• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Anthony Joseph Boneca - LSSR - 09 July 2006

HollywoodHitman

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian reported killed in Afghan fighting
Canadian Press

[ Article ]

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — A Canadian soldier has apparently been killed in a fire fight west of Kandahar City.

Military officials said Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca of the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment based in Thunder Bay, Ont., died Sunday morning.

Cpl. Boneca, a reservist, was killed as Canadian military and Afghan security forces were pushing through an area that has been a hotbed of Taliban activity over the past few months.

Brigadier-General David Frazer, the Canadian commander on the multinational brigade in Kandahar, said Cpl. Boneca's tragic death is a blow but will not affect the troops' resolve to keep fighting in the area.

Cpl. Boneca, an infantry soldier, arrived in Afghanistan with the Canadian battle group early this winter. The unit is to rotate back to Canada next month.

Two Canadian soldiers were wounded Saturday in the same region.

Cpl. Boneca was the 17th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan.

I wish to offer my sincere condolences to Tony's family and Regiment.  :cdn:

T.M.S.

CTV newsnet just posted the we lost another soldier this morning.  It was a reserviest from Thunder Bay.  Nothing on the news website but was on TV. 
Rip

RIP.
Earlier, the CBC news (radio) reported that a coalition soldier was killed by a road side bomb in Afghanistan, but no nationality was given.

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=602917

JULY 9, 2006 - 07:46 ET 

National Defence: Canadian Soldier killed in Afghanistan

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - July 9, 2006) - A Canadian soldier was killed today during an engagement with Taliban insurgents approximately 25 kilometres west of Kandahar. The incident occurred at approximately 8:30 a.m. Kandahar time (12:00 a.m. EDT).

Killed was Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca who was serving with Task Force Afghanistan as part of the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (1 PPCLI) Battle Group. Cpl. Boneca was a member of the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment, which is based in Thunder Bay, Ontario; his next-of-kin have been notified.

Cpl. Boneca was evacuated by helicopter to the coalition medical facility at Kandahar Airfield where he was pronounced dead.

The repatriation of Cpl. Boneca's remains is now being planned.

Cpl. Boneca's unit was operating in Zjarey district as part of Operation Zahar, which means "Sword" in Pashto. Operation Zahar is a joint Afghan National Army/Coalition security operation aimed at removing the Taliban threat to Afghan citizens in the region west of Kandahar City while strengthening the Afghan Government's authority in the area.

Canada's mission in Afghanistan is part of our contribution to the international campaign to help bring stability and security to the people of Afghanistan. The overarching goal is to help the Afghan people achieve peace by preventing their nation from relapsing into a failed state that gives terrorist and terrorist organizations a safe haven.

There are significant risks involved in these operations, but Canadian Forces members are among the best trained, and most experienced soldiers in the world. They are well led, well equipped, and fully prepared for the mission in Afghanistan.

Photo:  http://tinyurl.com/fws68

RIP, and condolences to the family and colleagues  :salute:

RIP and condolences...unfortunately another young soldier from Thunder Bay and a member of the Regiment.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=a83267b8-7ec2-411f-9f55-a4b9332662c7&k=3885

Canadian soldier based in Thunder Bay, Ont., killed in Afghanistan fire fight
John Cotter, Canadian Press, 9 Jul 06

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - A Canadian soldier has been killed in a fire fight west of Kandahar City.

Cpl. Anthony Joseph Boneca of the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment based in Thunder Bay, Ont., died Sunday morning, military officials say.

Boneca, a reservist with the 1 Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry battle group, was killed as troops were pushing through an area near the village of Pashmol that has been a hotbed of Taliban activity over the past few months.

"There has been lots of contact. But unfortunately we have suffered the tragic loss of Cpl. Boneca," said Brig.-Gen. David Frazer, the Canadian commander on the multinational brigade in Kandahar.

"We really do have to admire his professionalism and his heroic efforts to help out people less fortunate than ours. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Word of Boneca's death spread quickly among the troops back at the international coalition base.

A Canadian flag was lowered to half staff at a small memorial that commemorates soldiers who have died in Afghanistan.

Two Canadian soldiers were wounded Saturday in the same area, one seriously.

Boneca, an infantry soldier, came to Afghanistan with the battle group early last winter. The unit is to rotate back to Canada next month.

The Pashmol area, which includes vineyards, lush fields of marijuana and the withered stubble of old opium crops, has been a major gathering point for Taliban, who have been ambushing convoys and attacking Afghan National Police outposts.

Canadian troops have defeated the insurgents in every major engagement in the region since May. But when coalition activity subsides, the Taliban regroup and become more active again.

Frazer said Boneca's death will not have any impact on a joint Canadian-Afghan operation to sweep the region of Taliban.

"We are going to carry on operations as they are," the general said.

"We are not pulling back at all, we are leaning into this. We are going to push right through for as long as it takes."

Boneca is the 17th Canadian soldier to die in Afghanistan.

My condolences to the family and friends of CPL Boneca, Rest in Peace.

Rest in Peace CPL Boneca. :salute:

After Glow

I’d like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I’d like to leave an after glow
of smiles when life is done.
I’d like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways,
Of happy times and laughing times
and bright and sunny days.
I’d like the tears of those who grieve,
to dry before the sun
of happy memories
that I leave when life is done.

"He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die
that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings.
Freedom lives, and through it, he lives–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

Franklin Roosevelt

FYI, Cpl. Boneca was a member of the Regiment of which I'm an alumnus (1978-1989).  If family are located here in Thunder Bay, I can print a hard copy of this thread and bring it to any memorial or funeral held here in town.

My prayers go out to him and his, to all his kith and kin.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/09/soldier-afghanistan.html

Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
Last Updated Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:00:39 EDT
CBC News
A young reservist from Thunder Bay, Ont., has been killed in battle in Afghanistan, a day after Taliban militants wounded two other Canadians in the same area west of Kandahar City.

Cpl. Anthony Joseph Boneca, a 21-year-old from Thunder Bay, Ont., was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan and serving with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. (DND) The international and Afghan forces have been battling since Friday night in the southern area, considered to be a hotbed of Taliban activity over the past few months.

Cpl. Anthony Joseph Boneca, a 21-year-old reservist from the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment based in Thunder Bay, died on Sunday morning, military officials said.

Top general vows to push on

Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan, called Boneca's death a tragic loss.

But Fraser said it wouldn't deter Canada's 2,300 soldiers from continuing their mission. They're part of the U.S.-led international forces that have been trying to stabilize Afghanistan since the Taliban government was ousted after the al-Qaeda attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

"We're going to carry on operations as they are going on right now," Fraser said. "We're not going to pull back. We're going to push through for as long as it takes."

Boneca on 2nd tour, uncle says

Boneca's uncle, William Babe, said his nephew was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan and serving with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

"He spent his last tour in Kabul, and this year, when the war escalated, he went to Kandahar with the Princess Pats," Babe told CBC News from Thunder Bay.

"He was due home at the end of this month."

A solemn military ceremony for the soldier was expected to be held on the Kandahar airfield on Monday, but there has been no word yet on when his body will be returned to Canada.

Boneca was 17th Canadian soldier to be killed in Afghanistan since the first battle group was sent to the country in February 2002. A Canadian diplomat was also killed.

:cdn: Stand Easy Corporal :cdn:

RIP, thoughts to the comrades, family, loved ones and friends...

:salute:

Damn, just damn. And so close to the end of the roto, too.

My condolences to his family and his unit. 21, and on his second tour- he was definitely a credit to both.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this brave young man.  :salute:

Back