• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

COVID slowing application

COVID pandemic has slowed my application. Also have questions on pre employment drug test

• COVID ?

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • COVID ?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

HDmech91

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I have applied for a position with the combat engineers primary reserve unit out of Cranbrook, BC. I haven't heard from the recruiting sergeant in a few weeks. We were ready to book my medical and physical evaluation for the end of March. I have also heard rumors that non essential reserve units are shut down until this pandemic is under control. Does anyone on here have any first hand knowledge that reserve units are shutdown until further notice due to COVID? Also I have some questions about the pre employment drug screening. I am an occasional cannabis smoker. I am required to not consume for 24hrs before shift and for the duration of my days on for my civilian job. I work in a coal mine and it is fairly dangerous so its not a problem for me. Will I fail the urine analysis for cannabis? If I will fail for that I will stop smoking, I'm committed to this 100% and will do whatever is necessary. Also I read the the DOD's updated cannabis policy and as far as I can understand it is permitted under certain circumstances. And if I can't consume cannabis during BMQ I'm not worried about it, I will be busy enough. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hey man, I recently heard back from my recruiter after I sent him an email asking for an update on my file, and I can confirm that the application process is slowed down (or paused, not sure which). I was told to check back in 4-5 weeks.

I sent an email to my file manager two weeks ago and have received no response (whereas previously she would respond within the day) so I would say that the application process is most likely paused. It seems like the recruiting centres may well be closed or on significantly reduced staff.

^A number of similar stories on reddit.  I'm guessing there's a lot of people working from home, but of course, with limited DWAN capable devices, there likely isn't a whole lot being done.  I'm a public servant in another government agency, but we were well prepared for this (laptops, VPN, enough VPN certificates to accommodate mass telework, etc).  While we're capable of carrying on from home, the military doesn't appear to be in that position.  I've spoken with some former mil colleagues and most don't even have DWAN capable laptops.

To my surprise, I just received an email from my file manager.

It would seem that at least some aspects of the application process are ongoing. Because I am 40 years old, my medical file had to be reviewed in Ottawa. They are still doing those medical reviews and I was apparently declared fit on Wednesday (my file was submitted in early March). My background check had been concluded by a third party in February, and I've been advised that this was reviewed and my background check is now complete.

Last and only step for me (applying as CIC officer) is interview. That, understandably, has to wait until recruiting centres are open again (I am told by my file manager that they are not open to the public currently, but it sounds like staff have at least some access to the offices).

So it would seem that more is going on in the background than I thought.

Nice, that's reassuring.  I'm in the process of trying to re-enroll.  No response from MCC/file manager in over 7 weeks.

I recently applied for the royal westminster regiment, BC and i applied 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing back at all so i'm guessing it is slowed down?

LittleBlackDevil said:
I sent an email to my file manager two weeks ago and have received no response (whereas previously she would respond within the day) so I would say that the application process is most likely paused. It seems like the recruiting centres may well be closed or on significantly reduced staff.

Same case as the mine one.
I've wrote last month, and this week again, and no replies at all.
Thanks for your feedbacks, mates!

macarena said:
Same case as the mine one.
I've wrote last month, and this week again, and no replies at all.
Thanks for your feedbacks, mates!

Things seem to be "picking up" a little ... I've had good contact with both my file manager and my Military Career Counsellor over the past month. The last email from my Military Career Counsellor said that "At this point in time we are not yet conducting interviews for CIC/COATS applicants. If that changes I will let you know."

Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I inferred that they may be doing interviews for other parts of the CAF. We shall see. Now that Ontario has entered "Phase 3" I am hoping that I can get my interview done before long. For CIC the process is a bit different and the interview is the last step.

LittleBlackDevil said:
(...) last email from my Military Career Counsellor said that "At this point in time we are not yet conducting interviews for CIC/COATS applicants. If that changes I will let you know."
(...)

Thanks for the info, mate!
Since they are allowing us to know about the break, then I am positive to it. I understand it is not easy for them.

I applied early May Pres Inf., wrote my CFAT, did FORCE, interview all the next day, and haven't heard back since then. Not sure what that means for you, but I couldn't say when they will be getting back to work.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Back