• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) questions [Merged]

6 weeks does not sound like too long a time to wait.  I sat on the merit list for two months and was selected b the second merit board that looked at my file.  (August).  But by that time, I had to pass September IAP/BOTP by, and wait for January.
Sounds like only a matter of time for you, but only the recruiting centre can tell you for sure.

exsemjingo said:
6 weeks does not sound like too long a time to wait.

True ex, I should have been more clear. I was called and told I wasn't going to get an offer as it stood.

I just wanted to give you something to compare your wait to.  The rest is a mystery since I'm not in the know.

Hello, I will be graduating with an engineering degree in May of 2008.  I am seriously considering going into the DEO program after I finish school.  I would like to know the deadline to make that decision so that I can begin training as soon as possible after I graduate.  When do I need to submit my application, and if I submit it early and get accepted, can I defer until after graduation?

wow, the best answer I can give on that one is get in touch with a recruiter. They know most of the in's and outs, I'm not sure there may be one on the boards here somewhere

You should apply two to three months before you graduate and you will have to provide proof of your degree before you can be enrolled.  Of course that is if you are successful in the application process.

Hmmm... that late might make it tough to start looking for a job if I don't get accepted.  I also wasn't planning on mentioning it to family until I was definitely in.  But come Christmas time I can't just say, "uhh yeah I'm kinda waiting on this thing that might pan out for after I graduate".  Also, I don't have a lot of funds to just hang around if I finish school in May but couldn't start until August.  Maybe I should put the whole thing off for a while and get a civilian engineering job and a bit of money.  More than a year or two of working at a desk infront of a computer would drive me nuts though. 

You give up too easily.  If you have good marks, are in good shape, healthy and confident, you should have no problems getting in.  You just gave up, and you haven't even started yet.

Discussing options is giving up?  My future is all up in the air right now.  Sorry if I am using the forums to think out loud for myself. 

DanDaMan said:
Hmmm... that late might make it tough to start looking for a job if I don't get accepted.  I also wasn't planning on mentioning it to family until I was definitely in.  But come Christmas time I can't just say, "uhh yeah I'm kinda waiting on this thing that might pan out for after I graduate".  Also, I don't have a lot of funds to just hang around if I finish school in May but couldn't start until August.  Maybe I should put the whole thing off for a while and get a civilian engineering job and a bit of money.  More than a year or two of working at a desk infront of a computer would drive me nuts though. 

My interviewer told me "Live your life, We'll surprise you one of these days with a call."

I suggest if you are serious about joining the CF that you head down to your local CFRC and speak with the people there. Apply when you can and live your life as if you hadn't, except for the occasional update calls to the CFRC. When you finish school go get a job and if you are selected for a job in the CF they will give you plenty of notice to make up your mind and to give your current employers their 2 weeks notice before they ship you off to basic. I mean its not a big deal for you to find a job/career while you are in the CF selection process.

Hey Dan,

I just went through the same process, I applied at the end of September 2006 as a DEO EME. I did my interview at the end of October and got a job offer in early May, now I am going on BOTC on Aug 27. It is difficult to make it for the end of June basic because it almost requires that you submit your marks by mid April... and depending on your exam schedule, they may not be available yet.

You will have a feel of how competitive your application is when the process is done --the recruiter will tell you if your application is "highly competitive" or not. The annual intake of your desired MOC is also a good indication.... no spots means you will not have a job.

I would recommend getting everything done as soon as possible, if there are problems with your medical (for example) your application could get held up.

Apply for other jobs in the meantime, quit them or turn them down if you are set on being in the forces.

kincanucks said:
You should apply two to three months before you graduate and you will have to provide proof of your degree before you can be enrolled.  Of course that is if you are successful in the application process.

Is this also true if you are doing a CT from Pres to Reg for a different trade?

tannerthehammer said:
Is this also true if you are doing a CT from Pres to Reg for a different trade?

CT means that you are going from the Reserves into the Regular Force, or vice versa, and remaining in the same Trade.  If you are changing Trades, you are doing an Occupational Transfer.  Two entirely different things.

