• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will depend on who the CPC chooses as their new leader.

Glad this is happening and the CPC can really move forward.

As for Scheer, the school expense thing is just another confirmation of his own hypocrisy. 

Altair said:
Any chance they are less effective than Scheer?
Based on who the "popular on social media as contenders," you're right.  Then again, Scheer ended up winning the last time Team Blue picked, too, so ....

Last time the B team was on deck.  I hope that this time the A team of candidates show up.

Last time, Red Team had just won handily and I can guess many of Blue Team's "A" people chose to sit out Red Team's first re-election bid, thinking it a lost cause.

Now that re-election bid is history, and Red Team is manifestly weaker.  Any ambitious "A" candidate would be foolish to sit out again and pass up a good opportunity to be the next prime minister.

Remius said:
Last time the B team was on deck.  I hope that this time the A team of candidates show up.
Brad Sallows said:
Any ambitious "A" candidate would be foolish to sit out again and pass up a good opportunity to be the next prime minister.
Very good points - with the caveat that there not be toooooooooooooooooooooooooo many "A" candidates to split the vote and let a "B" or "C" come up the middle.

Basically it’s playing out pretty much as I remember the discussions here calling it as far back as a few years ago.

Scheer sucked. The CPC now have ample evidence of what doesn’t work, and they should be able to take a pretty good guess at what kind of people they need to elect to really work on attracting my generation- not just for this election, but for future. If they just elect another evangelical Reformer type, they’ll be blowing this opportunity. Elect someone with solid experience, a reasonably progressive pedigree, and without any overly idiotic history of policy positions, and they might set up for success.

Altair said:
Bad day for Justin Trudeau.

Depends on how you look at it.

On one side, Trudeau knows that any threat to topple the government is an empty one at least until the new leader has some time to get onboard.  That gives Trudeau maybe a year to do a lot of things without too much worry.  After that all bets are off.  He may face someone he can’t beat. 

On the other side, Scheer staying on as interim leader sucks the wind out of their own sails on anything ethics related.  I suspect more stuff will come out about how he’s spent party funds.  And until he’s gone that may hurt the CPC funding drive. 

Scheer has nothing to hide, except that he had dual citizenship, was never really an insurance broker, sent his kids to a religious private school with party funds and truly was never ever a middle class guy just like all of us but he sure wanted us to think that. 

Something tells me Scheer will still face scrutiny in his own party until he is gone.

Any bets on if Mad Max will return to the Conservative fold?

Haggis said:

Not a chance.  Too much bad blood and it would not help the party if they want to portray a softer approach on things like immigration. 

Stranger things have happened though.

Haggis said:

He’ll never be leader, but it’a basically his last gasp at being relevant again. He would be smart to try to. The CPC would be foolish to take him back. His foray into populism has irrevocably tainted him.

Curious to see when Peter MacKay will throw his name in. Rona Ambrose also might (but I think she'd be genuinely a good ambassador to the US).

Scheer's performance was uninspired, but hopefully this failure trickles down to the team around him. If they put in another suit with the same hapless support they are pooched. So many lost opportunities and balls dropped here on things that should have been obvious wins.

Maybe we should be changing our name back to "Progressive" Conservatives while we're at it. Just plain old "Conservative" seems to scare off Torontonians.

;D

I think my personal observations of the PCPO are applicable to the Conservatives as well WRT their future direction.

I recall attending the PCPO convention in London where John Tory was attempting to retain his hold on the leadership.(the circumstances of how I got there are another story). While circulating around, I noted the people who were surrounding John Tory. One other lesson I learned is that to even come near a political party is to be on their mailing list forever....

Flash forward and now Tim Hudac is the leader of the PCPO, and I get invitations to see him whenever he is in London. After seeing his performance I note that a large number of the people who surrounded John Tory still surround Hudac. Patrick Brown is next, and lo and behold, a very large fraction of the circle I first noted around John Tory are still there! Brown gets dumped and Doug Ford becomes the new PCPO leader, but more importantly, there is an entirely new cadre of people around him.

We all remember Tory, Hudac and Brown were not particularly successful even against a totally awful Liberal government, and I think part of it is because they were using essentially the same strategy and message, which did not resonate well with Ontario voters.

We will have to see how well Ford does, but he certainly brought a very different message and approach. This is going to be needed for whoever becomes the new Conservative leader. The old messages are not going to work, and attempting to hide like Scheer did (expecting Trudeau to slip on a banana peel) in fear of what the Press might say didn't work either (they are going to accuse the Conservatives of thinking and planning "bad things" regardless of what you say or do, so might as well man up and say Conservative things...)

However, unless the crowd of people who surrounded Scheer go, the replacement may end up being more like Tim Hudac, using and parroting a strategy and message which is already demonstrated not to work. Indeed, the failure may be even more terrible since the Liberals have managed to re open old fissures in Canada's makeup and ignite both toxic regionalism (the Wexit movement and the rebirth of the BQ) as well as regional Populism (the United Conservatives in Alberta, the PCPO under Doug Ford in Ontario and the CAQ in Quebec). Any new Conservative leader will have to carefully rethink the strategy and the message in order to clear these hurdles.

The PPC managed to build a national party and run 338 candidates in just under a year, which tells me there is a national level  of support for some type of populism as well, given more time and coordination it seems entirely possible that the PPC could discover ways to tap into the regional and provincial levels of anger and frustration and convert it into larger scale support (after all, it took almost a decade for Reform to go from one MP to the official opposition, and I don;t remember the Canadian public being anywhere near as polarized then).

So whoever wins will need to do a thourough housecleaning and develop entirely new strategies and messages - a pretty tall order. Best of luck to whoever that becomes.

If anyone thought Mad Max would be back in the fold he tweeted yesterday that there was zero chance and that the CPC was a corrupt party.  That he was sticking with his current movement.

Even though I voted Liberal in this last election I have no loyalties to any of them. If O'Toole was the leader of the CPC I would seriously consider voting for them.

stellarpanther said:
Even though I voted Liberal in this last election I have no loyalties to any of them. If O'Toole was the leader of the CPC I would seriously consider voting for them.

O’Toole might have won the last election. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back