• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Declining an offer (merged)

Knight13 said:
I applied last week (mind you, I already had everything completed because of ROTP application earlier in the year)  for 1. Infantry 2. Combat Engineer and 3.  Vehicle Technician.  Got a call today for a 5 year contract for the v-tech trade.  The more I thought about it, I realized I wouldn't be happy doing that for the next 5 years because infantry is where my heart is set.  I figured I would decline and let someone who really wants to be a v-tech accept the offer instead.  The CPL who called me said an MCC(?) would call me later in the day to talk to me about the rejection.  Did I screw up? Will this affect my chances of getting into another trade?

Thanks, Knight13

Seems pretty straight forward to me.  Vehicle Tech was your "3rd" choice but your primary interest is "Infantry", so your waiting to do what you "really" want to do, as opposed to something that you won't be happy at.

I thought I had to put 3 down at first... I should have asked.  During the interview the Captain asked me about the vehicle technician trade and I stuttered because I went into the interview only really prepared for the Combat Engineer and Infantry trade! So this wont hinder my chances of getting another offer?

My guess would be , when the MCC calls you today , you just tell them exactly what you told us here , you thought about your 3rd choice , and you couldn't envision yourself doing that for the next X number of years , so you would much rather open a space to someone who would , Don't think this is gonna matter ......

hopefully , everything will be okay , but I wouldn't think its gonna stop you for a career in the army !

I rejected two offers before I got my first choice. If anything I believe it shows that you really want your number 1. No need to worry.

Thanks e-friends,  I suppose I am just looking for an issue where there isn't one!  What does the MCC ask you when he calls? (what does MCC stand for...if anyone knows)

I guess he will ask the reason why , maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim , so maybe try to convince you to take the offer , but if you tell them the same thing you are telling us , it wouldn't be a problem

like I said , this is MY GUESS

krimynal said:
maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim

One thing I will add is that I think Veh Tech would offer more employment opportunities to you upon release than the other two trades.

But, in the end, the choice is yours and if you really can't see yourself doing that for five years, then you were right to reject the offer.

Bare in mind , that we are not here to convince you of anything , just letting you know the details about it , If you want to go cbt engineer or infantry , and your willing to wait for the opportunity , then do it !

we are just saying the fact of the offer !

Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

Edit: When I applied for infantry, the Sgt at the CFRC said there were hundreds of open spots... Is it just the amount of applications that hinder your chances?

Knight13 said:
Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Knight13 said:
Thanks e-friends,  I suppose I am just looking for an issue where there isn't one!  What does the MCC ask you when he calls? (what does MCC stand for...if anyone knows)

Military career counsellor

krimynal said:
it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN. 

-Skeletor- said:
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades.

you still shouldn't consider this a career path !

-Skeletor- said:
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN.

But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

Knight13 said:
But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

If you finished your contract they won't stop you. You will have done your time. But seeing as you have doubts about it... I wouldn't recommend it. The consequences of accepting a job for 5 years that you don't want to do will outweigh turning one down. In your case at the moment it's a non-issue. Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch. Recruiters fill quotas, not look out for your best interests. But they will take your interests into account.

UnwiseCritic said:
.... Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch ....
You'll just have to be prepared to wait longer.

Knight13 said:
Just to reinforce what others here have said, it's possible to change trades, but a quick search of the forums will show many others harping on the same themes:
1)  it can suck doing something you don't want to do waiting to maybe end up doing something you do want to do; and
2)  it'll suck more if (like in many cases) it takes a looooooooong time to VOT - and maybe still come up with an "no" at the end of that road.

Good luck in your efforts!

thanks for the info everyone.  The MCC hasn't called yet, so he probably won't call today.  Just gonna keep pushing for infantry

I have received an offer for my second choice on my application form. All the trades I applied for are interesting to me, however I did carefully rank order them. I inquired about my first choice trade and was informed it is closed until the next budget is released (Apr. 1).

If I decline this initial offer, does it take further offers of this trade off the table? When the new budget drops and updated recruiting goals are released, are qualified candidates potentially re-offered jobs? I just don't want to skunk my whole application by potentially holding out for my #1 trade. I want into the CF, and I'd accept this offer if I knew my odds of getting my #1 are/will be nil. I would also accept this same trade if offered again after the new budget is released, because my #1 is closed or not hiring for whatever reason. I also know that #2 is or was high demand this year, I don't know the status of #1 in the past, but it was not high demand this year.

It just seems like waiting a couple of extra months for my #1 is worth it, but not if it compromises everything, including my chances of getting another offer at all.

For reference:
#1 Comm Rsch
#2 ATIS Tech

Any advice or statistics would be greatly appreciated. Has #1 ever been high demand, or are spaces in that trade few and far between as it is?

Hello Dark Chivalry,

There are approximately thirteen positions for Comm Rsch that will be available in the fiscal year. If you really want that occupation, you can decline your current offer and request to be put back on the merit list for Comm Rsch, when it opens.

You need to speak directly with your recruiter in order to get a better idea on your chances of being accepted for Comm Rsch, when it opens again.

Back