• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

Hi all,

I want to enroll in the regular forces as an officer. Does everyone come in at the rank of 2ndLT or do some come in as a LT and higher, etc?

Kid......Didn't we more or less answer that with your first forray on this site?  Yes some people do come in as 2Lt, if they have previous mil experience.  Some may come in as Captains if they are CFR'd from the rank of CWO.  Some may come in as a Capt if they are a Lawyer or Doctor with a very high education.  Don't, however, expect to come in as anything else than an OCdt.

Hi,

I am interested in DEO entry and my age is 53.  The age limit to enter is 56; so it is possible for me to join. But  I worry about military life since I am not so young. I would appreciate it if anyone let me know any considerations or ideas about DEO entry as an old person.

Most Reg F officer occupations have a DEO Variable Initial Engagement of 9 years.  If you have very specific skills that are in high demand in the CF (medical doctor with specific specialities), you MAY be able to convince the powers that be to shorten that commitment.

As an older person myself, I find that with age there also comes increased aches and pains, medical complications, and life experience that combine to slow the process.

The only way you will find the final answer is go to the CFRC/D and talk to the staff about what you are interested in doing, and see what advise they provide.

I have an administrative question.  Necropost yes; however the keyword search used was incentive pay, DEO, specialized skills, change of strength. And, this search led me to this 2004 thread and closest match. 

Recently, I received an offer of employment over the phone and the DEO salary proposed had been determined by my university education only.  The issue is that the incentive pay category (IPC) did not sufficiently account for other work experience, skills set, and coursework that had been acquired separately for professional qualifications (Canadian Board accreditations relevant to the CF trade offered). The CF does have this information on file.  The hiring manager simply wanted confirmation that my graduate degree would be completed prior to swearing in as this would put me in IPC #… As such, salary was not definitively established at the time of the job offer.  Interestingly, the IPC quoted was still lower than has been suggested on this thread (those who have comparable education). I realize there are many factors that determine IPC however.   

I suspect that the IPC quoted will stand unless I make a case for myself.  As such, when would it be appropriate and with whom do I address the possible oversight?  It is my understanding there is a specific file manager assigned to this trade; however I’m unclear about the proper channels to follow when dealing with pay matters, especially at this juncture. To protect myself, does it make better sense to remedy pay concerns with a pay clerk (?) at CFRC or with the hiring manager prior to swearing in and before BMOQ? 

If you have more recent experiences in this context, I would appreciate some guidance on how to approach pay issues delicately and efficiently.   

Thank you in advance for your time. 

ET

Discuss the IPC issue with your file manager before you enrol and they can request a review. That being said the IPC policy has been changed so this old post might not be accurate naymore. IPC increases are usually reserved for applicants with prior CF service. Good Luck.

Hello, I am turning 32 this year. I am in excellent physical shape and am confident I can handle the training. I would enter as a DEO. I am just wondering what a guy would do after 40 in the CF? I love History and Strategic studies, policy studies and etc, so graduate school is not out of the question. I was looking at the combat arms.

The way I see it, I am at the twilight of my youth. When I spar with the younger guys at my gym I can more than keep up, so I know I'm not too old yet. But I have noticed my recovery time is slowing... Why do we have to get old!? My point is that I have always wanted to join the army, and given my age, I think this is my last chance. So I wanted to get an idea of what awaits a guy in the army after 40.

Thanks again.

I'm in the Navy after 40 and it seems pretty good.  You will get a little slower over the years.  It just means you have to hit harder!

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. ;D

My dad transferred to the Regular Force at 42, and was able to outrun some of the young guys despite being a smoker.

Your recovery time will be longer, but I bet you'll do fine.

Hello Bigg_H,

My point is that I have always wanted to join the army, and given my age, I think this is my last chance. 

I will be 40 in September and in the process of joining myself. So to say that joining at 32 is your last chance? NO ;)
The only thing is that the lastest we join the less we have access to a retirement plan because, my understanding is that we have to have at least 25 years of service in the CF and the retirement age is 60 (unless that changed in the past year).
I'm personally joining knowing that I will not have a retirement plan from the CF other than the one "I'll make for myself". However, the money for the retirement plan will be taken off our salary and give back to us when we retire from the CF (I don't know if it is given back to the fullest amount or not).
That is something that was explained to me at my recruiting center.

