• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
thehare said:
To be fair, it seems to me that a lot of the youth who voted in this election voted more so to remove Harper from office than for the "free credit card" of which you speak. I've been talking to a lot of my friends and colleagues in their early 20's, and the trend for their "reason to vote" seemed less policy driven (such as massive infrastructure investment) and more socially driven. A lot of youth seen Harper as some sort of tyrant of sorts (I would disagree with them vehemently but that is neither here nor there), and simply wanted to replace him, and saw Trudeau as the best option to do that.

Interesting enough, quite a few of these individuals do echo some concerns over the large amount of spending Trudeau is promising. It seems they hedged their bets hoping that the spending is either worth it in order to remove Harper from office, or that Trudeau was simply making election promises and that this spending will never actually happen once the Liberals "look at the books" so to speak.

Either way, regardless of why they voted for the Liberals I do think there will be a slightly different tune from some of these individuals in the next election if this spending is to take place.

Many of them will be working for themselves in four more years. When they see how much of their hard earned cash is being taken by the government, for those 'social policies' their tunes will change quick enough.

The spending will take place. If they need to, as they've done in previous years, the Trudeau Liberals will raid the EI and pension fund for the cash they need. However, not before they run into huge deficits through normal social spending.

Let's face it. Lots of people (special interests) vote liberal (or NDP) for the free money, or programs, they get. The people that vote conservative are, typically, the ones that the liberals (or NDP) take the money from to give to those others.

Working people are going to see their take home pay reducing in the very near future.

Once people go through a T1 a few times with intent, their views can change.

And I see the "provinces" have weighed in.  I have long taken the position that it was pointless to criticize Harper for not meeting with the premiers, because the meetings would basically have been dogpiles asking for more money.  So now that they are looking at establishing relationships with PM Trudeau, what have been their grievances and what issues do they want to tackle?

From cbc.ca:

"Danny Williams...the core of their high-profile spat was Harper's decision to incorporate non-renewable energy resources into the federal equalization formula." [Money]

"Kathleen Wynne, particularly over her government's proposed provincial pension plan, which Harper said would amount to tax grab and mean higher taxes for Ontarians." [Money]

"Rachel Notley...Her government opposes some energy projects championed by the federal and provincial Conservatives." [Economic development, so money]

"Calgary Mayor Nasheed Nenshi...is among the group of big city mayors that includes Toronto's John Tory and Vancouver's Gregor Robertson who have repeatedly called for greater support from the federal government for transit and infrastructure projects." [Money]

"Philippe Couillard, who said he's looking forward to working with a federal government with more progressive positions on climate change and health-care transfer payments." [Money]

"Brian Gallant...added he wants to see some of the infrastructure spending promised by Trudeau sent to his province." [Money]

Wait for all the TV Specials on Trudeau now being the PM and living in the house he grew up in.

I wonder if his mother moves in with him same as Obama's mother in law.

And here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail is an editorial that asks which Liberal Party M Trudeau is bringing to Ottawa:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/the-trudeau-government-first-some-ethical-questions/article26893759/
gam-masthead.png

GLOBE EDITORIAL
The Trudeau government: First, some ethical questions

The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015

The arrival of Justin Trudeau as prime-minister-designate has naturally put the focus on how he will run his caucus and his government. But there is another question of almost equal importance: What kind of Liberal Party will he lead?

Will Mr. Trudeau allow it to return to the days of the entitled, cynical, “natural-governing” party of Canada, handing out patronage appointments and Senate seats as rewards to bagmen and cronies? Or will his vow to be an agent of change extend to the party whose scandals and infighting nearly brought it to ruin?

As an opposition party leader, Mr. Trudeau was an effective critic of the Conservatives’ Senate debacle and the Duffy affair, and in January 2014 he abruptly went so far as to kick all the Liberal senators out of his caucus.

During the campaign, he promised to end partisanship and patronage in the Senate, and committed himself to “appointing independent senators only, through an open, transparent and public process.”

But one thing Mr. Trudeau has not addressed is the legacy of the near-dead party he took over in 2013. That party was riven by internal divisions over leadership, and still carried the stink of the sponsorship scandal.

There is no question that the Liberal Party now belongs to Mr. Trudeau, not to his predecessors. But its sudden rise from third party to government – from 34 MPs to 184 – means he will have to rely on experienced Liberal hands from the past to guide him through the transition period and beyond.

And that’s where it gets complicated. Mr. Trudeau scared a lot of supporters – and provided ammunition for his opponents – when it came to light that his campaign co-chair, Dan Gagnier, a long-time Liberal operative from Quebec, was moonlighting as a lobbyist for the company that wants to build the controversial Energy East pipeline. Mr. Gagnier resigned, but not before he left an all-too-familier stain on the Grit campaign.

