• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desert Boots

BinRat55 said:
Lol - and what part would that be?

The part of the Army where proper footwear can mean the difference between becoming a casualty (or at least ineffective) and winning the battle.  I'm not going to rehash the argument on feet and boots, as it's been done to death, but each foot has its own requirements.

It's also the part of the Army where the senior officers wear effective footwear and allow their soldiers to do the same.

So don't worry about us...we're doing just fine.

When a Cdn Comd RC(S) and his personal Cdn staff are wearing the Dutch desert boots, I say let's get comfortable.  Been there - done that.

Those Meindl Desert Fox boots are very very nice.

I hear ya. I had no problem getting a chit for boots, and still can't get what the big deal is. From what I've seen, real NCO's/staff don't even care on courses these days, as long as it's black!
When I was with 1PPCLI for TF108 the CO told us that he didn't care what we whore on our feet as long as they were black.I used SWAT's liked them a lot, for the price they are decent.

MikeH said:
When I was with 1PPCLI for TF108 the CO told us that he didn't care what we whore on our feet as long as they were black.I used SWAT's liked them a lot, for the price they are decent.

A most excellent misspelling  :D
I have two pairs of 511's that the Queen bought for me when I made the proper snivelling sounds.  However, I was really snivelling after I had to break them in and pretty much destroyed my heels three times.  As well  after two months they were already starting to fall apart.  Ripped lining, penetrated toe caps, breaking laces. 
I also have a pair of Danner TFX's that I will probably have a hard time not wearing around the house when I get back. 
If it is tan, and it is boot-ish, it appears to be okay.  And I agree that when the CoC wears all issued kit then maybe there might be some pressure to conform inside the wire.

Although I actually don't mind the new Boulet desert boots (I think they are a big improvement on their predecessors), I still wanted something a little lighter and more comfortable as an alternative while I am over there. I recently picked up a set of Rocky S2V 101's, which I am really happy with. They seem to be built a lot nicer than the SWAT's or the Oakleys (neither of which was I very impressed with - the Oakleys were comfy, but felt like basketball shoes).  They have a nice speedlacing system, and the newer, wrap-around Vibram sole. I think these ran a shade over $200 Cdn.

rocky225299_127882_jb.jpg

I also still have my British desert boots from when I was on exchange and took a British dive team to the Gulf, and they are fairly light and comfortable, so I will probably bring them as an alternative as well.

I'll put in a plug for Wellcos. I was given a pair before I went to Afgh by someone who bought a pair prior to his roto and left them here because he didn't like the way they fit. I figured I'd wear them and send them to Goodwill when I got back but they turned out to be one of the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, and I still wear them a few times a week - they go fine with khakis and have a low profile that doesn't look like an army boot (my work doesn't require me to blouse my trousers  ;D) Very comfortable, and they wear like iron.

aquasaurus said:
Although I actually don't mind the new Boulet desert boots (I think they are a big improvement on their predecessors), I still wanted something a little lighter and more comfortable as an alternative while I am over there. I recently picked up a set of Rocky S2V 101's, which I am really happy with. They seem to be built a lot nicer than the SWAT's or the Oakleys (neither of which was I very impressed with - the Oakleys were comfy, but felt like basketball shoes).  They have a nice speedlacing system, and the newer, wrap-around Vibram sole. I think these ran a shade over $200 Cdn.

rocky225299_127882_jb.jpg

I also still have my British desert boots from when I was on exchange and took a British dive team to the Gulf, and they are fairly light and comfortable, so I will probably bring them as an alternative as well.

Rockys - source?

aquasaurus said:
... I actually don't mind the new Boulet desert boots (I think they are a big improvement on their predecessors) ...
Are you refering to the new brown ones?

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Rockys - source?

I got them locally at a military / surplus / hiking store here in Kinsgton, but your best bet would be checking with the company and seeing if their website lists dealers in your area.

MCG said:
Are you refering to the new brown ones?

Yes, the new arid ones - I had a set of the previous ones, and it was like the insole was made of cardboard or something. It got all warped and out of shape the first time they got wet. The new ones do seem heavy though, and I haven't worn them in any really hot weather yet (I will be breaking them in over the summer in Victoria, but it doesn't get all that hot. My British ones (which are a similar style to the older Cdn arid boots) are nicer. When I was in Germany on course recently a lot of the European guys had the Meindl boots, which also seemed really good.

