• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

tomas

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright Im 25 soon to be 26. ya my birthdays gonna hit when im in BMQ.. Ouch I know.

But what I was wondering is this. I never applied to get my licience. I went to college in Toronto.. took the Subway everywhere I had to go.  Before that I footed it everywhere like a good grunt should.. Got the legs to prove it too.. What I wanted to know is.
Do they still train you in the masterful art of driving if you dont have your licience??

Just curious as if I will be missing out on some cool stuff if I dont have it.. Or if I should write the test and what not before BMQ

I only have less than a month before it though..

you dont have to have a civilian drivers licence to drive military vehicles (although I would recommend you getting it!)  If your trade requires you to drive military vehicles, you will be trained and get your DND 404's, which is the military equivalent to the civilian drivers licence.

does that enable you to drive a civi car tho? or do you need to get one as well. not that im opposed to getting one.. just wasnt needed at the time:p

There have been some recent changes in regards to the requirments for some occupations.  Some require a G2 licence (Ontario).  I can't remember which ones they are, check with a CFRC to find out for sure.

MP 811-People who are applying for the MOC 811 need to have a G2 and an abstract with their application, this requirement has been in place for over a year now.

Thank you tomas for asking this, I too have been curious about this.

I live in northern Alberta and 'two feet and a heartbeat' everywhere, yet still don't have my class 5 (drivers) how will this affect us who don't drive, or will it? (Infantry/Engineer undecided)

Thank you in advance,

Joe.

heh, well im pretty sure if you're going in for the specific trades that require you to drive, they will teach you.

might not work for civi driving... but meh.

my dad tried to pull that one off on me when i was learning how to drive way back when, he said just enlist in the army.... then you can hammer the gears to mush and it wont be in MY car :)

I was wondering about this so ile just tag it along here.

My officer told me that once you get your 404's your civi insurance goes down? if so how much ?

also say i was going to be an infanteer would i have the opiton to or be forced to get 404s?

Can a Civi get his/her 404's ? one on my CI's at my cadet corps had his 404's but never served in the canadian army althoe he was in the british merchant marine's

thanks alot

Alex

Your DND404 does not equate to civilian drivers licence.  In other words if you only have a 404 and are driving a civilian owned vehicle and the cops pull you over, its not going to cut it.  I do not know how this applies to rental vehicles.

Civilian can have DND404's, especially a CI, he would have to drive DND vehicles.  Anyone who is employed by DND and has to drive a vehicles controlled by DND would have to have a 404.  There has been some toing and froing on whether a DND is required for staff cars/minivans/pickups.  I'm not sure of the policy now.  For a while it was if you had a civilian licence for cars you could drive them.

Maybe an MSE Op could elaborate.

alexk said:
I was wondering about this so ile just tag it along here.

My officer told me that once you get your 404's your civi insurance goes down? if so how much ?

also say i was going to be an infanteer would i have the opiton to or be forced to get 404s?

Can a Civi get his/her 404's ? one on my CI's at my cadet corps had his 404's but never served in the canadian army althoe he was in the british merchant marine's

thanks alot

Alex
My insurance didn't go down at all with my 404's, and that's with defensive drivng and safe backing on them. They won't force you to get 404's but if you take a driver's course you will get them.

My understanding for the LFC Driver Wheeled (Reserves), you must have a civilian license to take the course.  The time for for the course is compressed enough, teaching just how to drive the Army vehicles, that the instructors don't have enough time to teach someone how to drive.

From my Tn Sgt (Reg F), you need 404's to drive the civilian pattern vehicles.  To get the 404's for this, you need a civilian license and a Defensive Driving Course.

Thats what I thought.

Our last few casual CR3s have had different requirements.   Basically every six months we had to check with Tn to see what was required for their 404s.   I think the last time she did a two day DDC/SBC and wrote the DIT.   That got them 404s for staffcars/minivans/pickups as long as they had a normal drivers licence.  The one before just had to present her drivers licence.

thanks for the info. I had plannedto get my CIVI licence after boot. but  I was just wondering if they still trained you or not.. I heard from someone who knows nothing it seems that they no longer teach Driving to those who need it. Im in sig op. so chances are Ill be taught how to drive. 

Thanks for the info tho guys

Thomas

On our last Dvr Whl course, there were two people who only had their learners permit.  One of them had never driven before.  Granted, he had troubles.  However, both now have 404s and I know that the one guy for sure does not have a civi license, just his learners.

tomas

Are you already enrolled or have you received an offer yet?  If not, you might want to call a CFRC.  I know for a fact that some occuptions now require you to have a valid drivers licence, I just can't remember which ones.  This a very new change and I think Sig Op is one of those MOCs that are effected.

This a very new change and I think Sig Op is one of those MOCs that are effected.

Is that just Reg. Force, or are Reserve Sig Op's affected, too?

im already in.. sig op. no one asked about my licence so i think it doesnt apply to me:p

jonesy

I think it only applies to Reg, but check with a unit if you are applying for Reserves.

tomas

If you have already been enrolled it shouldn't apply to you.

Ya im going to BMQ on the 17th of Aug. I sign my papers on the 4th of Aug. I really cant wait.. im pretty stoked about it all

One job that I saw where you need a civi driver's license is if you want to become a fire fighter in the military, don't know if there's any more hope this helps.Peace

What is sig op?
PS - I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Back