If you join soon enough and are lucky enough to be enrolled before you reach 35... then you'll be all good for retirement ;)

So I wanted to get an idea of what awaits a guy in the army after 40.

You'll be under the same physical and ethical rules as any other members in the CF and age doesn't change that. If the morning PT is a run of 5km, you'll run the same 5km as your other colleagues but I do agree that the older we get, the longer it is for us to recover from the effort provided.

Good luck,
Alea

You do not have to do 25 years to get a pension from the CF.  You only have to do two.  However, the number of years you serve will affect when you can collect it.  Under the new rules of the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA), you need to complete 25 years of service in order to collect an immediate annuity (i.e. on e you start collecting as soon as you retire).  If you have more than two, but less than 25 years, you can get a deferred annuity that you will have to wait until you reach retirement age to collect (but it will be waiting for you).  You may also have the option of a return of contributions, which is all the money you've paid in over the years, plus interest.  Think VERY carefully about this option as you would be hard-pressed to find something as lucrative as the deferred annuity if you were to take the money and run (and please don't go out and buy a car with it).  If you are retiring because you have reached mandatory retirement age, you get an immediate annuity regardless.

Please note that this is a very simplified overview of the CFSA.  There is much more to it than I have described, but the above description will apply to most people.

Pusser said:
Please note that this is a very simplified overview of the CFSA.  There is much more to it than I have described, but the above description will apply to most people.

The previously misinformed individual (and others) can have most questions answered by visiting the following site http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pen/reg-01/ap-ar/benefits-prestati-eng.asp .

Pusser said:
You may also have the option of a return of contributions, which is all the money you've paid in over the years, plus interest.

There is no return of contributions for people having served over 2 years.

The only caution I would add for someone joining the army "later in life" is your career path will be impeded by your age.  This means that if you have hopes of making it to the lofty rank of LCol or CWO (or beyond for offrs) the chances are slim to none.  The Army has adopted a "deep selection" programme whereby it is reaching down and plucking younger Offrs and NCOs and pushing them forward, faster.  This leaves the older members out in terms of critical career courses needed for further promotion and it reduces chances of commanding at the sub unit and unit level.  In the Army, for offrs, if you haven't reached the rank of major by late 30s you most likely won't command a sub unit, forget unit.  Same applies for older senior NCOs and taking up a position as a RSM.  Now there are exceptions but generally speaking the Army (and the Navy) are promoting younger.

Should this be a reason to put aside your plans of joining?  Not really unless your goal is to make it to CWO of the CF or Commander of the Army.  However, it should temper your expectations and provide realism to your choices.  I know too many people still hanging on and hoping for that promotion or critical staff course, only the CoC has not told them (or they didn't hear the message) that they have gone as far as they can. 

The Pension Plan has more or less the same Rules as a Defined Benefits Plan (as opposed to a defined contributions plan) at a civilian employer (although they are not seen as often as they used to): it would be the same thing as switching jobs from one employer to another.  As stated in the link, with less than 2 years pensionable service you get contributions plus interest back.  With more than 2 years it has to be transfered.  I do however know, that some pension plans are not transferable into others for various reasons (federal, provincial).  Anything over 2 years you get a pension related to pay grade and time in.

If you go Regular Force (without primary reserve experience)  after 30, I am thinking you are more or less stuck as a Captain or Sergeant.  Combat Arms is probably out too: training almost kills 18 year olds.

I am 36 and thinking of doing this as well since I have decided I am not a businessman:  Money matters work out fair enough and I am single.  Too bad I am broken for a bit.

Cheers.

If you go Regular Force (without primary reserve experience)  after 30, I am thinking you are more or less stuck as a Captain or Sergeant.  Combat Arms is probably out too: training almost kills 18 year olds.

And you based this on what?

svejk said:

Since you are not even in yourself, why dont you leave that kind of speculation to people who might actualy know what they are talking about.

CDN Aviator said:
Since you are not even in yourself, why dont you leave that kind of speculation to people who might actualy know what they are talking about.

I'm very curious... His profil says he is a Cpt (Captain) from CIC... what is CIC? ???

Alea

Cadet Instructor's Cadre. He's a Cadet Officer.

Back