• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t feel you’re “wrong.” (You’ll note I said it  “...isn’t their primary reason for opening up in the majority of cases.”) But there’s often much more involved with understanding the behaviour of others—in this case a teenage girl—than what we see at the surface, and motivations for any behaviour can be very complicated.

I encourage you to keep having conversations with the professionals you mentioned. Every bit of insight and understanding can be very helpful, and of course, you’ll also receive more feedback related to your personal circumstances.

Appreciate that, thanks! In the midterm I'll look to the teachings in A-DH-201-000/PT-000 for guidance and comfort.

>I am thinking of giving my vote to MacKay as a guy who has the best chance to win

Basically, the Buckley Rule: in this case, vote for the most electable conservative leader.

Brad Sallows said:
>I am thinking of giving my vote to MacKay as a guy who has the best chance to win

Basically, the Buckley Rule: in this case, vote for the most electable conservative leader.

I voted today with the exact same thoughts.

:cheers:

And Macleans weighs in on the "MacToole is O'Kay" issue...

https://www.macleans.ca/news/satire/and-the-winner-is-otoole-but-wait-isnt-that-mackay/

dapaterson said:
And Macleans weighs in on the "MacToole is O'Kay" issue...

https://www.macleans.ca/news/satire/and-the-winner-is-otoole-but-wait-isnt-that-mackay/

Now that’s funny.

My fearless prediction:. Sloan will be out in the first round, and Lewis in the third.  I'm just not sure whether O'Toole or MacKay will be the second one punted, nor which of the Dal law grads who served in the Harper cabinet and followed in their father's footsteps into politics will come out on top.

90 minute delay in results coming in. Should start seeing things move again around 1930-2000 EST.

Regardless of the outcome, what they all have to remember is that while they are (were) competitors, they are not adversaries. Break away from the current political fashion of casting your opponent as an enemy. Take the road less traveled, the high road, and rally around the victor.

ModlrMike said:
Regardless of the outcome, what they all have to remember is that while they are (were) competitors, they are not adversaries. Break away from the current political fashion of casting your opponent as an enemy. Take the road less traveled, the high road, and rally around the victor.

That's crazy talk.

I have a process question.

A friend told me the reason Scheer got voted in last time wasn't because the majority of people voted for him as a first pick but because he was 2nd (or 3rd) on the majority of voters ballots so because of the voting system we use he got picked (or words to that effect).

Is that accurate or were they wrong?

Completely accurate.  The CPC uses a single transferrable vote.  Scheer was in the lead for exactly one round of voting: the final round.  He was few people's first choice, but a majority of people's later choice.

The wikipedia article on the last CPC leadership race has round by round breakdowns of voting.

EDIT to add link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election

Jarnhamar said:
I have a process question.

A friend told me the reason Scheer got voted in last time wasn't because the majority of people voted for him as a first pick but because he was 2nd (or 3rd) on the majority of voters ballots so because of the voting system we use he got picked (or words to that effect).

Is that accurate or were they wrong?

Yup... Second or third picks can matter a great deal.

The actual formula is quite convoluted.  Each riding is assigned 100 points.  All ballots from within that riding are counted and points allocated proportionately to the candidates.  Do that 338 times, count the total points per candidate. and, if no one has 50%+1 of the points, drop the lowest vote getter, and re-tabulate the results after assigning the lowest vote-getters votes to the voters #2 pick.  And repeat until someone has a majority.  There's a good explanation at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-race-votes-1.5696640

wow... the CPC are having problems with the ballots tonight with the official story being that the envelope machines are cutting through the ballots.  This equipment wasn't tested in advance?  I sense a scandal in the making. Lol... One way or another MacKay is going to be declared the winner tonight!.

Turned on CBC live stream, and its Rosemary Barton, a Tor Star columnist and a "journalist" from HuffPo Canada talking about the Conservative Party leadership... Maybe find someone not biased or at least more neutral than those 3? Andrew Coyne craps on everyone but he's only 1 of 4.

PuckChaser said:
Turned on CBC live stream, and its Rosemary Barton, a Tor Star columnist and a "journalist" from HuffPo Canada talking about the Conservative Party leadership... Maybe find someone not biased or at least more neutral than those 3? Andrew Coyne craps on everyone but he's only 1 of 4.

PC, thanks for the chuckle.  It got me wondering who would watch the leadership coverage on CBC? :rofl:

PuckChaser said:

watching the same while waiting for the hockey game, and agreeing with Andrew Coyne on his ideas about responsible leadership as he's pushing for the caucus to have a greater role in leadership selection

Good2Golf said:
It got me wondering who would watch the leadership coverage on CBC? :rofl:

I blame DAP for posting the CBC link, but at least I gave them a shot right?

Edit: Oh God CTV is even worse. Tom Muclair and a Liberal strategist as the "panel". Could the 2 major news agencies in Canada not find a single CPC member to talk about the race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back