• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altair said:
The media is a equal opportunity hitter though.

The gomery commission was prime time television and the quebec Qing of the liberal party still hasn't fully recovered from it.

While it's true that there is a bit of media bias, the media usually turns its guns on whoever is in power at the time. Just happens to be the conservatives for the last 9 years.

I wouldn't be choked if it was a bit of media bias, I see it as a full on deceptive assault, and in the CBC's case, job protection.  And that is 9 years with most of those years hampered with minorities and piss poor opposition parties. And those 9 years gave us pretty good governance considering.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not a Stephen Harper supporter, I wish he would have taken a long walk in the snow.  However, his party is far and away much better than the other alternatives, especially when we have to deal with the upcoming economic concerns.  Of course this is just my opinion based on observing all of these politicians and their respective parties over the last 40 to 50 years.

Harrigan said:
Perhaps if the government would provide credible answers to the questions, they might stop asking them.  But they don't.  As many polls have shown, Canadians don't believe the party line that there is 'nothing to see here'.  If they want to stop the questions, they need to provide the answers.  Wishing it away or crying that 'it's not fair' doesn't cut it.

So the Liberals only reduced the debt by $20B in their 13 years, but we should reward a party that has increased it by $145B in the last 9 years?  If, as recceguy suggests, we should only be considering a party's past record, who do you think is going to win that comparison?

Harrigan

I'm actually getting a bit tired of "fun with numbers."  :brickwall:  Look at the financial cycles (they were, essentially, the same for Canada, albeit somewhat less extreme in both ups and downs):

gra4-A.jpg

Prime Minister Chrétien came to power at the bottom of the cycle which bedevilled Prime Minister Mulroney in his second term and he (Chrétien) rode it (one of the biggest expansions in history) all the way to the end, when he handed over to Martin and Martin lost to Harper.

Many people, including many reputable economists, believe that Chrétien/Martin could have and should have done better (everyone acknowledges that they did well) by cutting more and more and more off the national debt while the economy was expanding. Prime Minister Harper, in a minority situation, inherited a (too) large national debt and then faced the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession and then, on top of all that, the opposition Liberals and NDP demanded high stimulus spending, which created deficits and even higher debt, in return for parliamentary confidence.

Context matters:
real-estate-statistics.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm actually getting a bit tired of "fun with numbers."  :brickwall:  Look at the financial cycles (they were, essentially, the same for Canada, albeit somewhat less extreme in both ups and downs):

gra4-A.jpg

Prime Minister Chrétien came to power at the bottom of the cycle which bedevilled Prime Minister Mulroney in his second term and he (Chrétien) rode it (one of the biggest expansions in history) all the way to the end, when he handed over to Martin and Martin lost to Harper.

Many people, including many reputable economists, believe that Chrétien/Martin could have and should have done better (everyone acknowledges that they did well) by cutting more and more and more off the national debt while the economy was expanding. Prime Minister Harper, in a minority situation, inherited a (too) large national debt and then faced the 2008 financial crisis and the Great Recession and then, on top of all that, the opposition Liberals and NDP demanded high stimulus spending, which created deficits and even higher debt, in return for parliamentary confidence.

Context matters:
real-estate-statistics.jpg

Again the claim that everything bad is the fault of 'something else'.

I am not an economist, but based on the graph you are showing, I note a few things:
1.  The business cycle at the beginning and end of the Chretien/Martin years is more or less the same
2.  The business cycle at the beginning and end of the Harper years is more or less the same
3.  The business cycle is defined as capturing fluctuations in real GDP
4.  The financial cycle is defined as including housing prices, which have not been decreasing across most of Canada during the Harper years
5.  This graph also doesn't show the last two years, when presumably the US figures would show an increase, and yet Canada is entering a recession

I know that not all of these issues are Harper's fault, but the CPC is claiming that they would obviously be better than any of the opposition parties on the economy.  The only way that claim would make any sense at all is if one compares against hypothetical "....the NDP or Liberals would do X if they had been in..." comparisons - in other words, a strawman argument.

In my opinion, the CPC has been OK on the economy, with one glaring exception....the GST cut.  If the govt had taken that 2% and resisted the urge to spend it on more boutique tax credits or some other such foolishness, how much less of a debt hole would the country have been in?  According to the National Post, each percentage of GST equates to $7B in revenues.  Granted, that figure is not fixed, but if we use that for planning purposes, that is $63B for the 9 years of the cut to 6%, and another $28B for the 4 years of the cut to 5%.  That means $91B that 'could' have gone to the debt, reducing the increase over the term to only $54B.  That would be a pretty good result considering the recession, and the CPC would have good reason to tout their economic prowess. 

