• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CRCN Message on the Steward Occupation Town Hall (Steward trade elimination)

Random unrelated question. Do you think an Air Det needs an Aerospace Engineer? My experience with the Cyclone is a poor ACSO gets to shoulder all the NATO/CAN OPDEF-related paperwork, management and briefings (and a poor CSE PHVI gets to help them!). Perhaps not for a HFX but the JSS has two helo's and can do some 3rd line maint.
LRP air dets would bring an AERE if it's a big enough deployment (e.g. multiple aircraft).

I guess they don't read HBR up there in Ottawa ;)

Don’t Just Tell Employees Organizational Changes Are Coming — Explain Why​

From leadership transitions and restructurings to mergers and acquisitions, there seems to be constant change in the workforce. But surveys show that many employees don’t understand why these changes are happening.

This can be detrimental for any company trying to implement change. When employees don’t understand why changes are happening, it can be a barrier to driving ownership and commitment, and even result in resistance or push back.

Executives and those responsible for leading change cannot assume that employees understand the reasoning behind them. It’s important to spend time explaining the changes and why they are important.

There are four key aspects to helping employees understand change, to drive commitment, and to ultimately contribute to your success:
1) Inspire people by presenting a compelling vision for the future,
2) Keep employees informed by providing regular communications,
3) Empower leaders and managers to lead through change, and
4) Find creative ways to involve employees in the change.

Random unrelated question. Do you think an Air Det needs an Aerospace Engineer? My experience with the Cyclone is a poor ACSO gets to shoulder all the NATO/CAN OPDEF-related paperwork, management and briefings (and a poor CSE PHVI gets to help them!). Perhaps not for a HFX but the JSS has two helo's and can do some 3rd line maint.
I don’t know. I don’t really think so, as what you are describing is a reporting function, vice anything intrinsically airworthiness related (which is where AEREs shine). TBH, I would like the reporting functions streamlined or automated.

It could be done, but I am not too sure anyone would be very happy about picking up the reams of staffwork no one seems to notice that we do to keep Sqns and Wings functioning…
Air Ops Officers enter the chat

Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco

I guess they don't read HBR up there in Ottawa ;)

Don’t Just Tell Employees Organizational Changes Are Coming — Explain Why​

1) Inspire people by presenting a compelling vision for the future, Yesterday's technology, tomorrow! If Option A sounds great, go with Option C, regardless of whether it makes sense or our allies tell us not to do that. Also, if there are only two real options, give us an option C anyway.
2) Keep employees informed by providing regular communications, Did you guys get the memo?
3) Empower leaders and managers to lead through change, and Hey, middle managers, when you weren't dropping the ball on keeping the troops informed, being sex pests or otherwise being the source of institutional failures, did you get the memo we sent on a Friday pm?
4) Find creative ways to involve employees in the change. Okay, okay, how about this; we mae the change, then tell the employees. Also, new bling.

Official message and some further details:

1. THE STEWARD OCCUPATION, MOSID 00165, WILL BE RETIRED 31 MARCH
2026, ALLOWING TIME TO TRANSFER RESPONSIBILITIES TO OTHER MILITARY
OCCUPATIONS OR TO THE CIVILIAN WORKFORCE AND TO ALIGN WITH THE
DEPARTMENTAL ORGANIZATION AND ESTABLISHMENT CYCLE

2. DECISIONS THAT IMPACT THE CAREERS AND LIVES OF CAF MEMBERS AND
THEIR FAMILIES ARE ALWAYS DIFFICULT TO MAKE. THIS DECISION CONSIDERED
THE LONG AND STORIED HISTORY OF THE OCCUPATION, THE VALUABLE AND
INTEGRAL ROLE STEWARDS HAVE EXECUTED FAITHFULLY IN SHIPS, SUBMARINES
AND ACROSS THE CAF, AND THE ENHANCED ROLES THE OCCUPATION MIGHT HAVE
FILLED IN THE FUTURE. AS WE BEGIN THIS TRANSITION, AND THROUGHOUT THE
TRANSITION PERIOD, WE WILL BE GUIDED BY A COMMITMENT TO SUPPORT EACH
INDIVIDUAL STEWARD IN THE NEXT STEPS OF THEIR PERSONAL JOURNEY
WHETHER THAT BE INSIDE THE RCN/CAF OR OTHERWISE

3. WITH THIS IN MIND, THE RCN WILL STAND UP A TRANSITION TEAM THAT
WILL COORDINATE EFFORTS OF THE RCN AND FUNCTIONAL AUTHORITIES TO:

