• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Education Requirements to become a MP or MPO

meni0n

Reaction score
Good day all,

I was browsing the DIN and found some document in SQFT's site section that states that the requirements for MPs now changed from having the 2 year diploma to just having
couple of post-secondary courses that are related to law enforcement. I'm on leave right now and can't really give the link off the top of my head, but did I misinterpret what the
document actually meant ( perhaps for reserves or for OTs ) or are the requirements going to be changing soon?

I just checked the recruiting site, nothing has changed for direct entries ref the degree/diploma (I don't how up to date the site is) but I know of a fellow that wants to re-muster and he was told by the BPSO to get a few law enforcement courses under his belt, not necessarily a whole diploma. Maybe it's just for the re-musters, I'll ask around.

Civilian and CT applicants need a two-year related diploma.
OT or former MP applicants need Gr 12 and at least two college/university (full credit) in Police related courses (i.e., in Psychology, Sociology or Criminology).

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. Do OTs go thru the whole MPAC like direct entries or is the process different?

At the MPAC I was at, there were OT's there who had to go through the same thing as civi's coming in off the street and had various related courses, not specifically police foundations.  The only difference is that they dont have to do basic training and go directly to CFMPA upon commencement of their course. 

So this right here from the recruiting site is incorrect, or is it strictly case by case basis? (emphasis)

The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP. Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency.

But then again doesn't the recruiting site also say that BMQ and SQ are still 10 weeks long, even though BMQ is now 11 weeks, [13 weeks], and SQ is also 6 weeks long. They don't seem to really update much of their information, however they did update their video's which is good.

i believe i heared that starting in september they we're eliminating SQ entirely and simply putting all the info into a 16 week(i believe) "basic" course? anyone else heared this?

Just to update this thread and bring it back to the top with some new information.

I am graduating in May from a 52 week, 1 year condensed program. Offered at Trillium College in Cobourg, and as I was advised by CFRC Toronto this morning, it is on the list of accepted schools, the CF recognizes to be considered for Military Police Trade.

Check out 1 year programs, they may be a quick way to get the diploma. More expensive? Yes, is the schooling the same as a career college? No. Some not all, of the Private Career College schools are right out of a textbook, and are a bit dry. You read and write exams for 52 weeks. I was lucky, my instructor is a retired OPP Sgt. of 34 years, and has plenty to offer regarding training, instruction, and stories. Feed it to me wit a fire hose.

The Recruiters maintain a list of approved colleges that are accepted, if it is not in the list, it's not accepted. Makes sense.

kincanucks said:
Civilian and CT applicants need a two-year related diploma.
OT or former MP applicants need Gr 12 and at least two college/university (full credit) in Police related courses (i.e., in Psychology, Sociology or Criminology).

You know what I find funny about the term "police related courses" is that pretty much anything you would take could be police related in one way or another...I'm a Labour Studies/History major and I also have a PF diploma and I could easily see how my labour studies, history, biology or philosophy courses could be "police related".

tannerthehammer said:
You know what I find funny about the term "police related courses" is that pretty much anything you would take could be police related in one way or another...I'm a Labour Studies/History major and I also have a PF diploma and I could easily see how my labour studies, history, biology or philosophy courses could be "police related".

Amazing.

And thanks to Kincanuks for steering me in the right direction, and advised that the CFRC's maintain list's of approved schools by name. So check with the Recruiting center and make sure the 1 year program you take, is approved, and will get you a ticket to get on the bus.

I take no credit for for finding out about the private career colleges. Thats Kincanuks credit.

"Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency. "

Can anybody shed some light on what is ment by the staement above? What work experience are they looking for, obviously security or law enforcment related. But are they looking for ex municiple, rcmp or corrections employee's? I am currently a BC Corrections Officer. Thanks guys.

riggs said:
"Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency. "

Can anybody shed some light on what is ment by the staement above? What work experience are they looking for, obviously security or law enforcment related. But are they looking for ex municiple, rcmp or corrections employee's? I am currently a BC Corrections Officer. Thanks guys.

Police related.

Hi,

I'm on my way to earn my police science diploma (police tech.) here in my CEGEP in Quebec. I got experience (2 1/2 years) as a combat engineer in the reserve. Could I apply to the military police (Reg F)?

Secondly, would I have to do the BMQ/SQ again?

agadou said:
Hi,

I'm on my way to earn my police science diploma (police tech.) here in my CEGEP in Quebec. I got experience (2 1/2 years) as a combat engineer in the reserve. Could I apply to the military police (Reg F)?

Secondly, would I have to do the BMQ/SQ again?

Check at the CFRC/D but I don't think that diploma is good enough and as for the the BMQ/SQ probably not but again check with the CFRC/D.

It's the same thing as college, it's even better... It's a 3 years program.

Back