Canadians do not want to go back to the bad old days of Liberal cronyism – that’s partly why they voted in Stephen Harper in the first place, in 2006. Mr. Trudeau needs to begin his mandate by publicly purging his party of any expectation that the resurrection of the Liberal Party means there’s a new gravy train pulling up to Parliament Hill.

It's not just me who is worried ...

From the Australian, posted under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act:

Canada withdrawing fighter jets from Iraq, Syria
THE AUSTRALIAN OCTOBER 21, 2015 9:54AM

Canada’s prime minister-elect Justin Trudeau has told US President Barack Obama that Canadian fighter jets would withdraw from fighting the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, but gave no timeline.

“About an hour ago I spoke with President Obama,” Trudeau told a press conference.

While Canada remains “a strong member of the coalition against ISIL,” Trudeau said he made clear to the US leader “the commitments I have made around ending the combat mission.”

Canada last year deployed CF-18 fighter jets to the region until March 2016, as well as about 70 special forces troops to train Kurds in northern Iraq.

During the campaign, Trudeau pledged to bring home the fighter jets and end its combat mission. But he vowed to keep military trainers in place.

His new Liberal government will be “moving forward with our campaign commitments in a responsible fashion,” Trudeau said.

Article Link

>It's not just me who is worried ...

No point worrying about certainties.  I expect the historical judgement of corruption in the Harper government will be that it was atypically low.

Uh.... did you miss Mike Duffy, Micheal Sona and Dean Del Mastro?  All election fraud, manipulation and bribery all seem a bit like corruption to me.

Brad Sallows said:
>It's not just me who is worried ...

No point worrying about certainties.  I expect the historical judgement of corruption in the Harper government will be that it was atypically low.

I had to read it again to make sure it was the G&M I was reading and not the NP or The Onion.  When did it have anything bad to say about the LPC?

>Uh.... did you miss Mike Duffy, Micheal Sona and Dean Del Mastro?

"Atypically low" != "categorically absent".  Do I need to explain how one man acting alone is different than, say, an orchestrated kickback scheme involving public contracts?

Brad Sallows said:
>Uh.... did you miss Mike Duffy, Micheal Sona and Dean Del Mastro?

"Atypically low" != "categorically absent".  Do I need to explain how one man acting alone is different than, say, an orchestrated kickback scheme involving public contracts?

Give it up Brad.  Let them have their day.  Lots of Events to come.  :cheers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMfR9vMWzQ

Already a downfall parody about harpers...well, you know.

So the lefties still aren't happy....  what a surprise  :tantrum: :tempertantrum:

recceguy said:
Many of them will be working for themselves in four more years. When they see how much of their hard earned cash is being taken by the government, for those 'social policies' their tunes will change quick enough.

The spending will take place. If they need to, as they've done in previous years, the Trudeau Liberals will raid the EI and pension fund for the cash they need. However, not before they run into huge deficits through normal social spending.

Let's face it. Lots of people (special interests) vote liberal (or NDP) for the free money, or programs, they get. The people that vote conservative are, typically, the ones that the liberals (or NDP) take the money from to give to those others.

Working people are going to see their take home pay reducing in the very near future.

And, according to an article in the Ottawa Citizen the Public Service Unions will be amongst the first in line looking to renegotiate their sick leave benefits ... for a start.

The article says:

"On top of sick leave, the various unions have their own concerns that they hope the Liberals will fix.

Chris Aylward, vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, said one of its top priorities is re-opening the nine veterans’ offices the Conservatives closed across the country.

He said PSAC will also be pressing to repeal legislation that changed labour rules for federal employees, took away pay equity rights, and weakened health and safety protection. It also wants to repeal labour legislation that made
    it harder to organize workers and forced unions to disclose its financial transactions.

“We call on the new government to act on these promises without delay,” said PSAC President Robyn Benson."

recceguy said:
That could be easily remedied. :whistle:

Silly me, I thought someone said something about lightening up. Lesson learned, won't fall for it again.

jollyjacktar said:
So the lefties still aren't happy....  what a surprise  :tantrum: :tempertantrum:

No! The lefties are realists: They know that  the Liberals get themselves elected on left leaning platforms ... and then govern from the centre (while finding all sorts of good, credible on their face excuses for doing so.)  :nod:

BTW: I just noticed that we have a Justin Smiley in our set:  :warstory:

One thing that makes me happy is the immediate return of the long form census and the creation of a Chief Science Office. This is just common sense, we shouldn't be afraid of facts.

https://www.liberal.ca/open-letter-to-canadas-public-servants/

Canadians also expect their government to produce policies and programs based on facts. Replacing the long-form census with the National Household Survey is another example of the Harper Conservatives’ short-sighted and ideological approach to governing. This policy hurts Canadians and the government programs and services on which they rely. A Liberal government will immediately restore the mandatory long-form census and make Statistics Canada fully independent. We will ensure evidence-based decision-making is once again a guiding principle of the Canadian government.

