• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Is the federal government also supporting the increased infrastructure (water, sewer, power ect...) and increased requirements for services, like schools, paramedics, fire, police ect... Both large cities (GTA) and smaller communities are already struggling with these issues.
Are they also paying for the site HAZMAT remediation at the sites that have become derelict?

Is the federal government also supporting the increased infrastructure (water, sewer, power ect...) ....
I'm guessing those would be minimal if the buildings are already in existence - and if they treat commercial tenants like the private sector, it's the developers who'll have to pony up renovation money. Yeah, I know, dare to dream ...
... and increased requirements for services, like schools, paramedics, fire, police ect... Both large cities (GTA) and smaller communities are already struggling with these issues.
That ain't gonna be zero - we'll see, indeed.

There are a number of conservation properties in Ontario that are owned by various municipalities and they have leased out the land. A number of indigenous groups are also leasing out land on lakes for cottages; any number of which would qualify as 4 season homes as they are quite substantial. But here is the kicker, no bank will provide a mortgage you must either private finance or go in cash. Why would land owned by the feds be any different"

Let's see how many developers are willing to lease federal lands to build affordable housing of some kind ....

Interactive map showing sites here
I doubt it will make much of a dent. Looks like five in the GTA including three in Toronto, all adjacent to each other on former CFB Downsview land, all small (and one in Port Perry for some reason).

To add: Vague memories from childhood but the maps puts the three Toronto properties about where I recall the west gate guardhouse was. If anything they were housing but memory suggests they were either vacant land or some minor building.

A number of indigenous groups are also leasing out land on lakes for cottages; any number of which would qualify as 4 season homes as they are quite substantial. But here is the kicker, no bank will provide a mortgage you must either private finance or go in cash.
And normal provincial landlord-tenant legislation does not apply. Some FNs also have restrictions, such as number of days you can occupy on-season, off-season, etc.

The plot in Kingston is all historically protected buildings attached to the larger Kingston Penn site. I'm positive there isnt going to be any housing cropping up there any time soon. Especially if the Heritage Council has any say in it.

The plot in Kingston is all historically protected buildings attached to the larger Kingston Penn site. I'm positive there isnt going to be any housing cropping up there any time soon. Especially if the Heritage Council has any say in it.
I dunno. KP would make a unique condo or hotel. I've stayed in the hotel built around the old London armoury. Granted, hotels aren't housing.

I've stayed in the hotel built around the old London armoury.
I avert my gaze whenever I pass that travesty, preferring to remember the Dundas Street Armoury as it was, inside and out, in simpler and happier times.

I have no idea of what it looks like now.

A number of indigenous groups are also leasing out land on lakes for cottages; any number of which would qualify as 4 season homes as they are quite substantial. But here is the kicker, no bank will provide a mortgage you must either private finance or go in cash.
You should look at Westbank, BC, (West Kelowna). The Westbank First Nation (WFN) owns the land (and sometimes the buildings) of most of the shopping malls. Lots of housing - houses and Apt blocks are always being built. I live on WPN land with a 100 year lease that commenced around 2007.

No problem with a mortgage. Home insurance can be tricky with some companies. Cannot vote in West Kelowna municipal elections. WFN is a well managed, progressive, rich FN. Same down South, near the US border, in Osoyoos

No problem with a mortgage. Home insurance can be tricky with some companies. Cannot vote in West Kelowna municipal elections. WFN is a well managed, progressive, rich FN. Same down South, near the US border, in Osoyoos
Those well running FN bands know that the key to success is developing an environment where appropriately encouraged and managed external investment is to their benefit. Those that would entice external investment and then exercise an overruling prerogative to deny the external access, would perhaps see a short term gain from asset expropriation, but would be sealing their fate against any future investment…

The WKN has been the shining star and leader for all the other progressive bands. But most are far, far behind in that sort of thinking.

Back