But alas, that too is a strawman argument, because the govt didn't keep the GST at the same level, and that choice resulted in an national debt increase of $145B (and the associated interest payments) instead of $54B. 

So feel free to blame everyone else for the increase in the debt (as many posters on here do), but two/thirds of that is directly related to a policy choice the govt made, and they can't blame anyone else for that.  (correction: they can, but not with any credibility)

(Of note - I also blame the opposition parties for not voting against it in 2006, though at the time the folly of the decision was not obvious.  By 2011, though, when the recession had been obvious for some time the decision (by the now majority govt) to lower it even more is simply incomprehensible.

Harrigan said:
But alas, that too is a strawman argument, because the govt didn't keep the GST at the same level, and that choice resulted in an national debt increase of $145B (and the associated interest payments) instead of $54B. 

I always think of this when I think about how narrowminded the average person can be. A 2% decrease in the GST doesn't significantly affect anyone... except for the government. But it makes a great campaign promise!

Just my  :2c:!

Harrigan said:
Again the claim that everything bad is the fault of 'something else'.

I am not an economist, but based on the graph you are showing, I note a few things:

Fine, but John Maynard Keynes, the guru of many macroeconomic analysts, really set things out pretty simply:

1. The economy goes in cycles: up and down;

2. The "downs" produce considerable social hardship which governments can (and should, in his opinion) help to alleviate ~ not prevent or "cure," just alleviate, somewhat;

3. The "ups" produce excess revenues, all other things ~ like taxes ~ being equal; and

4. All debts must be repaid when due.

Keynesian economics suggests, therefore, that when the economy is on a downward trajectory (depression or recession) governments should spend to create jobs (put money in consumers' pockets) and stimulate "demand," which will, in the normal course of events stimulate "supply" which will create even more jobs and so on. BUT, and this is the part with which too many politicians and almost all laymen never bother, when the economy swings back "up" again governments need to switch off their stimulus spending and use their revenue to lower debt back to acceptable levels. (There's a HUGE range of "acceptable" amongst economists: many (most?) says 20% to about 35% is OK, some say 50% is still fine, a few (very few?) allow that even 75% is OK when coming out of a recession.)

That second part of Keynesian economics is the problem.

First: social spending (transfers to individuals) is very, very hard (nearly impossible, politically) to "turn off," so, therefore, social spending ought never to be a part of stimulus spending. This is a message that, it appears to me, is lost to 99% of NDPers, 85% of Liberals and 50% of Conservatives. But it is a critical message: you can only spend, on soocial programnme, that which you can afford almost forever, in good times and bad.

Second: the programmes which can, sensibly, qualify for stimulus will, of necessity, leave out the poorest of the poor and those most in need. The programmes which do qualify, in general, are "public works" (buildings, roads, bridges, airports, etc, public blunders and wonders is what we used to call the work of the old (1950s and 60s) Department of Public Works) and the acceptable projects ~ those that can be switched "on" and then "off," again, are generally construction and maintenance. Not even all "public works" are really acceptable, to many economists, if, as Canadians tend to do, we stretch the definition to include e.g. hockey arenas. Thus, there are limits to what a sensible stimulus programme ought to include and the tighter those limits the fewer people the government "helps."

But ~ there are always "buts," aren't there?  :nod: ~ Canadians have come to expect, a holdover from the 1970s, I think, that they are entitled to and that governments can provide something akin to a cradle to grave guaranteed annual income. Canadians expectations, more than economic theory, drive politics.

So, in the sustained "up" period (about 1994 to 2007) many economists ~ not all, to be sure ~ believe that Prime Minister Chrétien ought to have, aggressively, paid down debt and, essentially, capped social spending. In fact he did the opposite ~ as most politicians of all parties usually do. Those same economists believe that, in 2008-2011, Prime Minister Harper spent too much on stimulus and adopted, in fairness to him, under pressure from the LPC and NDP, too broad a definition of "acceptable" projects. Now, there are some perfectly good economists Jim Stanford, of Unifor, for example, who would disagree vehemently with what I said above ... there's an old joke about leaving two economists in a room and getting three opinions when they come out:

business-commerce-economic_forecast-summit-business_news-business_reports-panels-aban1441_low.jpg

Edit: typos

Lumber said:
I always think of this when I think about how narrowminded the average person can be. A 2% decrease in the GST doesn't significantly affect anyone... except for the government. But it makes a great campaign promise!

