• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Credit Check Superthread- Merged Topics

• Thread starter Thread starter qualified
  • Start date Start date

If you are having problems be up front with it, I was in a similar situation, i took a credit hit for defaulting on some payments. I can now pay for my debts with my civ job, so I answered yes to the question " can you pay for your debts currently," however, After contacting my debtors and realising an issue, I went to see a professional who set me up on a plan that will work now and will work if I have a CF career. My credit issues showed up on my background check, so I promptly provided proof that I was honouring my payment schedule...If you are having problems you should do the same...consider a 'consumer credit proposal', it will put your student loan on ice for 5 years until you can afford to pay it off. A credit proposal is NOT bankruptcy and just helps you manage things over a period of time. for me it's a five year schedule to pay everything off, and im relaxed because student loans no longer calls me, because they are aware of my intentions to repay;. 

There's a reason they do credit checks.  If you say you're fine, and you're defaulting on payments, they will find out, and you will not get in.

T

Insert Quote
I have a short story, and questions about the enhanced security check.

Since I was 19 I went to a recruiter office in Saskatoon to try to enlist.  From that time I went through a process of being recruited.  I decided to wait upon halfway through my recruiting process to finish my grade 12, which I had only my grade 10 at the time.  I finally I finished when i was 21 year's old.  Then unfortunately I caught a person breaking into my car one summer before I was to be enrolled in University and joining the army reserves.  Since i didn't see the person break into my car, and i held him till the police got there i was charged with common assault.  It taken me 1 year to get the charges thrown out by the courts. then another year to get the matter erased and apology from the Saskatoon police with help from FSIN.  after this I decided to try again to enlist.  Friends of mine joined the United States Marines and U.S Army under the JAY treaty because they are treaty Canadian Indian.  Upon my second time enlisting, i accumulated debt from this ordeal from 3 years of school etc.  I have 2 debt that are from when i was 19, I'm 24 now.  Which is credit card debt of 600$, and cell phone, Phone bill. I also owe student loan but I just got a job and paid up with them recently.  My debt is around $3000.  I was promise incentives by the U.S Army to enlist and my friends are encouraging me to fallow suit.  I love my country and I dreamed of helping for a long time.  But past studnet debts are keeping me from being recruited.  They told me I have to have them paid off.  My question is Do I have to have them all paid off before trying again.  I just found a contruction job that pays about $2200 a month I'm in process of paying some debt off.  But will the Debt from 5-years ago prevent me from being in the Canadian Forces, I'm not worried about the other debt I can pay it off. but  just the 5 year old debt. I was a broke first nations student, now I'm down school and everything.  I don't want to join a the U.S armed forces only as a last resort.  Please help me with info on Debt and the Canadian Forces recruiting process, and do I have a chance of getting in if i stay on the route.  I Want to enlist by next year for sure and pay off my debt.

Well from experience with the same problem, I had too pay off all my debts before getting excepted. I didn't even know about the bill that wasn't paid . I was joining up and that was the only thing holding me up. I just paid it, then the credit people to faxed me the confirmation it was paid then sent it too my recruiter. They then went on with my file. You do what you want .The US Army/Marines are probably great but why not pay off your bills here and serve your homeland country.. They will probably want you to pay your bill before joining them anyways.

Deves...

They told me I have to have them paid off.  My question is Do I have to have them all paid off before trying again.

Really hard time reading that story but if the 'they' you are referring to is the CFRC/D that you applied to then guess what ?  You have to pay off your outstanding debts.

HH

If it wasnt for reading responses from thsi site I wouldnt think I had a 2nd chance to get in the Canadian Army, I will get this debt paid and apply next year. After reading everybodys debt prob and recruiting problems gives me hope and I can't to get in the Canadian amry and fight. 

Is being $5,000 in debt with a bad credit rating going to prevent someone from being accepted? and if so, how much of that would you have to pay off before they continue to process the application?

Did you read this thread through or are you just hoping someone will give you a qick answer?

cftoronto said:
Is being $5,000 in debt with a bad credit rating going to prevent someone from being accepted? and if so, how much of that would you have to pay off before they continue to process the application?

If it has gone to collection then yes.  The debt would have to be paid off in full or you must provide documentation that you have addressed the debt and are making payments.

Not to pointlessly ressurect an old topic, but what about high debt loiad, but with R1 ratings, no defaults, no collections, nothing.  Just owing a lot of unsecured debt. (And Im not talking 3k).