The CT from Res to Reg can by either in the same trade, with only a target interview, or for a different trade, with a more complete interview.  When doing a CT to a different trade, it will depend on what the different trade is, how many vacancies Recruiting is allowed to fill that year,  and how many people want that trade, as to how likely you will be able to get the trade of choice quickly. 

DanDaMan said:
Hello, I will be graduating with an engineering degree in May of 2008.  I am seriously considering going into the DEO program after I finish school.  I would like to know the deadline to make that decision so that I can begin training as soon as possible after I graduate.  When do I need to submit my application, and if I submit it early and get accepted, can I defer until after graduation?
I know how you feel on this one. Although I'm two years behind you, and still not close to being sure I want to join the military, this is something that I have thought about. I'm not the type of person who likes to start a job, have them spend money training you and count on you to help them, just to quit a  few months later. That's why the 9 year officer commitment doesn't really bother me much, I want a steady job, not to jump around when I see a bit more cash available somewhere else.  Also, if you're in the process of applying, you probably won't want to move to a new city to get a job, probably want to avoid buying a house, and just the not knowing would be a bit annoying.  Basically, even if training doesn't start for a little while, it would be nice to know one way or the other if you will have a military career or not.

But ... I guess that is not always possible. However, I think I read on the recruiting site somewhere that you are able to apply once you are in the last year of your degree. Personally, some things I hope to do in the next couple of years to improve my chances and hopefully speed up the process:
- I hope to work at the CSE for a co-op term (key word: hope, and I planned to do this even without military plans), and they grant you the top security clearance before a job offer, so that may help on the security process
- maybe a year before seeing the recruiter, I'll go to my doctor and get a physical or at least ask about maybe getting some bloodwork and basic checks (blood pressure, etc.) to get any obvious problems out of the way nice and early
- look for any leadership, volunteer, fitness, etc. activities that I could get involved with in school or anywhere else
- talk to the recruiter early (beginning of last year of university) - even if I can't complete my application, it never hurts to at least see if you can get some of it out of the way early.

That's my basic plan (I tend to plan ahead), hopefully it works out well. But I still have a few years, so time will tell what happens.

Flouf said:
Hey Dan,

I just went through the same process, I applied at the end of September 2006 as a DEO EME. I did my interview at the end of October and got a job offer in early May, now I am going on BOTC on Aug 27. It is difficult to make it for the end of June basic because it almost requires that you submit your marks by mid April... and depending on your exam schedule, they may not be available yet.
Do you mean you were still in school through this (graduated April, 2006?)? Did you manage to get your marks in time or did you have to take a later BOTC? 

Hello, I'm new to the site. I've been thinking of joining and wanted to know a few things. I already have a degree but would like to get a graduate degree. Would the CF let me do a graduate degree at RMC? Also, would I enter as a cadet or 2nd Lt? And what plan would be best? The ROTP seems like it's only for undergraduate.

Also, the job I'd like to do is not posted as a "In Demand" area on the CF site, so does that mean that they are not hiring for that position? Sorry for all the questions, just been looking for these answers and can't really find anything out.

Thanks

All of your questions can best be answered, for the most current responses, by your local recruiting centre.

I can assure you, however, that you cannot join under the ROTP program and get a post-graduate degree instead of a Bachelor's degree.  Since you already have a degree, you will be looking at DEO (Direct Entry officer) programs.  depending on your career after that, you may be eligible for post-graduate training.

CFAO 11-6 -- COMMISSIONING AND PROMOTION POLICY -OFFICERS -REGULAR FORCE

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/011-06_e.asp

9.    DEO.  A Direct Entry Officer who is a graduate of a recognized
university or of a suitable course of a recognized institute of technology
who is enrolled directly from civilian life will be enrolled in the rank of
officer cadet and commissioned in the rank of second lieutenant on
successful completion of the BOTC.  The seniority date in the rank of
second lieutenant will be the date of enrolment except that periods of
leave without pay shall only be counted as provided for in paragraphs 32
and 33 of the order and the commissioning and seniority dates shall be
adjusted by NDHQ/DPCAO accordingly.

Back