Just my  :2c:!

"Except for the government" ... and future governments.

Canadians still hate the HST/GST ~ partially, I think, because it is highly visible: you see something for $9.95 ~ "Oh," you think to yourself, "ten bucks," but when you get to the cashier it is, of course, $11.25 and you inwardly curse Brian Mulroney.

The purposes in cutting the HST/GST were:

1. Immediate political advantage; and, more importantly

2. To constrain all future governments; to make it harder to spend on, unstated but especially, new, lavish social programmes.

It may well be that a future NDP (or even Liberal) government will add 1 or 2 or even 3% back on to the HST/GST, but some (many?) political pundits are betting that they will pay a real price at the polls for doing so.

E.R. Campbell said:
Fine, but John Maynard Keynes, the guru of many macroeconomic analysts really set things out pretty simply:

1. The economy goes in cycles: ups and down;

2. The "downs" produce considerable social hardship which governments can (and should, in his opinion) help to alleviate ~ not prevent or "cure," just alleviate, somewhat;

3. The "ups" produce excess revenues, all other things ~ like taxes ~ being equal; and

4. All debts must be repaid when due.

Keynesian economics suggests, therefore, that when the economy is on a downward trajectory (depression or recession) governments should spend to create jobs (put money in consumers' pockets) and stimulate "demand," which will, in the normal course of events stimulate "supply" which will create even more jobs and so on. BUT, and this is the part with which too many politicians and almost all laymen never bother, when the economy swings back "up" again governments need to switch off their stimulus spending and use their revenue to lower debt back to acceptable levels. (There's a HUGE range of "acceptable" amongst economists: many (most?) says 20% to about 35% is OK, some say 50% is still fine, a few (very few?) allow that even 75% is OK when coming out of a recession.)

That second part of Keynesian economics is the problem.

First: social spending (transfers to individuals) is very, very hard (nearly impossible, politically) to "turn off," so, therefore, social spending ought never to be a part of stimulus spending. This is a message that, it appears to me, is lost to 99% of NDPers, 85% of Liberals and 50% of Conservatives. But it is a critical message: you can only spend, on soocial programnme, that which you can afford almost forever, in good times and bad.

Second: the programmes which can, sensibly, qualify for stimulus will, of necessity, leave out the poorest of the poor and those most in need. The programmes which do qualify, in general, are "public works" (buildings, roads, bridges, airports, etc, public blunders and wonders is what we used to call the work of the old (1950s and 60s) Department of Public Works) and the acceptable projects ~ those that can be switched "on" and then "off," again, are generally construction and maintenance. Not even all "public works" are really acceptable, to many economists, if, as Canadians tend to do, we stretch the definition to include e.g. hockey arenas. Thus, there are limits to what a sensible stimulus programme ought to include and the tighter those limits the fewer people the government "helps."

But ~ there are always "buts," aren't there?  :nod: ~ Canadians have come to expect, a holdover from the 1970s, I think, that they are entitled to and that governments can provide something akin to a cradle to grave guaranteed annual income. Canadians expectations, more than economic theory, drive politics.

So, in the sustained "up" period (about 1994 to 2007) many economists ~ not all, to be sure ~ believe that Prime Minister Chrétien ought to have, aggressively, paid down debt and, essentially, capped social spending. In fact he did the opposite ~ as most politicians of all parties usually do. Those same economists believe that, in 2008-2011, Prime Minister Harper spent too much on stimulus and adopted, in fairness to him, under pressure from the LPC and NDP, too broad a definition of "acceptable" projects. Now, there are some perfectly good economists Jim Stanford, of Unifor, for example, who would disagree vehemently with what I said above ... there's an old joke about leaving two economists in a room and getting three opinions when they come out:

business-commerce-economic_forecast-summit-business_news-business_reports-panels-aban1441_low.jpg

I don't disagree with this post, (and note that the GST is not mentioned in it at all.)  But the argument the CPC uses against the opposition parties is that the CPC is so much better than them on the economy, and there really isn't any evidence to back that up.

E.R. Campbell said:
"Except for the government" ... and future governments.

Canadians still hate the HST/GST ~ partially, I think, because it is highly visible: you see something for $9.95 ~ "Oh," you think to yourself, "ten bucks," but when you get to the cashier it is, of course, $11.25 and you inwardly curse Brian Mulroney.

