• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deploying the DART to Asia

I think Lorne Gunther, in today's National Post at:  http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/comment/story.html?id=30e79d4b-6efe-4048-84d4-c3a7e52885af   just about sums it up as far as I am concerned.   He has identified the symptoms and the underlying cause ...

Emphasis added

We have the heart but we can't deliver it

Lorne Gunter

National Post

January 17, 2005

Saturday, while watching a domestic cable news network, I heard my umpteenth Canadian official/celebrity/aid worker piously tout the fact that Canada is giving more to tsunami relief than the United States.

It's not true, for one thing. If you add up the value of their aid, plus the cost of the aircraft carrier, relief ships, transport planes, squadrons of helicopters and all the personnel needed to man them, fuel needed to run them and ferry food and water to tsunami victims, the Americans' contribution is unsurpassed in the world.

As if compassion were a competition determined by monetary yardsticks and calculators anyway.

Besides, I am always dubious of Liberal accounting.

Our perpetually governing party is famous for back-loading its pledges, giving comparatively small amounts up front, while promising much larger sums in the later years of multi-year programs. This enables them to take credit for amazing generosity now, then find reasons not to come up with the full figure later when the public has forgotten about the commitment.

But, like I said, compassion cannot be written in ledger books. So both Canadians and Canadian governments -- federal and provincial -- deserve credit for the outpouring of their sympathy and kindness, whatever the final totals are.

But hearing Saturday's smug Canadian -- a rocker who recently performed in a tsunami relief concert -- I was reminded of a sad story once told to me by a Christian missionary, and why we have no business being self-righteous.

The missionary had been working in East Africa in the 1980s when one of the region's infamous droughts took hold. Periodically, the Horn of Africa experiences horrendous droughts, the result of either weather or Marxist land reforms, or both.

The aid worker said he was initially touched -- overwhelmed actually -- by the developed world's concern and its torrent of supplies. Governments, private charities and individuals sent mounds of relief.

Then my friend grew increasingly frustrated. Little of the aid got to the victims. What wasn't stolen by unscrupulous government officials for resale, the proceeds from which found their way into numbered accounts, often rotted on the dock or in warehouses. There was no way to get it to those who needed it.

In many places, there was no order. Bandits and rebels hijacked conveys and helped themselves to the contents at the business ends of AK-47s.

Where there was sufficient peace, insufficient infrastructure existed to transport the goodwill offerings of the developed world to the Third World victims of famine.

There is currently a threat of the same thing happening in the tsunami-ravaged regions. The Los Angeles Times reported last weekend: "Relief workers say there are enough food and supplies coming in to meet the basic needs of tsunami victims. Yet many still go wanting." As Michael Elmquist, head of the UN humanitarian affairs office in Indonesia, told ABC News, "It is difficult to get the supplies out (to many regions of Aceh, the hardest hit province in Indonesia). There are no roads, no telephones, no infrastructure of any kind."

Were it not for the American and Australian militaries, Mr. Elmquist explained, "there would be no way to avoid another disaster."

The Australians have 900 troops in the area, plus a full field hospital, helicopters, landing craft capable of delivering supplies to remote beaches and a company of army engineers to rebuild power and water supplies.

So it is all well and good for pompous Canadian pop musicians to tut-tut American miserliness. But our monetary compassion as a nation won't amount to much unless some other nation -- which hasn't starved its military into virtual inoperability over the last three decades -- agrees to deliver the fruits of our generosity in our stead.

Yes, our 200-strong Canadian Forces Disaster Assistance Response Team is doing a superb job in Sri Lanka, ferrying supplies to survivors and the wounded and ill to medical attention. But theirs is a much smaller direct, physical contribution than a country our size, with our resources, could have made if two generations of Liberal politicians hadn't contemptuously suffocated our armed forces.

The anti-military attitude of Canadian nationalists has always astounded me. Just how did they think we were going to preserve our sovereignty, protect our national interests, project our values and keep the international peace without a strong military? By singing John Lennon songs, visualizing world peace, droning on endlessly about "soft power" and badgering the Americans to be more multilateral?

