• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Critical Injury Benefit

Is it just the three of us moving through this process? Any updates from anyone?

Just spoke with VAC favourable decision made as of Oct 5th. Applied on the 14th of July.

Teager said:
Just spoke with VAC favourable decision made as of Oct 5th. Applied on the 14th of July.

Congrats.

Mind saying what was your specific case (minus any personal/uncomfortable details of course)?

Wow, congrats indeed!

I applied on July 3rd, and they are feeding me a line because it took them until August 19th to transfer the file to adjudication my decision isnt due until November 11th. - Fitting day.
Which is odd because they had every drip of information, there was nothing to be provided.

Either way congrats again! Did you get the letter yet, or did they disclose the decision over the phone?

I had called my case manager for an update and was told that way. I have not recieved anything by mail yet so will let you know any info once I get it.

Rob most of my injuries came from a suicide bomber who also had ball bearings on a foot patrol. Multiple injuries to both legs a wound to my bowel and a ball bearing that hit me in the neck which is believed to have shocked my spinal cord and caused temporary paralysis and nerve damage. One doctor put as like having a stroke to one side of my body. Was in hospital for a total of about 5 months.

How I fit the criteria I'm guessing because of being in the ICU longer than what the criteria states and since I couldn't move for a few months required assistance in everything and afterwards required assistance at home.

Hopefully your guys decision is coming in the next few days. I was told that the adjudicators are busy not just due to the amount of work but also because they are training some of the new staff that has been hired.

However PIA is still in progress and about 2 months over due.

That sounds incredibly familiar, are you from Northern Ontario?

When it's all said and done that would be great to know how long it took to process payment,!if you had to do the silly 888 forms ect.

Thanks again, glad you are getting a little extra for what sounds like something very painful

This benefit is definitely going to present the department with problems. The criteria of 'suddenness' is going to result in some veterans receiving significantly more money than others for similar medical outcomes, because one person suffers their 'critical injury/illness' in a sudden manner whereas for someone else it develops more slowly. I know this has been brought to the attention of VAC staff at the policy making level; I'll be curious to hear once the election side show it out of the way whether this is being revisited at all. Someone who is hurt in an IED blast, by a gunshot, or in a LAV rollover is very clearly injured in a sudden enough manner, whereas someone who develops cancer over the course of a few years because of some sort of toxic exposure or who develops several back issues after years of parachute jumps is not. We will see soldiers as severely debilitated by more gradual, progressive injuries or illnesses as those who are injured or sicked much more rapidly, but only some will qualify for the benefit. We'll probably see this one go to court over something like someone who becomes ill as a result of shipboard firefighting or something like that.

Hopefully the department can reevaluate this benefit. The entire benefits package needs to be rewritten and harmonized, but the CIB 'bump to the lump' is a poorly executed plan that was meiocre to begin with.

Agreed Brihard. I believe the benefit was created simply for Afghan vets and not really those that get an illness or have serious issues that develop over the long term. I saw a member can't remember what illness he had but it was slowly deteriorating him over time where he could do less and less and eventually ended up in a wheelchair and requires daily assistance. Now the way the criteria is laid out I don't think he will qualify because it is something that has gotten worse over time. IMO those are the soldiers that deserve the benefit just as much as the guy that was seriously injured.

Dunlop not from Northern ON but closer to the GTA.

A reminder to folks who receive an unfavourable decision regarding their CIB application. Those decisions fall under Part 3 of the NVC, and therefore "enjoy" (used very loosely) appeal rights to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board.

Teager said:
I saw a member can't remember what illness he had but it was slowly deteriorating him over time where he could do less and less and eventually ended up in a wheelchair and requires daily assistance. Now the way the criteria is laid out I don't think he will qualify because it is something that has gotten worse over time.

I would say the way the criteria is laid out, there is no way he would qualify.

Its definitely unfair. The criteria require both a "sudden" injury as well as pretty specific times for hospitalization.

I was flown into Role 4 in a black hawk off of Highway #1 outside of Kandahar and I doubt that I'll qualify, due to not being hospitalized long enough.

Well, I MIGHT if they consider role 4 an ICU, but somehow, I doubt it.

dunlop303 said:
Teager did you get paid yet? Anyone else hear anything?

Haven't even recieved the letter yet. Don't get why the letter is taking so long. Hoping it will be here tomorrow or next week sometime.

Scratch my previous. I was paid today via direct deposit. No letter as of yet tho.

Decision is due next week, based on VAC's wonky calcs at least. I submitted the application on July 3rd, but they didn't transfer anything over to adjudication until Aug 20th or so.
I don't agree, but they state that their service standard does not start to countdown until that point. Is anyone else awaiting a decision?

Hopefully you get an answer by the time the deadline is up. I believe the only other one here waiting is RobA. Keep an eye on your bank account if your set up with VAC for direct deposit as my letter showed up a week after they deposited the funds.

Will do,

Does the approved CIB show up anywhere on your "My Vac" page?

I just checked and it does not show anything other than my submitted application.

Hey Teager, how about in your "payment history" section under your current benefits?
Anything show there? The departmental review that is over due in adjudication doesn't show up anywhere either for me.

I just had a look it looks like my VAC account has been re-vamped. Under "Other Benefits" it shows my payment for the CIB.

Back