Meridian said:
Not to pointlessly ressurect an old topic, but what about high debt loiad, but with R1 ratings, no defaults, no collections, nothing.  Just owing a lot of unsecured debt. (And Im not talking 3k).

Holy f****......go apply and see what happens....... ::)

cdnaviator said:
Holy f****......go apply and see what happens....... ::)

I did.

But since I have to wait for VFS, medical, and CFAT scores to all be found and collated, it will be a while before I find out, according to the CFRC.  The question was also not answered by the above; -AND- I placed this in the appropriate thread.  Due to other issues  with employment currently, Id like to have a realistic idea (or even a best guess). When I asked at the CFRC, I didn't get a direct response because they didn't want to officially pass judgement on something they are not qualified for.  I'm asking for advice or any knowledge someone might have on here who -is- qualified or who has access to someone who is.  I've always looked at this Forum as a great venue for that. 

Whats your problem?  If you don't want to answer, or if no-one has accurate responses, then thats fine.  But if every time anyone posts anything on here they get jumped on, we might as well close the Recruiting forums all together.

I am pretty sure I answered this question for you last year.  If you don't have any of your debt gone to collection then there is no issue.

kincanucks said:
I am pretty sure I answered this question for you last year.  If you don't have any of your debt gone to collection then there is no issue.

Thank you.

Let me see,

What is it you are championing???

Meridian's questions on credit

Meridian said:
I did.

But since I have to wait for VFS, medical, and CFAT scores to all be found and collated, it will be a while before I find out, according to the CFRC.  The question was also not answered by the above; -AND- I placed this in the appropriate thread.  Due to other issues  with employment currently, Id like to have a realistic idea (or even a best guess). When I asked at the CFRC, I didn't get a direct response because they didn't want to officially pass judgement on something they are not qualified for.  I'm asking for advice or any knowledge someone might have on here who -is- qualified or who has access to someone who is.  I've always looked at this Forum as a great venue for that. 

Whats your problem?   If you don't want to answer, or if no-one has accurate responses, then thats fine.  But if every time anyone posts anything on here they get jumped on, we might as well close the Recruiting forums all together.

kincanucks said:

Meridian said:
Thank you.

Yet you still have the gall to complain when time and time again you have asked the same question, and have been answered??

Geez you will make a keen officer in our realm...

dileas

tess

Having bad credit is not a show stopper. Having a bad attitude toward your debts is. My recruiting officer said i have the worst credit he has ever seen, and i do. However he recognized that about a year ago i started making payments (only small) to some of my written off accounts. Also I signed up for a credit counselling program. I was merit listed on Jan 24th... I recieved an offer today (jan 26th) and will be sworn in on jan 31st /// right off to BMQ Gagetown for Feb 5th..........................My application started ~November 10th. A positive attitude will take you anywhere..

On a sidenote i want to thank everyone here. Without your insight It would have been much more difficult. Thank you all.

-steve

Im re-applying to the regular forces (infantry) after vr-ing back in march of 2006 due to family medical reasons. after handing in my application, they called me back saying id have to pay off in total or start paying off the 1500$ i owe. the question in which im asking is, since my mastercard, after asking, wont give me any papers saying that ive been paying it weekly or whatever, will receipts from the payments work instead to get the application process started up again?

i just want to make sure before i feel like an a$$ giving them 25$, 50$ receipts and them looking at me like im a jacka$$  :-\

First off I'd have to ask who told you that you had to pay off your debts first, I'm in the middle of a bankruptcy, its more common in the queens employ than one would think, and of course the recruiters arent complete retards (borderlined liars maybe) if you walk in with a mastercard statement showing steady payments they're liable to accept it, baring that of course receipts are the next best thing

thats the funny thing, cause i told him, its at collection so its not like its collecting interest, and ive heard of people declaring bankrupcty and still going through the process. ive been making little payments here and there, but nothing steady until about 2 weeks ago, im just at a part time job right now so its hard to pay it all off before i want to get going with the army, but yeah, thanks for the answer, guess ill just tell him that im paying everyweek and ill bring the receipts in, wonder if the application will resume once i hand them in or if ill have to wait longer.

nothing ever goes smoothly.  :-\

Hmm, when they told me they'd do my security and credit check, they never mentioned anything about debt. I owe about $5700 on my Visa and have about $5200 left on my personal loan. They didn't say a word to me.

Back