Canada has become a finger-pointer and a cheque-writer in international affairs, not a sleeve-roller. We've done much to be proud of in tsunami relief, but we could have done so much more. And there is a chance much of our well-intentioned assistance will come to naught because, as a nation, we no longer have the capacity to carry our kindness the last, most difficult steps.

© National Post 2005

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2005/01/19/pf-903246.html

I'm sure no one here will be suprised at this article. :-[

Wed, January 19, 2005

PM snubs heroes

PHOTO-OPS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SEEING DART
By GARTH PRITCHARD

IT WAS a circus when Prime Minister Paul Martin visited the disaster area of Kalumai in Sri Lanka this week for a photo opportunity. His people from Ottawa, including the RCMP, were pushing people out of the way, grabbing at cameras, and trampling over graves on the beach in order to photograph the PM.

An RCMP guy tried to interfere with my camera, but one of our soldiers intervened.

A couple of women from the PM's office were running around yelling at people.

It got out of hand. It was crazy.

The whole visit was a photo opportunity -- with cameras set up for the PM in designated spots: Martin on the beach looking out to sea, Martin amid the wreckage, Martin with a homeless kid, Martin taking a token drink of water produced by the DART (Disaster Assistance Response Team) water purifier.

He met with the Canadian commander, Lt. Col. Mike Voith, and a small medical team but didn't visit the camp of the 200 Canadian military people here for tsunami victims.

Martin's handlers wanted no one but their people taking photos. The padre was even shoved out of the way.

And then Martin was gone -- helicoptered out. Maybe 90 minutes in the area. Embarrassing. I'm in Sri Lanka with the DART men and women and, as Canadian soldiers always do, they're working miracles -- but the PM didn't have time to visit them.

I found it a slap in the face.

Why couldn't the PM's handlers have taken him to the soldiers, who are doing a fantastic job?

There were eyebrows raised at the camp when it was learned that he wouldn't be visiting.

The PM would have been prouder to be a Canadian if he'd seen how Canadians soldiers are responding. Yesterday we delivered 35,000 litres of fresh water to people.

IRISH AID GROUP

We're working with an Irish aid group who are fantastic at delivering the water in 750-litre containers that people can draw from.

People are always thanking the Canadians. The DART guys are making friends for Canada, and whatever DART costs, it's being repaid a hundredfold.

The human damage is appalling. Mostly it's injuries and disease that our medics are treating.

Lung infections from seawater are a real concern, and our doctors work overtime treating them. They deal with about 100 people a day.

The human stories go on and on. One girl who lost her parents is catatonic -- hasn't spoken since the disaster, won't eat, just stares. Yesterday a baby was brought in whose mother and grandmother were drowned in a house, but the baby was found on a coat hanger on the wall.

Stories like this are everywhere.

The Canadians are based near the centre of Sri Lanka, and every day teams fan out to different areas.

As is normal with our soldiers, they do everything -- and are now starting to remove rubble.

They've even started a ferry service across a bay to save people six hours of walking.

Emotionally it is difficult, but our soldiers are making lasting friends for Canada.

This is a Third World environment, and people who've lost everything have heard of all the money raised for them in Europe and North America. They keep asking where it is, and they want it now, in cash, and don't understand why we don't give it to them.

CIDA SOMEWHERE

We've been told CIDA is here. Somewhere. They're nowhere near us, and we're in the centre of the disaster area. We suspect they're having meetings in Colombo.

I find myself wondering how much worse things would be if DART weren't here. These guys are wonderful. I know there are those who criticize the DART program, but it works and is essential right now for Sri Lanka.

Like I said, they perform miracles every day. And the people know it. When all this is over, what Sri Lankans will remember is DART, not the PM's visit for

I wish I could put a poll here to see if anyone was surprised.

Personally I am not by the PMO's actions nor...

The Canadians are based near the centre of Sri Lanka, and every day teams fan out to different areas.

As is normal with our soldiers, they do everything -- and are now starting to remove rubble.

They've even started a ferry service across a bay to save people six hours of walking.

Emotionally it is difficult, but our soldiers are making lasting friends for Canada.

This ability to do whatever, whenever, wherever, is what makes the Canadian soldier best in the world.