The purposes in cutting the HST/GST were:

1. Immediate political advantage; and, more importantly

2. To constrain all future governments; to make it harder to spend on, unstated but especially, new, lavish social programmes.

It may well be that a future NDP (or even Liberal) government will add 1 or 2 or even 3% back on to the HST/GST, but some (many?) political pundits are betting that they will pay a real price at the polls for doing so.

Ay, there's the rub.  "Constraining all future governments" doesn't just apply to monies that one might want to spend on 'new, lavish social programmes'.  It applies to all monies, those used for softening the blow of recessions, for purchasing overdue military equipment, for policing, for infrastructure, for research and development, and for disaster relief operations.  If "The Big One" were to hit on October 20th and we had a disaster on the scale of the Japanese Tsunami or Nepalese Earthquake, would the country go broke?  (Is hope a COA?)

So, the fundamental question that one needs to ask ones self concerning the CPC economic policy - is it in the national interest, or in the CPC Party interest?

Harrigan said:
So, the fundamental question that one needs to ask ones self concerning the CPC economic policy - is it in the national interest, or in the CPC Party interest?

Are the two mutually exclusive? What is the definition of the "national" interest. If the CPC presents an economic platform that appeals to the most Canadians, and they get elected as a result, have they not presented a "national" policy? Is the "national" interest what the majority (or, lets be honest here, a plurality) of Canadians want, or is the "national" interest what an objective observer would say is the "best for Canada"?

You can apply this quesiton just about any problem/issue. People will say "the Politicians are only doing this/that in order to get elected." Well... yes; duh! But if they get elected by giving people what they want, isn't that what they are there for? (i'm excluding the cases where politicians just lie and don't deliver on their promises).

Harrigan said:
Ay, there's the rub.  "Constraining all future governments" doesn't just apply to monies that one might want to spend on 'new, lavish social programmes'.  It applies to all monies, those used for softening the blow of recessions, for purchasing overdue military equipment, for policing, for infrastructure, for research and development, and for disaster relief operations.  If "The Big One" were to hit on October 20th and we had a disaster on the scale of the Japanese Tsunami or Nepalese Earthquake, would the country go broke?  (Is hope a COA?)

That is a purely philosophical question ~ I say that because Canada has good enough credit (better than most countries, including the USA, thanks to King, St Laurent, Pearson, Diefenbaker, Mulroney, Chrétien and Harper (and John Turner and Paul Martin, too, as finance ministers)) so, should there be a HUGE disaster we would have no problem borrowing whatever is necessary to finance a recovery. "Hope" doesn't have to be a COA; seven of Canada's last 12 prime ministers left a good enough fiscal legacy to allow us ready access to credit.

Some economists and other observers will say it, constraining governments' abilities to spend, is very much in the national interest because politicians cannot be trusted to act in that manner. Others will say that it is wrong headed because we need to move, steadily, towards a Marxist model: social equality or equality of outcomes ~ from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. Me? I'm an old fashioned utilitarian (Betham and Mill) ~ the greatest good for the greatest number ~ so I tend to say that smaller, less intrusive and less active government is better for most of us most of the time.

OK, here, in this article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisoions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is the sixty-four dollar question:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/why-is-fiscal-policy-being-ignored/article26097770/
gam-masthead.png

Why is fiscal policy being ignored?

KEVIN LYNCH
Contributed to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015

Kevin Lynch is vice-chair, BMO Financial Group, the former clerk of the Privy Council and a former deputy minister of Finance.

Ottawa, we have a policy mix problem.

Growth in the Canadian economy screeched to a halt in the first half of this year, not surprisingly given the precipitous drop in world oil prices. But missed in the hoopla around when a recession is really a recession is that trend growth in Canada has been soft for some time now, masked by the boom in the energy sector and a frothy housing market. In short, as challenging as current conditions are, the longer term drivers of Canadian growth – increases in productivity and the labour force – are slowing and, with them, our future economic prospects.

So, how well are we deploying the mix of monetary, fiscal and structural policies in a co-ordinated fashion to deal with these twin growth challenges?

It is not a complicated judgment. Despite the continuing tremors from the global energy price shock that have sent official forecasts for growth this year tumbling from 2.6 per cent in the government’s fall fiscal update, to 1.1 per cent in the Bank of Canada’s July monetary report, the response has been to make adjustments to monetary policy. In fact, discretionary fiscal policy has actually been contractionary, as the government continued to reduce spending to eliminate the deficit despite the major changes in economic circumstances.

