• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dark Blue Berets return

Journeyman said:
Well, it is  Pride month;  I'm sure you looked lovely.  :whistle:

I looked gorgeous.  8)

See post above.

I rest my case.

;D

Dimsum said:
Despite what some late '90s and early '00s pop stars may want you to think, no one looked good in a bucket hat. 

No one.

The first thing to get modded was hacking out that stupid ear warmer flap. Then, you folded a crease into the crown so it sat flat, it looked far less like a ten pin ball with green towel over it.

Target Up said:
The first thing to get modded was hacking out that stupid ear warmer flap. Then, you folded a crease into the crown so it sat flat, it looked far less like a ten pin ball with green towel over it.
e271e296055663002730f28b0048909d.jpg

Wearing mine this summer as OPFOR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the way to do it to not look like an idiot. :nod:

For those youngsters who do not understand "Robin Hood" style, THIS is full-on Robin Hood mode and was the way we in 2 and 3 RCHA were required to wear combat caps except when in the field.

57190339_2408239529187227_5093401535937773568_n.jpg

:cheers:

FJAG said:
For those youngsters who do not understand "Robin Hood" style, THIS is full-on Robin Hood mode and was the way we in 2 and 3 RCHA were required to wear combat caps except when in the field.

Thanks for the bad memories:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJAG said:

And to think someone actually did that and said to themselves "I look good"  :rofl:

Dimsum said:
And to think someone actually did that and said to themselves "I look good"  :rofl:

Excessive foot stamping, combined with the fumes from Capo and Brasso will, in time, rot the brain.

If people are proposing new beret colours for the Army, here's an idea for airmobile infantry/cavalry.  It's noticeably different from the airborne maroon and special forces tan, but unique.

(And I apologize.  I took the picture from my iPhone, but it won't make it stand up)

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 138
Fred Herriot said:
If people are proposing new beret colours for the Army, here's an idea for airmobile infantry/cavalry.  It's noticeably different from the airborne maroon and special forces tan, but unique.

(And I apologize.  I took the picture from my iPhone, but it won't make it stand up)

Fixed that for you.

90zq6a.jpg

Dan M said:
Fixed that for you.

90zq6a.jpg

That is remarkably like the Balmoral most Scottish (Militia Infantry) units wear in the field.

I love mine... nice and warm with a solid fit all the way around the brim so it soaks up the sweat much better than a beret.

Yeah, it's the way the person who made it for my little lady there makes them.  Still, it's easy to imagine it being like the standard berets we wear/once wore, eh?

FJAG said:

Was this for garrison wear as well, replacing beret?

Fred Herriot said:
Yeah, it's the way the person who made it for my little lady there makes them.  Still, it's easy to imagine it being like the standard berets we wear/once wore, eh?

If she makes adult sized versions, she might get some business!

Castus said:
Was this for garrison wear as well, replacing beret?

At this time we had gone away from berets in the field. From inception you wore the combat cap (hat) with combat dress. The beret was only worn with Greens and we had a baseball cap to wear with work dress. From what I recall, even with Greens, the primary headdress was the peaked cap.

I'm trying to recall when the beret came in for wearing with combats in the field but have lost track of the time only remembering that many of us didn't like it because the combat cap was much more practical and you didn't have to worry about it getting dirty in the field (just throw it in the washing machine) I know I wore my old combat cap as long as I could get away with it and resurrected it for field wear much later in my career with the legal branch (as per the picture further up in the thread)

I think that originally the combat cap was withdrawn from service some time in the mid 1970s in favor of the beret but was reintroduced a few years later. I know that I've seen pictures of them being worn until the late 1990's. The original caps were a little bit different in that the cloth was a lighter weight cloth and the brim just a tad smaller than the later version. If I remember correctly, the early version didn't have the dopey earflaps either. It was difficult to turn the later version into a decent looking Robin Hood style as it was too stiff and the brim didn't fold up quite right and to my recollection it was mostly worn bucket style.

FJAG said:
I think that originally the combat cap was withdrawn from service some time in the mid 1970s in favor of the beret but was reintroduced a few years later. I know that I've seen pictures of them being worn until the late 1990's. The original caps were a little bit different in that the cloth was a lighter weight cloth and the brim just a tad smaller than the later version. If I remember correctly, the early version didn't have the dopey earflaps either. It was difficult to turn the later version into a decent looking Robin Hood style as it was too stiff and the brim didn't fold up quite right and to my recollection it was mostly worn bucket style.

As I recall, i wore mine into the early 2000s, until I was issued CADPAT everything.

Mine remains in my closet, ready to be returned when I finally release, in order to make junior Sup Techs in clothing stores say "What the hell is that?"

Back