• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Matthew McCully - 2 CMBG HQ & Signals - 25 May 07

Petawawa-based soldier killed in Afghan offensive
'We lost a good kid today... our thoughts are going out to his family right now': colonel
Last Updated: Friday, May 25, 2007 | 8:43 AM ET

One Canadian soldier was killed and another was injured Friday as troops began a major offensive against the Taliban in southern Afghanistan.

An Afghan translator was also injured in the attack.

The slain soldier has been identified as Cpl. Matthew McCully, based at CFB Petawawa, outside Ottawa

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/25/canada-afghanistan.html

Petawawa-based soldier killed in Afghan offensive
'We lost a good kid today... our thoughts are going out to his family right now': colonel
Last Updated: Friday, May 25, 2007 | 8:43 AM ET

One Canadian soldier was killed and another was injured Friday as troops began a major offensive against the Taliban in southern Afghanistan.

An Afghan translator was also injured in the attack.

The slain soldier has been identified as Cpl. Matthew McCully, based at CFB Petawawa, outside Ottawa

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/25/canada-afghanistan.html

RIP Cpl McCully.  :cdn:

Thoughts and prayers to Matthew's family, friends and fellow soldiers.

Stand easy, soldier.

My sympathies on the death of Cpl McCully. My prayers are with his family and friends. :salute:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2310

Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully
NR-07.043 - May 25, 2007

OTTAWA - The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully:

"It is with great sadness that I learned today of the death of Corporal Matthew McCully.

On behalf of all our brave men and women in uniform I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Corporal McCully. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in their time of grief. Our thoughts are also with those who were injured in the accident. We wish them a prompt recovery.

Corporal McCully was killed while conducting a joint Afghan-Canadian foot patrol - part of an initiative that enables the Afghanistan National Army to help secure peace and stability in Afghanistan and extend the legitimate authority of the Government of Afghanistan.

Through the dedication and bravery of soldiers like Corporal McCully, Canada is helping Afghans, and working with Afghans, to build a better and brighter future for Afghanistan while ensuring that Afghanistan never again becomes a base for terrorism.

The sacrifice Corporal McCully made in honour of Canada and the Canadian people will not be forgotten."

Corporal Matthew McCully was a Signals Operator, based at 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquartersand Signals Squadron, Petawawa, Ontario.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully, May 25, 2007

“It was with great sadness that my husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I learned of the death of Corporal Matthew McCully of the 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters and Signals Squadron, who was killed while on patrol with Afghan soldiers in a village near Kandahar.

Our Canadian troops are in mourning, but they remain resolute in their efforts to help bring peace and security to Afghanistan. We admire their unwavering commitment and remarkable audacity. Their task is daunting.

I know that all across the country, Canadians join with me in offering our deepest sympathies to the families and friends who are grieving this terrible loss, and our hopes for a speedy recovery for those injured in today’s incident.

We pay tribute to the devotion of these fine soldiers and to their courage.”

Statement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully, 25 May 2007

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully:

"On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to extend my condolences to the family and loved ones of Corporal Matthew McCully on this sad day.  My thoughts and prayers are with them during this time of mourning.

Corporal Matthew McCully was killed while on foot patrol helping secure peace and stability in Afghanistan, working alongside our allies and the Afghanistan government.

We are proud of Corporal McCully's contribution to our mission in Afghanistan, and of all our Canadian Forces men and women who soldier on in the name of freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.

They are aware of the risks of our mission, yet the members of our Canadian Forces family accept these risks and fulfill their duties to stabilize Afghanistan and build a better future for the Afghan people. We are saddened by their sacrifices and remain grateful for their dedication."

Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully, NR-07.043, May 25, 2007

OTTAWA - The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of Corporal Matthew McCully:

"It is with great sadness that I learned today of the death of Corporal Matthew McCully.

On behalf of all our brave men and women in uniform I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Corporal McCully. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in their time of grief. Our thoughts are also with those who were injured in the accident. We wish them a prompt recovery.

Corporal McCully was killed while conducting a joint Afghan-Canadian foot patrol - part of an initiative that enables the Afghanistan National Army to help secure peace and stability in Afghanistan and extend the legitimate authority of the Government of Afghanistan.

Through the dedication and bravery of soldiers like Corporal McCully, Canada is helping Afghans, and working with Afghans, to build a better and brighter future for Afghanistan while ensuring that Afghanistan never again becomes a base for terrorism.

The sacrifice Corporal McCully made in honour of Canada and the Canadian people will not be forgotten."

Corporal Matthew McCully was a Signals Operator, based at 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters and Signals Squadron, Petawawa, Ontario.

rest in peace soldier  :salute:
you will not be forgotten  :cdn:
we will remember you
to the injured a speedy recovery  :salute:
to the family and friends my condolences,,,
to the family and friends of the injured
my undying gratitude  :cdn:

best regards in these troubled times,,,
                                                  scoty b  :salute:

Statement by Hon. Stéphane Dion, Leader of the Opposition, on the Death of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan, May 25, 2007

On behalf of the Liberal Party of Canada and our Parliamentary Caucus, I would like to express my sorrow and regret at the news of the death of Corporal Matthew McCully in Afghanistan today.

We send our deepest sympathies to the family, friends and comrades of Cpl. McCully as they cope with this tragic loss. I speak not only for our party but for all Canadians when I say that we are forever grateful for the hard work and sacrifice of the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces as they help the people of Afghanistan bring stability to the region.

Like all Canadians, we remain steadfast in our support for our troops as they put their lives on the line to provide us with a safe and secure world.

Statement by Jack Layton on the death of a Canadian soldier
25 May 2007

On behalf of all New Democrats, I would like to extend my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Corporal Matthew J. McCully, who was killed today in Afghanistan.

His efforts to mentor local security forces are commendable and will be remembered as an important step in helping the Afghan people rebuild their country.

I would also like to wish the wounded soldier a quick and complete recovery.

Today’s casualties are a distressing reminder of the treacherous situation facing our brave soldiers in Afghanistan. I truly hope this is the end to the tragic news.

Fading_Faces_of_Heroes.jpg

To Cpl McCully, his family, friends, and all those lost before him.  :salute:

My Watch was tasked with doing the NOK notification to his father today.  Military personnel could not make it up in time as the press release went out so quick.  As it turns out, my wife used to work with Cpl. Mcully's father.

Sincere condolences to his family.  RIP  :salute: :cdn:

let me get this straight.  The media released the information BEFORE the NOK was notified.

Quag: from an earlier report on the web today, they mentioned that the NOK were notified, but the identity held at the family's request pending their notification of other extended family members.  I think the release that *someone* was killed may have gone out before the family was notified, perhaps.

Back