• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Piper,

I cannot begin to understand how you feel, although as a proud member of the CF who has served in Kandahar, I can relate to your words. Thank you for sharing them. For we who have been there will never forget. A small piece of all of us will remain there always.

Peace,

tdub

Piper...wow...thanks, brother!  :salute:  I can relate in but a very small way, the desire to return to Afghanistan without reservation, having had for the most part an excellent experience in AFG.  You have captured the essence of camaraderie and the incredibly close bonds that are forged in the furnace of combat...truly "brothers in arms."  There is no taking back what happened, no matter how much you and all of us might want that...but your strength of character shows through what you have experienced.  Let your desire to return give you strength in your recovery and clarity of purpose, Afghans could not be better served having you on the ground again.

If I can swing it, I'll trade you a lesson to hone my burls on Black Bear (very out-of-practice neophyte piper from...oh, let's just say...a few years back) for a terrain-ripping (yet fully-flying-order-compliant) shred through the weeds at 15ft and say, 150kmh...

Take care of yourself, and godspeed in your recovery!

G2G

Piper, If I ever meet you brother your geting a hug and and toste and beer for those who paid the ultimate price.
You get better, and you play those pipes. You might have missed the cerimony, But they will always hear you when you play.
:salute:

Piper,

There is nothing I can say that will adequately express the gratitude I feel towards you and your fellow soldiers.  "Thank you" doesn't come close.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, military and otherwise.

:salute:

Thank you!! As a "niner domestic" with DH currently home on HLTA, I have been finding out more about Sept. 3. DH opened up, explained everything, his guilty feelings about how things occured, etc. Like I told him, please don't feel guilty. Every one that day, did what they possibly could.(DH LAV was one left on the field)

Thank you, get well soon and keep in touch!!

Powerful words - thanks for sharing them.  I think it's a good sign, being able to share this kind of thing with someone - better than leaving it bottled up.

I certainly can't speak for them, but I'm guessing that as happy as they would be to see you back in the section/pl/coy, your colleagues certainly wouldn't want you feeling guilty because you're still healing.

Take care in the work ahead of you, and humble thanks for the sacrifices made.  You deserve every good thing you have, and have coming to you. :salute:

<<TONY>>

I am reading this and I can feel your pain.
It's when I read threads like these that I tend to remember why you brave soldiers are out there in the first place.
And it is moments like these, when a soldier speaks his heart, that people should learn how to respect a little more.

There's so much I wish to say but I will leave it to the basics ...
Your voice is heard and respected by lots of good people.
It's sad of all the losses. But just know, what you have done, and are still doing .. is not going unnoticed.

And I hope the mods don't delete this entry.
It's entries like these that makes this place 'home'.
Because we all need a home where we can vent. And it's not everyone that can take this heat.

I wish you the best of luck. You certainly deserve it.  :salute:    :cdn:

Piper,

I read your post and the first thing that came to mind was the closing sequence in the movie The Bridges At Toko-Ri when the admiral, gazing in awe at the jets launching off the carrier deck,  asks rhetorically:

Where do we find men like these ?

Thank you for being there.  God Bless You :salute:

After leaving 2 RCR my friends went to Somalia, and then Bosnia. I felt guilty the whole time. I still feel guilty not being there 15 years later. The only thing I can say is that your family here needs you. In the end those are the people who will be there for you. Don't let that go.

Piper....

Be well, recover, live your life, love your wife. She's been there with you through your tough time and despite her objections, she will likely realise that you love your family and your military family enough, that she'll one day support your return to battle if you so desire. Somehow they can be that strong. The thing about people in this world is that there will  be other wars, other bonds forged, a widening of your military family. I think your guys are happy you're home and recovering. You've done your bit.

Well done post. I appreciate your honesty and openness. The sound of the pipes are a powerful and inspiring thing for the soldier....Love 'em or hate 'em (I love 'em) they inspire the kind of fury and pride in a fighting man that makes the enemy shake.

Be proud of your contribution. Heal yourself, get back into fighting shape and bring the fight to the bad man on another day.

You and all of our brave wounded are in my thoughts every day.

Cheers

HH.

HollywoodHitman said:
love your wife. She's been there with you through your tough time and despite her objections, she will likely realise that you love your family and your military family enough, that she'll one day support your return to battle if you so desire.

Actually, she read my post for the first time last night and informed me that I made her seem like a jerk... She wanted me to realize that even if I did go back, she'd still be here waiting for me.  She just doesn't want me to go back, and would do anything short of knee-capping me, al a Stephan Kings 'Misery', to keep me from going... she might actually go further after that post...j/k.

So, as much as it may seem otherwise, I have had so much support from everyone; family, friends... members of Army.ca... and even random people who email me..  I can only hope that the others who have come home feel this much support.

BTW.  To the members and staff of Army.ca; Thank you.  :salute:

Cheers,

- Piper

Thank you brother! As an ex-member of Charles Company ( 8 Pl Comd in 2000-2002), I understand your feelings of family with such as an amazing group of soldiers.  I still know most of the guys there and I can only imagine how much closer that sense of family is right now.  I would have given both nuts to lead those soldiers into battle at any time. 

Speedy recovery to you, and to the rest of the wounded. 

To the rest of the family, come back home to us when your job is done!

Sure, Swift, Lethal.

Chags

Good on ya Piper,

I know exactly how you  are feeling!  As a Highlander, as a former Member of Charles Coy (9pl), and having to return home wounded and being taken away from my brothers then.

Keep up the good work, and remember your greatest challenge lies ahead of you.  You have to keep watch for those boys, and prepare the battallion for their return.

Rest, heal, and enjoy yourself!

dileas

tess

RHFC_piper said:
Actually, she read my post for the first time last night and informed me that I made her seem like a jerk... She wanted me to realize that even if I did go back, she'd still be here waiting for me.  She just doesn't want me to go back, and would do anything short of knee-capping me, al a Stephan Kings 'Misery', to keep me from going... she might actually go further after that post...j/k.

I don't think she sounded like a jerk...she's just being protective, like a good, fiance, mother, girlfriend should be. The bond between your mates is probably as strong, in some ways stronger, than your bond with her. One is based upon experiencing happiness, tribulation, and time with one another, the other is based upon communal misery mixed with moments of terror, punctuated by mostly boredom. Both are equally strong forces.

Heal up brother...your life is just re-beginning.

Thank you. I can't express it better than that, or add anything better than what's already been said.

Thank you.

Piper: Bless your Heart and Soul.  Thank you for sharing your words with us.  You are an inspiration and an incredible Soldier.  You are in our hearts and prayers and hope you achieve a full recovery and your hearts desire. :cdn: :salute:

I feel speechless, but I still feel compelled to say thank you.  Thanks to you and all like you who do more than wring their hands at the depravations of this world, who volunteer to go in harms way for all the rest of us.  I can't remember right now who this quote is from but I think it appropriate:

"People sleep peacably in their beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

A speedy recovery and God bless, you've more than done your duty. :salute: :cdn:

Well said Piper.  I have lurked around these forums for a long time until I seen this post.

I cannot possibly relate to what you have done and been through, but what I can say is Thank You.  Personally I'm joining the reserves myself, and I'm nervous, very nervous.  However, after reading this post it fired up my desire to push ahead and get it done.  I say Thank You again, for your sacrifice, for the sacrifice of our soldiers, and for the inspiration that I have received. 

God Bless you in your recovery and God bless those who fought for us and who continue to do so.

Edit: Just to clean up this post

Back