After slow start, DART gets job done
By COLIN FREEZE
From Friday's Globe and Mail
21 Jan 05

Kalmunai, Sri Lanka â ” Six members of the Canadian Forces sat chewing tobacco in Sri Lanka yesterday, enjoying the scenery, and one blurted: â Å“Wouldn't this make a great Tim Hortons commercial?â ?

He had a point, despite the total absence of coffee during this break. Like the television ads, the scene seemed designed to appeal to Canadian pride: A Maple Leaf fluttered above in the hot, humid air, as a huge machine drew water from a lagoon.

That machine had produced more than 50,000 litres of clean water by midday. Thirsty Sri Lankans and foreign-aid workers were lapping it up â ” and, more precisely, lining up to fill containers.

Nearby, other Canadian soldiers were removing rubble from schools and treating victims of the Boxing Day tsunamis with basic medical care. Farther away, still more soldiers ferried hundreds of local inhabitants across a channel, using pontoon boats to replace a blown-out bridge.

In short, after stumbling out of the blocks, Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team is now very much up and running.

A number of soldiers on the 200-strong DART team, which deployed two weeks ago, were stung by criticisms that surfaced early in the mission. Some military experts described DART's mission in Sri Lanka as off-the-mark from the beginning, saying the squad was too slow, too big and too expensive.

But those on the ground say they are simply focused on their job. â Å“We're just going to make sure any friggin' bacteria in there is dead,â ? said Master Corporal Bob Levesque, running one team's reverse-osmosis water purification unit.

At a cost of $750,000 each, the boxcar-sized machines (ROWPUs, as they are known) are expensive, but they are also winning praise from other aid workers in the region.

â Å“They've provided clean, clear water, so it's quite good,â ? said Christian Mascaro, an aid worker with the charity Action Contre La Faim (Action Against Hunger).

Yesterday, Mr. Mascaro distributed the water from the Canadian machines into 1,000-litre tanks, which were then placed along the main street of this devastated fishing village on the east coast. In yesterday's heat, many villagers were availing themselves of the water.

In the town of Kalmunai, Sri Lankan government forces walk the streets carrying assault rifles, passing buildings painted with Tamil Tigers graffiti. Water was getting to both factions, Mr. Mascaro said.

Hearing this bolstered the spirits of Canadian soldiers, who said they heard some Canadian media were reporting that Tamils were not receiving aid from DART.

â Å“I can't say myself that I saw the story personally,â ? said MCpl. Levesque, but he added that people should know it's not true. His colleagues readily agreed.

Four ROWPUs have been brought over by the military, but only one was operational yesterday. A second machine at the watering station had a broken filter. That unit is expected to be repaired soon.

Meanwhile, the four medical areas set up by DART have yet to see any major outbreaks of disease. Some centres have treated as many as 60 people a day since opening last week, but the plan is now to shuffle the teams to new spots to find patients who may have been overlooked.

â Å“We haven't seen a lot of outbreaks of infectious diseases; I'm surprised about that,â ? said Captain Bill Rideout, a medical doctor. â Å“There are tough kids here.â ?

Lieutenant-Colonel Mike Voith, DART's commander, said yesterday that the team is mulling over new missions. Some factions of the team are cleaning up schools, but others are looking into rebuilding docks and repairing boat motors, in order to make local fishermen self-sufficient as soon as possible.

The military will only assume such jobs if local people or non-governmental organizations cannot, Col. Voith said.

Most Canadian soldiers took some time to relax yesterday and were becoming a little nostalgic for home. Some soldiers said a glass of beer or a whisky would be nice â ” but alas, the DART squad is on a â Å“dryâ ? mission.

Some wanted to know National Football League scores from the weekend.

Others reviewed pictures of the devastation they have taken on their digital cameras and thought about how to e-mail them home.

â Å“We're trapped in here all day,â ? said Capt. Rideout, referring to the clinic where he is stationed. â Å“Hopefully I can send home a picture eventually.â ?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050120.wxlanka0121/BNStory/International/

I just find it sad that "Canada's Finest" are controlled from Ottawa by Canada's most incompetent political party.

Kudos to the troops who do more with less than anyone else in the world.

Matthew.  :salute:

Back