• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR Support Jobs

As a former military FF told me once, "fire prevention works".

CDN Aviator said:
As a former military FF told me once, "fire prevention works".

It does and with the new systems that are being put in place at the new hangers that are being made it will make our job even less needed. The new hanger in Trenton has a foam dump system where in like 20 seconds the whole hanger will be covered in foam and the fire will be gone.

danteh said:
It does and with the new systems that are being put in place at the new hangers that are being made it will make our job even less needed. The new hanger in Trenton has a foam dump system where in like 20 seconds the whole hanger will be covered in foam and the fire will be gone.

Doesn't help much when an aircraft crashes out on the field.

danteh said:
Well I have a buddy that just got out of the trade and went to Toronto Fire and his first week there he got more calls than his 7 years in the forces. Its really crazy. But in his words "I'm actually working for my pay check now"

TFS has 80 plus firehouses. Some are much quieter than others.

What you are saying reminds me of what one fireman said to me years ago. That he started his career in one of the busiest houses, then transferred to one of the slowest, and was finishing up at one that was about average.

He said, in his opinion, morale was generally ( "There were exceptions!" ) better in the busy houses.

Back on topic:

For those with DWAN access there is a new CANFORGEN outlining the procedures for CANSOFCOM supporter positions, and the current positions avail.

Check it out if you are interested.

Sorry, back off topic for a moment: I have never experienced a worse time in a firehouse than month two of a dry spell. I have worked both the full time and volunteer sides under a few different hats and the effects are the same, but the fallout different.

The best days I have ever had as a firefighter were the ones where we barely had time to fill the booster tank before heading back out the door. Or the double calls. Or the ''throw everything on the engine and blast off to the next one''.

I have friends who have worked the Mil side in Shearwater and Greenwood, and others who have worked in Dockyard or the Magazine. All of them have told me that they sometimes hate life. OTOH, there is my good friend who has been with the HRM for ten years now. He's still early for work and loves every second of it. He's thinking of taking a promotion if they offer him a slot at an 8-5 station that is fifteen minutes from his house. He knows he'll go from working one of the busiest engines in the city to +/- 150 calls a year but he's fine with that.

Back