• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

direct entry officer... are my chances equal?

Trish

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm sorry if it was asked before, but I couldn't find through the Search motor exactly what I was looking for.  (and sorry if my spelling/grammar is not perfect, but my first (and main) language is French!  :-[ )
I'm now in the process for Public Affair Officer (Direct Entry).  I wanted to know if my chances to get in were equal to those that are already in the CF (Reserve or Regular).
While I'm here, does anyone know how many interviews I'll have to go through (in the Affair Public Officer job description, it says 'plusieurs entrevues', many interviews..)

I suspect that the "many interviews" mentioned in the job description does not apply to the application process, but is referring to the interviews you may have to do in your job as a Public Affairs Officer.

No sorry, I should have taken the whole paragraph...
''You must meet Canadian Forces medical standards and successfully complete a selection process that includes interviews and a wide range of examinations.''
In French they say ''plusieurs entrevues'', which means many interviews... 

A little more background information may be helpful.  For example what is your degree in and what experience do you have?

I have a Bachelor degree in Communication Sciences since last summer, I work as a coordinator in an advertising agency, I was at the Press relations (relations de presse) last summer for an event in Montréal that is attended by Québec's celebrity and sport's player.  While I was studying, I worked for more than 5 years in a big company that is well structured (ok, I translated that sentence from French, so I don't know if it really makes sense!).  People here talk about numbers of Direct entry officer, but I couldn't find if they were still hiring officer in Public affairs.
Thank you

Trish said:
I have a Bachelor degree in Communication Sciences since last summer, I work as a coordinator in an advertising agency, I was at the Press relations (relations de presse) last summer for an event in Montréal that is attended by Québec's celebrity and sport's player.  While I was studying, I worked for more than 5 years in a big company that is well structured (ok, I translated that sentence from French, so I don't know if it really makes sense!).  People here talk about numbers of Direct entry officer, but I couldn't find if they were still hiring officer in Public affairs.
Thank you

Hmmm, you have a slim chance as you will be going up against others with journalism degrees but you never know.  Depends on how many they need this year.  To find out if they are looking for DEO PAffOs this year and how many you will have to contact the nearest recruiting centre.

Thanks Kincanucks.
Anyway I have to call to make sure they received the paper filled from my doc, so I'll ask them about it, I didn't think they were to answer those question, most of the time they have «approximate» answers, they can never tell  anything «for sure»...  maybe I talked to the wrong person last time I had to deal with them !

Great, more approximate answers now! I called to make sure they had my papers asked at the medic test.  They sent it to Ottawa the girl told me, so they should call me in about two weeks to schedule my interview.  Then I asked her about the quota for Public Affair Officer, and she didn't know what I was talking about, so she transfered me.  The guy I then talked to told me it was closed, as well as my other two choices.  When I asked him if I was still passing my interview, he said no, unless I chose an other job/career.  I told him the other girl told me I was supposed to be called in two weeks, he didn't really know what to answer.
Why do they make go through aptitude and medical test, plus they have called the 5 persons I had on my list, if all my choices were closed??

Trish said:
Great, more approximate answers now! I called to make sure they had my papers asked at the medic test.  They sent it to Ottawa the girl told me, so they should call me in about two weeks to schedule my interview.  Then I asked her about the quota for Public Affair Officer, and she didn't know what I was talking about, so she transfered me.  The guy I then talked to told me it was closed, as well as my other two choices.  When I asked him if I was still passing my interview, he said no, unless I chose an other job/career.  I told him the other girl told me I was supposed to be called in two weeks, he didn't really know what to answer.
Why do they make go through aptitude and medical test, plus they have called the 5 persons I had on my list, if all my choices were closed??

Either they have nothing else to do or they are hoping you will change your mind and pick something that is open and they need people for.  You CFRC doesn't happen to be CFRC Montreal does it?

Trish,

You wouldn't be competing against regular force transfers.  The trade has opening for so many depending on the plan, such as direct entry, voluntary occupational transfer (officers) and NCM occupational transfer.

I know there are 16 spots for the VOT plan (working on this myself) but was only concerned with that so didn't look at the others.

Although you've got a pretty good background, a journalism degree coming in from the streets is pretty much a must.  What you could do (and I know of someone in the trade that went this way) is to join the reserves and then, after some time and experience, put in for a component transfer to the regs (sometimes they even have reserve positions).

Having some type of military background is a huge asset when applying for this trade.  That's why DEO and ROTP numbers for the trade are so low.  You have to remember that, as a PAO, you might be put in a position where you will have to brief media or advise your commanding officer and this is very hard to do well when you don't have much of a background in the military.

Thank you, you were very helpfull for my understanding.
One thing I want to make sure: the reserve would mean a part time job right?  See, I can barely take 15min out from work, I don't know how I would be able to do a part time training, and then a part time job wouldn't be enough for me I guess.  Or maybe I misunderstood the reserve part.  I look on the official website and it is not always really clear. 
I know I might not have the perfect background for that position, so I'm willing to start ''from the beginning''.

Kincanucks, how did you guess!!  Well, I'll see in two weeks if they call me back like the girl said, or if they leave me without answers!

Kincanucks, how did you guess!!

Lets just say that every time I hear of someone having an interesting time with recruiting in Quebec, CFRC Montreal comes to mind.

Trish,

Your best bet with the reserve, is to contact the unit of interest (recruiting office), ask them if the trade you are looking for is actually open for candidate, and if they they are thinking on the long-term to hire a full timer after you will have completed all your trade training.

Some units have walk-in, one evening during the week, go there to shake some hands and to get a feeling of the unit culture.

My  :2c:

Hey Trish,

I have never received a satisfying answer over the phone or the internet.
Everytime I went to the CFRC in person... I received appropriate answers, sit down with a recruiter... I did that so many times, they are there to help you.

Good luck

the_girlfirend said:
Hey Trish,

I have never received a satisfying answer over the phone or the internet.
Everytime I went to the CFRC in person... I received appropriate answers, sit down with a recruiter... I did that so many times, they are there to help you.

Good luck

Yes, going in person is always a lot more effective than on the phone. 

You girls are absolutely right, I went last Thursday. I could talk to someone and have some answers to my questions, even more!
I'm still waiting for my med to come back from Ottawa... it seems like forever, but in the meantime I can get more prepared for interview!

Back