The Bank of Canada has lowered its overnight policy rate twice this year, by a total of 50 basis points. While signalling its concern about weakness in Canada’s growth prospects, it is difficult to expect that, with short-term treasury bill rates averaging below 1 per cent for more than six years now, the most recent decline will appreciably stir business investment – although it may stimulate already strong housing demand. While the lower dollar will help expand net exports, a flexible exchange is a shorter term shock absorber not a longer term engine of growth. And with respect to slowing trend growth, monetary policy is not a solution to structural growth problems and, if anything, embedding unnaturally low real interest rates in the economy longer term may create ongoing distortions.

This raises the inevitable question: Why is fiscal policy sitting on the sidelines? Sure, we ran up federal government debt hugely during the financial crisis, but so did most other nations, and our deficit-to-GDP and net debt-to-GDP ratios both remain below all other G7 countries. Lowering the net debt-to-GDP ratio, which is a reasonable policy objective given its rise as a result of fiscal actions during the financial crisis, does not require a balanced budget, only that debt grows less quickly than nominal GDP. And this underscores the nexus between fiscal stability and economic growth –it is much harder to sustain fiscal balance in an economy where trend growth is slowing, and vice versa.

Where does this take us? Simply put, it is time to engage fiscal policy to provide demand support to the economy in a way that also raises our competitiveness, to complement this with structural policies to improve both productivity and labour force growth, and to rely less on unsustainably low interest rates.

One obvious fiscal measure that would meet these criteria would be a longer term program of strategic infrastructure investment by the federal government, with transparent criteria to distinguish economically strategic investments from politically opportune spending. Borrowing at low interest rates makes such investments attractive now; longer term, a dedicated revenue source could be considered. Since provinces share the same concerns about slowing growth and weakening productivity, there would be tremendous scope for alignment and partnerships. And opportunities might also exist with our large pension funds who are continually seeking suitable long term assets to invest in.

Such strategic infrastructure investments would likely include transportation systems, ports, public transit, and basic research to name a few core areas that would raise both private sector productivity and improve national competitiveness. And the more these investments were complemented by structural policies, the greater the impact on our longer term growth and living standards.

It’s time to stir up the policy mix.

Let's take Mr Lynch's points, one by one:

Growth in the Canadian economy screeched to a halt [and] the longer term drivers of Canadian growth – increases in productivity and the labour force – are slowing and, with them, our future economic prospects.
    So, how well are we deploying the mix of monetary, fiscal and structural policies in a co-ordinated fashion to deal with these twin growth challenges?

He answers by noting that while the Bank of Canada has adjusted monetary policy, the Government of Canada's fiscal policies have been stagnant.

Why is fiscal policy sitting on the sidelines? Sure, we ran up federal government debt hugely during the financial crisis, but so did most other nations, and our deficit-to-GDP and net debt-to-GDP ratios both remain below all other G7 countries.
    Lowering the net debt-to-GDP ratio, which is a reasonable policy objective given its rise as a result of fiscal actions during the financial crisis, does not require a balanced budget, only that debt grows less quickly than nominal GDP.
    And this underscores the nexus between fiscal stability and economic growth –it is much harder to sustain fiscal balance in an economy where trend growth is slowing, and vice versa.

Fiscal policy is "sitting on the sidelines" because the Conservatives, responding to public fears and hopes has become a "one trick pony:" balance the budget ... period.

Where does this take us?

Mr Lynch answers his own question: "Simply put, it is time to engage fiscal policy to provide demand support to the economy in a way that also raises our competitiveness, to complement this with structural policies to improve both productivity
    and labour force growth, and to rely less on unsustainably low interest rates."
Then he goes on to suggest that: One obvious fiscal measure that would meet these criteria would be a longer term program of strategic infrastructure
    investment by the federal government, with transparent criteria to distinguish economically strategic investments from politically opportune spending. Borrowing at low interest rates makes such investments attractive now;
    longer term, a dedicated revenue source could be considered. Since provinces share the same concerns about slowing growth and weakening productivity, there would be tremendous scope for alignment and partnerships. And opportunities
    might also exist with our large pension funds who are continually seeking suitable long term assets to invest in.

Such strategic infrastructure investments would likely include transportation systems, ports, public transit, and basic research to name a few core areas that would raise both private sector productivity and improve national competitiveness.
    And the more these investments were complemented by structural policies, the greater the impact on our longer term growth and living standards."

