• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CRA 60

anbeckett

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a case of a mbr successfully extending past CRA 60.

Thx

Only incident I know of was an extension to permit someone to complete post-deployment activities; other than that, the line has been hard and fast.

There is one case in the RCMS that I am aware of... a MED-SPEC (Psychiatrist) was extended to 61 or 62.

MC

Was Prince John not past 60 when he was brought back as CDS to save us all?

My release date was 25 July, my 60th birthday. The extended me til 29 Jul because they screwed up some paperwork. I tried to say that seeing as they extended me once, they could do it again until I was 65. No dice. ;D

Same 5 Aug 07. Finally released late Sep, but none of that time counted for service/pension. Just Admin limbo.

jollyjacktar said:

I don't think so.  If I recall correctly, he was around 57 at the time.  Of course CRA was 55 then, so yes, extensions beyond CRA are possible.  However, having said that, keep in mind that GOFOs serve at HM's pleasure and so can be extended/released at any time.

When CRA was first raised to 60, the word was that with the exception of those with special skills which were in demand at the time, only those personnel with less than 35 years of pensionable service would actually be allowed to stay beyond 55.  Part of the idea was to give those who joined later in life a chance to increase their pensions.  I was certainly led to believe that serving beyond 55 was out of the question for me (i.e. I will have 35 years of service by that point).  I'm not sure where things are now.

I've also been led to believe that if I wish to continue with the Reserve after retiring from the Regular Force (at 55) I have to select CRA 60 prior to that point.  Does anyone have a more definitive answer on this?

CIC officers, at least those I know of at RCSU (C), can go to 65. Mind you not many of them are full-time except in the summer for cadet camps.

jollyjacktar said:

He was past our CRA 55 when he was brought back.  The loophole being he was enrolled as a CIC officer ( at age 57) , and their CRA was 60 at the time.

A few CIC officers I know bring up the fact that it is entirely possible ( and has been done ) for a CIC officer to command the CAF, so we should be a little nicer to them.  [Xp

Pusser said:
I don't think so.  If I recall correctly, he was around 57 at the time.  Of course CRA was 55 then, so yes, extensions beyond CRA are possible.  However, having said that, keep in mind that GOFOs serve at HM's pleasure and so can be extended/released at any time.

When CRA was first raised to 60, the word was that with the exception of those with special skills which were in demand at the time, only those personnel with less than 35 years of pensionable service would actually be allowed to stay beyond 55.  Part of the idea was to give those who joined later in life a chance to increase their pensions.  I was certainly led to believe that serving beyond 55 was out of the question for me (i.e. I will have 35 years of service by that point).  I'm not sure where things are now.

I've also been led to believe that if I wish to continue with the Reserve after retiring from the Regular Force (at 55) I have to select CRA 60 prior to that point.  Does anyone have a more definitive answer on this?

MILPERCOM Instr 05/05 should have all the info about requesting a TOS Extension beyond CRA and also how to go about electing CRA 60 for those who are grand-fathered at CRA 55.  I'm pretty sure that to elect CRA 60, this MUST be done prior to reaching 54 years of age.

technophile said:
He was past our CRA 55 when he was brought back.  The loophole being he was enrolled as a CIC officer ( at age 57) , and their CRA was 60 at the time.

A few CIC officers I know bring up the fact that it is entirely possible ( and has been done ) for a CIC officer to command the CAF, so we should be a little nicer to them.  [Xp

That's a myth.  As I said before, GOFOs serve at HM's pleasure.  There was no need for any administrative subterfuge.

First of all, service beyond CRA is always possible on authorization, as discussed below.

As for Ol' John, both versions are myths. He was never CIC.

What he was, when recalled, was Supplementary Reserve Officer, recalled to duty by order in council of the GG.

Some of you may recall that CRA was different then: CRA for reg. force in those days was 50 as a rule, and up to 55 for GOFO's and CWO's. CRA for Reserve was 55 as a rule, and up to 60 for GOFO's and CWO's. Anything above and beyond required individual authorizations.

JdC was 55 when he retired, but he transferred to the Supp. list, and therefore was still in the zone for Reserve GOFO's when recalled to "active" service, not reinstatement in the Reg Force.

DAA said:
MILPERCOM Instr 05/05 should have all the info about requesting a TOS Extension beyond CRA and also how to go about electing CRA 60 for those who are grand-fathered at CRA 55.  I'm pretty sure that to elect CRA 60, this MUST be done prior to reaching 54 years of age.

Correct. It also requires your current unit COs approval. IIRC.

If it's for the continued joy of being part of the badges & uniforms revolution, I just learned yesterday that CIC Officers can stay until 65.  :nod:

Journeyman said:
If it's for the continued joy of being part of the badges & uniforms revolution, I just learned yesterday that CIC Officers can stay until 65.  :nod:

When I mentioned an extension, that's what I was offered. "Come on over to the Cadets. We'll set you up and you can stay til 65."

I respectfully declined. 8)

Using the Cadet Instructor List like that is unfair to the Cadets movement. They are entitled to  a very limited number of such officers (yes, all officers, no NCM's position sorry!) based on the number of kids in their cadet corps, which in turn determines the number of position in the cadet movement administrative organization that supports the corps. If you start using those position to retain reg. force personnel longer, it means there are cadet corps or support offices somewhere that go without, when they are already short staffed to start with. 

Though I can see how some staffer who doesn't think things through in Ottawa-wa-wa might think he/she has just found a clever way to retain some highly skilled serviceperson in his/her regular force job without doing the complex paperwork for retention beyond CRA.

No.  COATS has both officer and NCM slots now. 

And CRA election to 60 is a right for all members prior to their 54th birthday - the CO gets no veto.  Retention is a CoC decision.

recceguy said:
Correct. It also requires your current unit COs approval. IIRC.

It requires a "signature" only.  It's a career TOS decision being made by an individual and the signing authority is merely recognizing that you have signed and been briefed on the implications of doing so.  There are no approvals, recommendations, etc, etc.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Using the Cadet Instructor List like that is unfair to the Cadets movement. They are entitled to  a very limited number of such officers (yes, all officers, no NCM's position sorry!) based on the number of kids in their cadet corps, which in turn determines the number of position in the cadet movement administrative organization that supports the corps. If you start using those position to retain reg. force personnel longer, it means there are cadet corps or support offices somewhere that go without, when they are already short staffed to start with. 

But it is not a means of retaining Reg Force personnel longer.  It is an option that a Reg Force member, or a Reservist, can make upon RELEASE.  Sort of a means of keeping a bit of "military" in the Cadet movement and not letting it become a "civilian" run version of the Boy Scouts.  [:D

Back