A. PROVIDE THE ONGOING CARE AND SUPPORT OF STEWARDS, INCLUDING THE
CONTINUATION OF CAF AND OCCUPATION TRAINING AS APPROPRIATE, TRANSFER
TO OTHER OCCUPATIONS, OR TRANSITION FROM THE FORCES. STEWARDS
CURRENTLY SERVE PREDOMINANTLY INSIDE THE RCN BUT THEY ALSO SERVE
OUTCAN (SHAPE, NORAD, NATO), IN THE RCAF (437 SQN), AND IN OTHER
ORGANIZATIONS ACROSS CANADA. REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY ARE SERVING,
STEWARDS SHOULD BEGIN TO CONSIDER THE NEXT STAGE OF THEIR CAREER.
THEY SHOULD ESTABLISH CONTACT WITH LCDR AUGER, TRANSITION TEAM LEAD,
AND REACH OUT TO THEIR LOCAL PERSONNEL SELECTION OFFICER TO START
DISCUSSING POTENTIAL CAREER OPTIONS. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL BE
PROVIDED IN A DETAILED LETTER FROM THE RCN AND A SPECIAL COMPULSORY
OCCUPATIONAL TRANSFER (COT) CAMPAIGN WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THE NEAR
FUTURE. THAT PROGRAM WILL BE DEDICATED TO THE OCCUPATION TRANSFER OF
STEWARDS AND FACILITATE THEIR RETENTION IN THE CAF

B. ENSURE THE CONTROLLED TRANSFER OF RESPONSIBILITIES FROM STEWARD TO
OTHER OCCUPATIONS OR WORKFORCES. THE DIRECTOR OF NAVAL PERSONNEL
(DNP), AS THE DELEGATED AUTHORITY FOR CC1 ORGANIZATION AND
ESTABLISHMENT AND RCN-MANAGED OCCUPATIONS, WILL LEAD THE ANALYSIS TO
REALLOCATE TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES, WITHIN CC1, FROM STEWARDS TO
OTHER OCCUPATIONS. DNP WILL WORK WITH DIRECTOR PERSONNEL GENERATION
REQUIREMENTS (DPGR) TO ENSURE ANY SUBSEQUENT CHANGES ARE MADE TO THE
APPROPRIATE OCCUPATION SPECIFICATIONS AND WITH CHIEF OF PROGRAMME
(CPROG) TO ENSURE CHANGES TO ORGANIZATION AND ESTABLISHMENT ARE
REFLECTED IN GUARDIAN. OTHER ORGANIZATIONS THAT EMPLOY STEWARDS,
SHALL WORK WITH OCCUPATIONAL AUTHORITIES AND DPGR TO DEVELOP AND
IMPLEMENT PLANS TO ASSIGN EXTANT POSITIONS TO ALTERNATE OCCUPATIONS,
THE CIVILIAN SECTOR, OR ELIMINATE TASKS. ALL ORGANIZATIONS SHALL
INFORM DNP AND THE TRANSITION TEAM OF THESE PLANS SO THAT THE
TRANSITION OF BOTH ESTABLISHMENT AND PEOPLE CAN BE SYNCHRONIZED

4. THE RCN WILL WORK WITH OTHER FUNCTIONAL AUTHORITIES TO FACILITATE
THE RETIREMENT OF THE STEWARD OCCUPATION NLT 31 MARCH 2026

A. THE TRANSITION TEAM WILL ASSIST IN THE TRANSFER OF
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESTABLISHMENT IN THE RCN, MONITOR THE TRANSFER
OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESTABLISHMENT OUTSIDE OF THE RCN, AND TRACK
THE TRANSITION OF INDIVIDUAL SAILORS. THE TRANSITION TEAM SHOULD BE
THE FIRST POINT OF CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING STEWARDS OR THE
STEWARD OCCUPATION

B. CFRG. WILL IMMEDIATELY CEASE ENROLMENT TO THE STEWARD OCCUPATION
AND WILL REORIENT CURRENT APPLICANTS TO OTHER OCCUPATIONS

C. DMCPG. WILL SUPPORT THE COMPULSORY OCCUPATION TRANSFERS OF
STEWARDS TO OTHER OCCUPATIONS THROUGH A DEDICATED COMPULSORY
OCCUPATIONAL TRANSFER (COT) PROGRAM, WHICH WILL BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY

D. TRANSITION GROUP. WILL SUPPORT TRANSITION THROUGH TRANSITION
CENTRES FOR THOSE WHO ELECT TO RELEASE FROM THE CAF

E. CPROG. ALTHOUGH THIS TRANSITION IS INTENDED TO ALIGN WITH THE
ANNUAL ESTABLISHMENT CHANGE CYCLE, CPROG WILL IMPLEMENT OUT OF CYCLE
ESTABLISHMENT CHANGES TO ENABLE THE TRANSITION

5. POINTS OF CONTACT
A. RCN DIRECTOR OF NAVAL PERSONNEL: CAPT(N) LUC TREMBLAY
B. RCN TRANSITION TEAM LEAD: LCDR PIERRE AUGER (PIERRE.AUGER AT
FORCES.GC.CA OR PLUS SIGN RCN STEWARD - MRC STEWARD AT C NAVY DNP AT
OTTAWA-HULL)
C. STEWARD OCCUPATION MANAGER: CPO1 ERIC FRIGON
D. STEWARD CAREER MANAGER: CPO2 STEPHANE PILON
E. RCN ORGANIZATION AND ESTABLISHMENT: CDR KARINE LARCHEVEQUE
F. RCN COMMAND PSO: MAJ MADONNA DROGOSIEWICZ
G. DMCPG OCCUPATION TRANSFER: LCOL LYNNE POIRIER
H. DPGR: LCOL DAWN GILLAN/LCOL TIM HOGAN
I. CPROG DIRECTOR DEFENCE FORCE PLANNING ESTABLISHMENT: LCDR
JULIANNE OELKE-SIMONSEN
J. RCAF ORGANIZATION AND ESTABLISHMENT: LCOL KELLY HARVEY/LCOL
GUILLAUME MALLET

END OF ENGLISH TEXT/

THE DIRECTOR OF NAVAL PERSONNEL
(DNP), AS THE DELEGATED AUTHORITY FOR CC1 ORGANIZATION AND
ESTABLISHMENT AND RCN-MANAGED OCCUPATIONS, WILL LEAD THE ANALYSIS TO
REALLOCATE TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
, WITHIN CC1, FROM STEWARDS TO
OTHER OCCUPATIONS.

Wait, so they haven't done the analysis yet of who they are going to transition the job responsibilities to? Shouldn't you figure that out before deciding to axe the trade? Holy crap.

$100 says they will reallocate the responsibilities without looking at the actual personnel numbers, as adding a hand full of a different trade to the ships will probably add 50+ ish jobs that suddenly need filled.

Never have seen an organization so hell bent on meaningless gestures and changing things that are working, when they are ignoring massive issues.

Wait, so they haven't done the analysis yet of who they are going to transition the job responsibilities to? Shouldn't you figure that out before deciding to axe the trade? Holy crap.

$100 says they will reallocate the responsibilities without looking at the actual personnel numbers, as adding a hand full of a different trade to the ships will probably add 50+ ish jobs that suddenly need filled.

Never have seen an organization so hell bent on meaningless gestures and changing things that are working, when they are ignoring massive issues.

There is a plan, for the ships. You must understand these messages are meant to be open ended and not paint the organization into a corner.

Shore based positions I would expect to go to the Civ NPF world where possible.

excited ralph wiggum GIF

I am looking forward to seeing people complain about the Deck Department spitting in their food 😁

onion rings spit in food GIF

But: 'Executive Curl' ;)

Why would the deck dept touch the food? The way I hear it, everyone will serve themselves, in the near future.

You cant self serve from the feed line, I know I know we've all done it. There will be a cook or scullery there to slap portions on plates.

The big change for feeding will be in the Wardroom where they will go from table service to a feed line. Which a CPF wardroom wasn't built for. I expect some teething pains here.

And I expect the CO will continue to have some sort or personal service, be it an assigned cook or otherwise.

You cant self serve from the feed line, I know I know we've all done it. There will be a cook or scullery there to slap portions on plates.

The big change for feeding will be in the Wardroom where they will go from table service to a feed line. Which a CPF wardroom wasn't built for. I expect some teething pains here.

And I expect the CO will continue to have some sort or personal service, be it an assigned cook or otherwise.
@SeaKingTacco see above. Any time I've been in the JRs or the C&POs Mess, there are scullery in the meal line serving.

I remember when this whole idea of getting rid of stewards was first pitched, one COA was to amalgamate them with Boatswains. I remember the Boatswains complaining about "serving food" saying none of them signed up to do that.

Another big problem will be who sets aside food for watchkeepers or does the Kitchen have to put on more meals? I often had food wrapped up and left for me to eat later because my watch schedule doesn't permit me to make feeding times.

I am interested to see how they tackle this. 😁

Back