This is very much the same as what people like Don Drummond have recommended: borrow now ~ long term bonds, even if it means running a deficit, while interest rates are at historic lows (while money is cheap), to finance equally long term and necessary infrttsructure maintenance, renewal and creation. "Necessary" infrastructure includes, as Mr Lynch says, transportation systems, ports, public transit, and basic research. It does not include new hockey arenas or football field or academic research into cross dressing in 16th century France.

We all need to ask our candidates that simple question: Why is fiscal policy being ignored? I will ask my CPC candidate, Damian Konstantinakos and I will also ask the likely winner, Paul Dewar of the NDP.* I would recommend that you do the same, and if their answer differs markedly from Mr Lynch's then you should vote for someone else.

_____
* I will not be overly disappointed when Mr Dewar wins Ottawa Centre for the NDP. Although he and I disagree on many policy issues, I like him, as a person, and I find him to be an excellent constituency MP and a very good foreign affairs critic. He's smart (intelligent, too), committed, thoughtful, hard working and, in general, a nice guy with whom to share a pint.

E.R. Campbell said:
We all need to ask our candidates that simple question: Why is fiscal policy being ignored? I will ask my CPC candidate, Damian Konstantinakos and I will also ask the likely winner, Paul Dewar of the NDP.* I would recommend that you do the same, and if their answer differs markedly from Mr Lynch's then you should vote for someone else.

_____
* I will not be overly disappointed when Mr Dewar wins Ottawa Centre for the NDP. Although he and I disagree on many policy issues, I like him, as a person, and I find him to be an excellent constituency MP and a very good foreign affairs critic. He's smart (intelligent, too), committed, thoughtful, hard working and, in general, a nice guy with whom to share a pint.

And here, in  a Canadian Press story posted on National Newswatch is why parties are refusing to deal with fiscal policy: they are ALL afraid of the deficit monster, and they all have been since, in response, largely, to a Wall Street Journal quip (1995) about the northern peso, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien made the deficit public enemy #1 and vowed to slay the deficit dragon, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum. The problem that faced Prime Minister Chrétien was that his predecessor, Prime Minister Mulroney, had, already, balanced the operating budget, but Canada still needed to run deficits because we had to borrow billions, tens of billions, every year to pay the interest on the debts that Prime Minister Trudeau ran up on social programmes with which Prime Minister Mulroney was afraid to tamper, as were and are his successors. Prime Minister Chrétien planted in Canadians' minds the notion that balanced budgets are the only good budgets. Most Canadians believe that because it squares with what their own, personal and household finances tell them: overspending and borrowing will get you into trouble. But we, most of us, recognize that some borrowing (our mortgages, for example) can be good, too, if we borrow to buy an asset (our house) that appreciates in value more than the cost of borrowing. It should be possible for politicians to explain long term borrowing to maintain and build equally long term, necessary, beneficial infrastructure. It might be except that Prime Minister Harper has staked out the "moral high ground" of a balanced budget and none of the leaders, including Harper, himself, want to debate debts, now.

As Kim Campbell said, just before Jean Chrétien, Gilles Duceppe and Preston Manning destroyed the old Progressive Party in the 1993 election, discussing a complete overhaul of Canada's social policies in all their complexities could not be done in just 47 days; this statement was reduced to her having stated that an election is no time to discuss important issues. She might well have been right, but the lesson politicians learned was that she failed.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is an entertaining article advocating strategic voting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/how-a-few-spoiler-seats-could-topple-the-tories/article26115657/
gam-masthead.png

How a few ‘spoiler’ seats could topple the Conservatives

HENRY MINTZBERG
Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015

Henry Mintzberg is Cleghorn Professor of Management Studies at McGill University and the author of Rebalancing Society (2015)

This is written on behalf of Canada’s silenced majority – those of us who care deeply about our country but have been shut out by a government of micromanaged dogma. We consider Canada to be a nation of decency and balance, but for years we have been getting nastiness and bullying, alongside disrespect for basic democratic institutions.

This can end if the decent leaders of the two opposition parties act decently in this election, for the sake of country beyond party. This will require no coalition (one of those words bullied into submission). The Liberals and the NDP need only limit their efforts in those ridings where they are bound to lose, but by running vigorously, could again spoil victory of the other party.

I analyzed these “spoiler ridings” of the last election. I counted 18 where the Liberals ran well ahead of the NDP and would likely have won had the NDP limited its campaign, and another seven where the NDP would likely have won. For example, in Madawaska-Restigouche, N.B., the Conservative won with 40.7 per cent of the vote. The Liberal had 35.2 per cent; the NDP 18.6 per cent. Just more than a 5-per-cent swing from the NDP would have done it for the Liberals.

In Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., the Conservative won with 41.4 per cent of the vote; the NDP lost with 37.3 per cent, and the Liberal had 18.8 per cent. One Liberal voter in four could have swung this riding the other way.

In some other spoiler ridings, barely 1 per cent separated the winner from the loser (for example, Mississauga East-Cookville, where the Conservative won with 39.9 per cent, followed by the Liberal with 38.4 per cent and the NDP with 19 per cent).

The Conservative majority was 12 seats in the last election. A shift of seven seats would have denied them that majority, and a few more, perhaps the capacity to govern at all. We might even have ended up with one of those dastardly coalitions – as exist in Germany and other primitive countries.

It’s not very complicated. Sure, there are new ridings and redistributions in some older ones. Sure voters can go any which way. But these figures are rather telling, especially with a Conservative party that is likely to come in well below its vote count of last time. Indeed, with the Liberals running closer to the NDP this time, the likelihood of such spoiling is increased.

An opposition party is supposed to oppose the government, not some other party. Why play the Harper game, to his advantage? A tacit understanding that each party reduce its efforts in even seven ridings could make a major difference in this election, with neither party risking the loss of a single seat. Indeed, both would significantly increase their chances of governing, maybe even – cover your eyes – together.

However much Tom Mulcair and Justin Trudeau magnify whatever differences do exist between them, these are small compared with their differences with Stephen Harper. The Red Tories are gone, as is the Progressive in Conservative, while both opposition parties are now moderate, and very much in the mainstream of traditional Canadian politics.

I want my country back, and so too, I suspect, do a large majority of Canadians. Politics being politics, I am not holding my breath about such an arrangement, however tacit. But maybe, just this once, there can be consideration for country over party. Otherwise we voters will have to do this for ourselves, bearing in mind that a vote for an opposition candidate who is bound to lose can amount to a vote for another Conservative government.

It’s actually rather simple: have a look at votetogether.ca to see if yours could be one of those spoiler ridings, and vote accordingly.

Once again, I was, momentarily, tempted to stick this in the On the lighter side [of politics] thread, but Prof Mintzberg is very serious (and I suspect he takes himself very seriously, too) as illustrated by his plaintiff cry that he wants his country back and he asks the LPC and NDP to put country (his view of the country, anyway) ahead of party ...  :rofl:  The Liberal Party of Canada? He wants the LPC to put anything ahead of the party's constant search for power? Really?  :facepalm:

I'm no fan of Andrew Coyne, but I think he nails it here:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-if-the-duffy-affair-was-no-big-deal-why-all-the-effort-to-hide-it

That both men would rely on such improbabilities to remove themselves from the affair — Wright at least has not claimed to have written the cheque while sleepwalking — would seem at odds with the line taken by the government’s defenders, in the media and online: namely, that this is all a lot of hoo-haw over nothing. And indeed you could make that case. The sum involved, $90,000, is not large, in a government that spends upwards of $250 billion annually. The efforts of Wright and others were directed at putting money back into the treasury, not taking it out. Other parties have been guilty of much worse. All very true.

But if there’s no scandal here, then why is everyone connected with the government acting as if there is? That would include, among others, Stephen Harper. The line he has maintained since a week after the story first broke — that is, after a week of praising Wright as a dedicated public servant — is not that this is all a big yawn, or even an honest error, but a shocking breach of trust. Not only did he not know, he has hotly insisted throughout, but he would have put a stop to it if he had. At times he has even claimed that Wright “deceived” him.

If the matter of Duffy’s expenses were no big deal — at worst, a case of an errant senator, and besides, the rules were unclear — it would seem hard to explain why a dozen or more senior officials in the Prime Minister’s Office and the Senate spent three months fussing and fretting over it.

Maybe, just maybe, M Trudeau is going to address fiscal policy, if insideHALTON.com has it right.

The article says, "The Liberal leader's infrastructure policy, to be unveiled Thursday in Oakville, Ont., is expected to include significant new funding for:

— Public transit and transportation;

— Affordable housing;

— Helping communities adapt to climate change, which has been blamed for billions in damage from flooding, wildfires and hailstorms.

Trudeau's infrastructure announcement goes hand in hand with his refusal to commit to immediately balancing the federal budget, should he win the Oct. 19 election.