Infanteer said:
::)

You obviously haven't been to my part of the Army....

Or mine...... non-issue boots are nowadays, in the field army, a non-issue. I RARELY see issue boots these days, everyone buys lowas, 5.11's, SWATs or Magnums, and nothing is said. If there is anyone who seriously takes offence at this, I say, please, get a life. There are more important things to worry about. Should I ever fail to do my job because my feet are in tatters because of non-issue boots, well then charge me. But that will never happen, as like every other trained, experienced soldier, I know a good pair of boots when I wear them, and will not wear junk in the field. This is why we don't allow recruits to buy their own boots, they do not know what is good for them.

But back on topic, should any of you find yourselves in the UK on course or on holiday, I would recommend a trip to Richmond, N. Yorkshire (Northern England), makers of excellent boots in the same style as Meindl/Lowa, but considerably lighter and harderwearing, and with a number of varieties

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military.jsp

I recently picked up a set of Rocky S2V 101's, which I am really happy with. They seem to be built a lot nicer than the SWAT's or the Oakleys (neither of which was I very impressed with - the Oakleys were comfy, but felt like basketball shoes).  They have a nice speedlacing system, and the newer, wrap-around Vibram sole. I think these ran a shade over $200 Cdn.

I've been wearing Rocky S2Vs  since last fall. One word: fukinawsome.

Half the guys in my unit are wearing them, with excellent things to say both in Canada and overseas. The RSM was one of the first guys sporting a pair.

Wonderbread said:
I've been wearing Rocky S2Vs  since last fall. One word: fukinawsome.

Had mine for a yr.

I agree with your comment above and wish to add the adjective "freakingly" in front of it.

What I particularly like is the fact that a pair of Rocky SV2 weight less than 1 of the new issued boot.

Well one pair om my issued desert boots is in KAF locked away in a seacan somewhere, not to be seen till the end of tour (only brought, because I had to).  I think the other set is home in a box somewhere.

aquasaurus said:
The new ones do seem heavy though...

They weigh almost as much as my laptop.

Towards_the_gap said:
Or mine...... non-issue boots are nowadays, in the field army, a non-issue. I RARELY see issue boots these days, everyone buys lowas, 5.11's, SWATs or Magnums, and nothing is said. If there is anyone who seriously takes offence at this, I say, please, get a life. There are more important things to worry about....
http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/military.jsp

They still exist, I ran into one in KAF, a few weeks ago when I was their.  I told him I forgot them in the FOB, so he would skip the how only issued kit should be used speech (good thing my chest rig was left in the vehicle).

NL_engineer said:
They still exist, I ran into one in KAF, a few weeks ago when I was their.

Amazing. Did you hunt for this fellow for long? Most of my Flight wore non-issue boots, as did a sizeable portion of the KAF-bound CF population, and I never heard of anybody getting hassled for doing so.

Loachman said:
Amazing. Did you hunt for this fellow for long? Most of my Flight wore non-issue boots, as did a sizeable portion of the KAF-bound CF population, and I never heard of anybody getting hassled for doing so.

No, we ran into him wile in the line of an establishment that will remain unnamed.  Well when there are people in KAF that have nothing better to do it dosen't surprise me.  It was funny tho, he had buttons undone, and a gut that hung out from under his combats; and to make it better, he was using a NON-issued holster for his Hi-Power.

I should have asked you to tell the supply guys to send me your 9mm, I was told the one I was going to get went to someone in KAF that needs it more for his desk job.

Yeah, they really need to start issuing Arid pattern fleece to fight the chill. It gets cold when you are working in front of an AC all day.

If people in KAF didn't wear pistols, then it might seem like it wasn't all that dangerous.  If it isn't all that dangerous, you don't get danger pay.  So you wear a gun in order to prove how dangerous it is.  See?  War is hell, even in the suburban shopping plaza that KAF has become. 
I bet these kit heros only pick on junior NCO's as well.  The only flack I ever took was overhearing two morons standing in that same line up mentioned who seemed incensed that my arid bush cap was dead flat in the rim, like a Smokey Bear hat (which was intentional). The one clown was snickering at how new my hat looked.  Yeah, Dink.  It is new.  I usually wear this thing called a "helmet".  Ever heard of it?  ::)

Back