• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver License Req

AlexSB

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if a G full license is required to become a reg force crewman or if a G2 is sufficient. I checked the forces.ca site , it was not listed, and my local recruiting center no one was available from an armour unit but an airforce recruiter told me you need a Gfull and a navy recruiter told me you dont.

AlexSB said:
I was wondering if a G full license is required to become a reg force crewman or if a G2 is sufficient. I checked the forces.ca site , it was not listed, and my local recruiting center no one was available from an armour unit but an airforce recruiter told me you need a Gfull and a navy recruiter told me you dont.

While it is encouraged to have a civilian driver's license, it will in no way qualify you to operate military vehicles.  For that you will need to earn your military license (404's); as you achieve proficiency on different vehicles the qualifications will be added to your 404's.  I can't speak with experience on the armour trade but as a Traffic Tech we operate an impressive list of vehicles and I personally know of several people who didn't have a civilian license going into their training - I work with one who still doesn't after several years - their 404's allow them to operate military vehicles within Canada.

The difficulty arises when international taskings or exercises come up.  Often we have to rent vehicles to get to and around the places we will be working at and for that we need our civilian licenses.  I mentioned that I worked with someone who still doesn't have his license...he has gotten passed over for several such taskings and exercises.  Since his lack of license prevents him from fully contributing to our unit's operations he will often get voluntold for joe jobs and general duty taskings that don't require a license. 

Bottom line is that while you don't absolutely require a full civilian driver's license for any military occupation...sometimes you do.  Don't let it stop you from applying but do take steps towards getting it.

Hmmm, get your licence suspended and your 404s get pulled.

Explain that.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:

Explain that.

Regards

I'm going to limb it and say that's more for liability reasons..........anyone??

There are some occupations that require an unrestricted provincial driver's license, Medical Technician comes to mind, I do not believe that Crewman is one of them.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I'm going to limb it and say that's more for liability reasons..........anyone??

Generally speaking, if you do something stupid enough to get your provincial drivers license suspended, it probably is a good idea to also pull your 404s, too.

Apparently, there are "Special cases". "Upon first conviction only and when in the opinion of the CO a member's suspension would jeopardize the capability of the base or unit to meet its operational tasks, the CO may request authority to have a restricted DND 404 issued permitting the member to operate a vehicle within the confines of a DND establishment for a specific task and for a specified length of time.":
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/cfa-oaf/019-14-eng.asp

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:

Explain that.

Regards

Perhaps a similar philosophy to losing points on your driver's licence for a moving violation while using a bicycle (rare, but it does happen).

Back