• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR Support Jobs

danteh

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently a fire fighter at 8 wing and have come to dislike the way my trade is going (becoming more of a CE working maintaining buildings rather than a fire fighter) and I was told because our trade is red the only trades we can switch to is SAR Tech or any trade within CANSOFCOM. I was interested in the support side of CSOR however when I emailed the recruiter they mentioned they don't have fire fighter positions within the unit which I can understand.

I am currently tasked up north for awhile and had emailed the recruiter on my personal email but he told me he can't give me specific information on the jobs unless he knows I am in the forces (i.e. emailing from my dwan account, which I can't do because I don't have access to it) so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows of any jobs within the csor support side that are ATR.

I understand if you want to follow the side of the recruiter and not give info because, well, no proof that I am in the forces.

Thank You.

For a Pte Firefighter,  at best you might be able to get a ATR position like CQ staff, but that's just a guess.  Best bet would be to wait till you get back and able to log onto a DWAN computer and get an answer from the recruiting cell.

danteh said:
becoming more of a CE working maintaining buildings rather than a fire fighter

Isn't that a good thing, buildings and stuff not being on fire all the time?

It is a good thing that there are no fire calls but when your job revolves around waiting for fire calls there are an absurd amount of make work projects.

I was thinking that working the CQ would be on of the jobs but I need to find a job that I can see myself doing for 2 years

Well,  because of your trade you are going to be limited danteh,  what are you wanting to do within CSOR ?

Have you emailed other units like CJIRU or 427?  They may have jobs that would interest you.

danteh said:
I am currently a fire fighter at 8 wing and have come to dislike the way my trade is going (becoming more of a CE working maintaining buildings rather than a fire fighter) and I was told because our trade is red the only trades we can switch to is SAR Tech or any trade within CANSOFCOM.

Mind if I ask who told you that?  The info I am sitting here looking at shows FF as GREEN and slightly over PML.

FF restricted to OT to what you said, I'm not seeing anything that verifies that on the PSO or D Mil C sites either.

-Skeletor- said:
Well,  because of your trade you are going to be limited danteh,  what are you wanting to do within CSOR ?

Have you emailed other units like CJIRU or 427?  They may have jobs that would interest you.

CJIRU was my second choice because I have talked with a lot of other fire fighters who have gone through there (used to be a fire fighter posting to get out of doing a ship tour).

My main goal was to go in as a support role to get a glimpse of the feeling of working for a CANSOF unit then apply for the assaulter selection but I need to spend two years in the same role on the support end. But at the end of everything I would like to be an assaulter but because i've never seen the life I have no idea whether or not I'd be ready mentally or physically. I highly doubt it would be anything like going through battle school...

and Eye In The Sky the PSO at 8 Wing did when I was inquiring about going MP.

danteh said:
My main goal was to go in as a support role to get a glimpse of the feeling of working for a CANSOF unit then apply for the assaulter selection but I need to spend two years in the same role on the support end.

Assaulter is the gunfighter job in JTF2,  in CSOR they are Operators.

If your goal is to be an Operator,  I would just go for it.  Why put in on hold for 2 years, especially spending it in a job that you may not like doing,  or there may not be any positions within CSOR that you can fill.

-Skeletor- said:
Assaulter is the gunfighter job in JTF2,  in CSOR they are Operators.

If your goal is to be an Operator,  I would just go for it.  Why put in on hold for 2 years, especially spending it in a job that you may not like doing.

Thanks for the info.

My goal is to be an operator but I personally don't see myself fit enough to be confident in taking on a course like the selection process when I don't know what it will entail. However when I am thinking of a selection course I am thinking of it being as hard as the JTF-2 one because I have no real idea. I have an exempt on my express test and have a great time on the fire fighter fitness test but that isn't even comparable. I have roughly 15 months before I am set to go on my QL5s and the LAST thing I want to do is take my 5's and change trades. Expecially the way my trade is going our CM would freak out.

Eye In The Sky said:
I am guessing you signed a SOU for FF?  Restricted release/oblig svc?

Yeah. They made me sign one because I went through as a remuster from the infantry

danteh said:
I have roughly 15 months before I am set to go on my QL5s and the LAST thing I want to do is take my 5's and change trades.

Do you want your QL5 course?

If the last thing you want to do is do your QL5 and change trades,  then why do you want to be an Operator(they will eventually become their own trade).

Even if you get into CSOR as a supporter you may or may not get an idea of what is involved in AP and SFC.  Also knowing what is on the course isn't really going to help you pass the course,  your personal drive, teamwork, quick learner,  fitness and ability to suck it up and do the job will.  I know guys(combat arms, and support) who have applied to be Operators without knowing anymore then what is listed on the CSOR website and they made it.  To help prepare PT wise do the CSOR PT program as that is designed to get people ready for the CSOR selection.

If things go bad during AP/SFC you could apply for a support position then and get into the Regiment(if there is support jobs you can do) and try again later if you are able to and still want too do it.

-Skeletor- said:
Do you want your QL5 course?

If the last thing you want to do is do your QL5 and change trades,  then why do you want to be an Operator(they will eventually become their own trade).

Even if you get into CSOR as a supporter you may or may not get an idea of what is involved in AP and SFC.  Also knowing what is on the course isn't really going to help you pass the course,  your personal drive, teamwork, quick learner,  fitness and ability to suck it up and do the job will.  I know guys(combat arms, and support) who have applied to be Operators without knowing anymore then what is listed on the CSOR website and they made it.  To help prepare PT wise do the CSOR PT program as that is designed to get people ready for the CSOR selection.

If things go bad during AP/SFC you could apply for a support position then and get into the Regiment(if there is support jobs you can do) and try again later if you are able to and still want too do it.

I don't want to do my QL5s because I don't have intentions on staying in the trade.

When I get back home I will talk to the PSP staff and see about getting a program made up. Thanks a lot. I think you gave me the little push I needed to go for operator because like you said if things go bad I can still apply for a support position.

Thanks a lot.

I'd check the wording on your SOU very carefully.  The one I saw today on the Trenton WPSO site for FF had a 5 year restricted release for 5 years AFTER completion of QL5, including no VOT.

A copy of that would be on your Pers File (should be).

If the one you signed had the same timelines...might be interesting to discuss with a PSO; Careers might be reluctant to let you out and with that doc signed...

There have been roughly 1 release/VOR per 2 weeks for the past few months from people who have signed the exact same documents. One of my course mates finished his 3's course, put in his release the day he got to the fire hall to go work civi side. He's already got his release date.

Just read your post again

FF had a 5 year restricted release for 5 years AFTER completion of QL5, including no VOT.

I plan on getting out before my 5's

If that wasn't sarcasm than thank you.

If it was, its a little unappreciated.

WOW!

Having read this through, you really don't know what you want to be, do you?

You went Fire Fighter from Infantry.  You have since tried to become an MP, CFJIRU, and are now looking at JTF-2 and CSOR Support.  I don't know what to say, other than: "Make up your mind."

George Wallace said:
You went Fire Fighter from Infantry.  You have since tried to become an MP, CFJIRU, and are now looking at JTF-2 and CSOR Support.  I don't know what to say, other than: "Make up your mind."

You forgot AC Op....  :nod:

danteh said:
I want to change trades to AC Op which is in high demand right now.

Back