• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cotton socks...?

NorthWinds

Inactive
Reaction score
So the type of simple, stupid question that makes the experienced members cringe, but...

On the PDF sent to me by the recruiting center, the joining instructions, it specifies that my socks and boxers should be cotton.

I hate cotton. I hate it for rucking, running, and just generally working. It smells, holds moisture, and has a tendency to chafe.  :mad:  Is anyone going to get bent out of shape if I bring athletic (synthetic) socks and underwear?

Lastly, would I be okay to swap out my boot insoles provided I kept the old ones to replace in the boot when I returned them?

If it's a stark "no" across the board, that's fine. It won't kill me. But having been on a sheep hunt and some long hikes, I just know I'd rather be comfortable given the option. Thanks for your time.

The civilian clothing the JIs instruct you to pack will only be for your time off and the initial day or two before you are issued all of your uniforms and kit. From that point on you'll be required to wear all of the issued items, including the socks and underwear. The socks come with a black nylon-cotton anti-blister liner sock and a charcoal grey 60% wool, 40% nylon outer. They're decent, just make sure to change them every day. You will get jacked up if you're wearing non-issue kit with your uniforms. The underwear is a green long boxer-brief style and are very comfortable, I've never had problems with chaffing.

Synthetic materials tend to stink more than cotton does, as someone who use to wear UnderArmour compression shirts under a ballistic vest for a living I will never turn to anything but cotton again. The weird mildew-sweat stench that synthetic materials hold even after a fresh wash is gross.

Also, if you swap out your insoles in your boots without a medical chit stating you have a condition requiring non-issue orthotics/insoles and you get injured, you will receive a lot of flak and possibly no coverage for the injury. Also, you'll get jacked up during inspections if they see things that are not like the others.

Just follow the instructions through basic, once you're trained you may have some more leeway on these kinds of things (depending on your unit Chain of Command).

That's perfect, thanks for the timely and detailed answer. 60/40's usually okay, I just wasn't sure if the socks/boxers were issued or not. Thanks for clearing that up!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do more pushups and continue packing. I step off for my swear-in tomorrow.

The army doesn't issue athletic socks, so make sure you bring something you are comfortable running in for morning PT.

I seriously doubt you'd get jacked up for wearing non-issue underwear while in uniform.  ::)

Unless one of the DS is named J-j-j-j-jimmy.

RedcapCrusader said:
Also, if you swap out your insoles in your boots without a medical chit stating you have a condition requiring non-issue orthotics/insoles and you get injured, you will receive a lot of flak and possibly no coverage for the injury. Also, you'll get jacked up during inspections if they see things that are not like the others.

The non coverage thing is a myth based on years of people not knowing what they are talking about.  Changing the insoles for ones boots to match personal needs is also a non issue as long as they don't require new/ specialized boots to fit the insoles (and in that case ReCape is correct in saying that a chit would be needed at that point.

MJP said:
The non coverage thing is a myth based on years of people not knowing what they are talking about.  Changing the insoles for ones boots to match personal needs is also a non issue as long as they don't require new/ specialized boots to fit the insoles (and in that case ReCape is correct in saying that a chit would be needed at that point.

Interesting

The whole "I doubt thy're going to check" but was kinda what I was thinking. But, better safe than sorry.

Interesting bit about the insoles. I'll probably just buy a pair and ask if in doubt. If there's some discrepancy I'll just keep them and cut them down for my Scarpa's instead. There's a fine line between tough and stupid. Any idiot can be miserable.

The new issue boxers are decent and great improvement over previous issue.  However nothing I ever had are better than these.  I wear them in uniform and for my civie hiking/biking/anything outdoors gitch. 

http://www.mec.ca/product/5033-450/mec-t1-athletic-boxer-briefs-mens/?q=t1

the sock system works although hotter than just LW syn socks.  The thick sock may help act as padding.  I went years with issued shitty insoles and now cost the taxpayer's $$$$ every 2 years for new orthotics.  Ounce of prevention...

Good luck on basic.

I guess I'll throw in a recommendation for gitch too. Exofficio Give-n-go boxer briefs are hands down my favourite. They dry quickly, breathe well, and best of all, don't smell even after a week of hard slogging. EITS, if you like the MEC product, give these a try.

http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-give-n-go-boxer-brief

PMedMoe said:
I thought he had a sock fetish....  ;)

IIRC he had an underwear fetish too.....you'd have to ask The Royal Canadian Regiment about that. ;D

Thanks for the recommendations.

No I'm not wearing second hand boxers. ::)

That escalated quickly.  :eek:

"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"  :blotto:

Eye In The Sky said:
the sock system works although hotter than just LW syn socks.  The thick sock may help act as padding.  I went years with issued shitty insoles and now cost the taxpayer's $$$$ every 2 years for new orthotics.  Ounce of prevention...

An ounce of prevention is often overlooked.  I once worked with a WO who bemoaned the uniformity of boots in Bn.  He was convinced that 25 years of issued foot wear were good enough for him.  I asked him why he needed special issued footwear now and he replied without a sense of irony that his feet were f***ed up. 

Before my last tour I did a walk-in to base physio.  Asked about a set on insoles for preventative reasons.  Walked across the floor in my socks and was given a pair of insoles and told to come back for a second set if I liked them.  No hassle, no appointment, no chit.  Maybe 15 minutes.

Apparently we have a system in place.

As course staff I have inspected hundreds of pairs of boots.  Never checked for insoles. 

Ounce of prevention is exactly right. It takes just one sheep hunt to figure out how important your feet are. I took great care of my feet, but due to inadequate boots I had to slow my pace at times. I remembered thinking "Congrats, in a wartime scenario you either just screwed yourself or screwed the mission." Superfeet aren't as good at fixing pronation (in most people) as the physio-issued type insoles, but they help and do wonders for ankle support. If it makes me just a little more comfortable, I'll do it. As I said earlier, quoting Paracowboy from one of his threads, any idiot can be miserable. Thanks for the advice :nod:

Back