And it's a big part of Trudeau's attempt to position the Liberals as the only party willing to run short-term deficits to goose the stagnant economy."

Of his three priorities, if that is what they are, I support borrowing, massively, for public transit and for transportation infrastructure (roads and bridges) maintenance. I am OK with public housing .... but I think we do it all wrong in Canada (and in America, Australia, Britain, France and Hong Kong, too). I suspect that "helping communities adapt to climate change" will just be a Liberal slush fund to reward cities that support M Trudeau and to push wind farms in Ontario.

But, good on him ...  :salute:

>By 2011, though, when the recession had been obvious for some time the decision (by the now majority govt) to lower it even more is simply incomprehensible.

"It" - the GST cut - was done in two steps: 01 Jul 2006, and 01 Jan 2008.  The corporate income tax was lowered 01 Jan 2012.  Is the latter what you mean?  If so, note that it has been a success: we're getting nearly the same revenue we were before.  Economists write about Mulcair's proposed CIT increase the same way they wrote about Harper's GST cut - good politics, bad economics.  Both parties receive "F" grades.

A point of GST is thought to be worth $6-7B.  It is also thought to be worth 50,000 jobs (sounds high to me and I wish I could find the reference again to verify it) - loss for increase, gain for decrease.  It is not as simple as GST-cut = Bad.  A reminder: the point of the argument was that a GST cut was the least desirable choice among cutting one of GST, personal income tax, or corporate income tax.  And since the 2008 cut fortuitously preceded the plunge into recession, it wasn't really necessary to cut more taxes (a mechanism of "stimulus") to promote spending and job growth.

For those who might have noticed, the opposition parties have been scrambling to identify where they will come up with the money to pay for their new program promises, with a strong disinclination to include "borrowing" on the list.  If we had a surplus they'd basically raid it.  The irony is that but for the March Madness spending of the previous government, the GST might still be 7%.  As ERC noted, politicians have demonstrated they can't be trusted to responsibly apply Keynesian policy except for the part that allows them to pose for ribbon-cutting ceremonies.

Miscellaneous notes:

Among the "national interests" served by CPC policy is that we can pay for what we need, and didn't offload costs onto "the backs" of other levels of government or individuals.  (If Chretien and Martin had waited a couple more years the budget would have "balanced itself" with revenue growth.)

I beat the "fun by numbers" donkey because I remember the debt clock on Georgia Street running like the downrange distance telemetry of a shuttle launch, and I don't have a DB pension.  Parties talking about restricting favourable retirement savings policies and pursuing policies that will generally slow returns on investment and economic growth hold my attention: my retirement funds will be weaker and the government's revenues will be weaker, and I will still be liable to pay taxes to make up shortfalls.

Regarding Coyne's editorial - "But if there’s no scandal here, then why is everyone connected with the government acting as if there is?".  The answer is that Stephen Harper is not Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama - he can't say "there's nothing here" and expect the bulk of the media to say, "Oh, of course".

>I support borrowing, massively, for public transit

If you mean to include "rail", you should rethink it.  Rail transit in North America is almost without exception a money sink that cannibalizes (devours) other parts of a transit agency's budget: essentially, it's a vicious cycle in which the more rail is built, the greater become the operating subsidies which have to be made up by cutting other (inevitably, bus) service.

Build roads - including negotiating the obstacles - and buy buses.  Everyone can use a road; you can detour around an interruption; you can change routes.

It is very easy to misallocate capital in the guise of "infrastructure investment", even without touching circuses.

Brad Sallows said:
>I support borrowing, massively, for public transit

If you mean to include "rail", you should rethink it.  Rail transit in North America is almost without exception a money sink that cannibalizes (devours) other parts of a transit agency's budget: essentially, it's a vicious cycle in which the more rail is built, the greater become the operating subsidies which have to be made up by cutting other (inevitably, bus) service.

Build roads - including negotiating the obstacles - and buy buses.  Everyone can use a road; you can detour around an interruption; you can change routes.

It is very easy to misallocate capital in the guise of "infrastructure investment", even without touching circuses.

Rail has to be carefully thought out. In specific locations it makes better options than building more highways. High speed rail needs to be seriously looked at as an alternative to air travel in short  to moderate distance travel between cities. The Boston to Washington Corridor is the only profitable section of the entire Amtrak System. But the numbers when extended to high speed rail make runs like NY to Chicago, and California SF to LA much more economically feasible.

In Canada it doesn't make sense because of the vast distances between major population centers, other than the Montreal to Toronto corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back