and that of renters and prospective first time home buyers over the age of 18. The current cost of housing is not a "crisis" for the majority of the population, and just as with the MP's it is not in the (narrow viewed) individual best interests to get it fixed.

Last edited:
I expect myself to serve Crown and Country in deed and word, and to do so in a matter fitting of my rank and position. As I have for most of my adult life.

I haven't taken more than my share and haven't put myself in a position to prosper at the expense ofthose less fortunate than me.

Having come from poverty myself, I know how quickly people can stop looking in that rearview mirror when making decisions for themselves without thinking of others.

And it's with that sad reality that I trust no politicians to make the right and honorable choice of their own accord.

thanks for the correction. Comment still stands

well said

That was David Dingwall,replying to scrutiny that he over-expensed the taxpayer while serving as the head of the Royal Canadian Mint.

That was David Dingwall,replying to scrutiny that he over-expensed the taxpayer while serving as the head of the Royal Canadian Mint.
Wasn’t that for a pack of gum he expensed while on travel? That was gold.

Back