The muzzling of scientists and the Conservative suppression of scientific information is an assault on democracy and an embarrassment to Canada on the international stage. The Liberal Party of Canada is committed to revoking the rules and regulations that muzzle government scientists and allow them to speak freely about their work, with only limited and publicly-stated exceptions. In addition, we will consolidate government science so that it is easily available to the public at-large through a central portal.

Further to this, should the Liberal Party of Canada form the next government, we will create a Chief Science Officer, whose mandate will include ensuring that government science is freely available to the public, that scientists are able to speak freely about their work, and that scientific analyses are appropriately considered when the government makes decisions.

E.R. Campbell said:
And, according to an article in the Ottawa Citizen the Public Service Unions will be amongst the first in line looking to renegotiate their sick leave benefits ... for a start.

The article says:

"On top of sick leave, the various unions have their own concerns that they hope the Liberals will fix.

Chris Aylward, vice-president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, said one of its top priorities is re-opening the nine veterans’ offices the Conservatives closed across the country.

He said PSAC will also be pressing to repeal legislation that changed labour rules for federal employees, took away pay equity rights, and weakened health and safety protection. It also wants to repeal labour legislation that made
    it harder to organize workers and forced unions to disclose its financial transactions.

“We call on the new government to act on these promises without delay,” said PSAC President Robyn Benson."

Who was the main force behind the changes? The government of the day? Or senior DM's?

I feel that the sick day's issue is the same as the military's old practice of banking leave, which TB quashed in the 90's.
Or am I out to lunch on that idea?

The Ottawa Citizen reports on some of the fallout from the 2015 election in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/national/blame+great+tory+implosion+campaign+manager+jenni+byrne+booted/11453597/story.html
Ottawa-Citizen-Logo-160x90.jpg

Who’s to blame for the great Tory implosion? Campaign manager Jenni Byrne booted from inner circle

JENNIFER DITCHBURN, THE CANADIAN PRESS  10.19.2015

TORONTO — On his final campaign flight from Abbotsford, B.C. to Calgary, Stephen Harper sat with his closest friends and began putting together the plan for his exit from the Conservative Party leadership.

That plan will unfold Tuesday morning, as Conservative politicians and the party’s rank-and-file look to a future leadership race — only the merged party’s second — putting the pieces in place to move forward and rebuild from a devastating election loss.

Harper was calm about the defeat that laid before him, according to sources who spoke to The Canadian Press over the past 24 hours. He sat alternately with longtime aide Ray Novak, and party president John Walsh on the plane.

There are two main things that will happen right away — Harper will resign as leader, but stay on as an MP. The party’s much smaller caucus will vote for an interim leader. Former cabinet minister Diane Finley’s name is an early name being floated.

Then, the party’s national council will appoint a “leadership election organizing committee,” which will set the ground rules for the impending contest.

All these things will send the party into a period of upheaval — this was the party Harper built, filling positions with loyalists over the years to such an extent that there was barely a murmur of discontent in 12 years.

At the same time as the leadership race is set in motion, the activists are in the process of sorting through the members of the campaign, analysing what went wrong and who is to blame.

The party’s executive director, Dustin van Vugt, is in charge of a process to review the campaign.

A senior party source said the party will be in debt after this election is through, something the members aren’t used to.

As far back as Thursday, campaign manager Jenni Byrne was packing up her office in the Ottawa party war room. In a sign of how tense things have become inside Harper’s circle, Byrne was not in Calgary on election night, and is out of a job as of Tuesday morning.

During the campaign, sources say longstanding friction between Byrne and campaign director Guy Giorno just became worse, and the two strong personalities clashed on elements of the campaign. One insider said Byrne refused to hand over a list of candidate contact details to Giorno in the final days.

Eventually, their hostility spilled over into bad blood between Byrne and Novak, who is the person Harper trusts the most.

“There’s a tremendous amount of antipathy towards her on the part of the leader,” said one source.

“You don’t run a campaign by surrounding yourself by sycophants, interns and family members,” grumbled another.

But there are different ideas of why the campaign did not succeed. Some point to failings in the nuts and bolts organization of the campaign, while others believe the problems centred around the leader himself and his choice of message — factors no local candidate could control.

A source close to the war room said the party’s focus groups and voter research had told them that the die was cast before the campaign began. Conservative voters “were sick of the PM and had a hard time voting for him.”

“The feeling from Jenni as the campaign manager is that this was lost from the get go,” said the source, who asked to remain anonymous.

“They underestimated people’s feelings about the PM, that there was a stronger desire for change than they realized.”

Dan Miles, a senior aide to outgoing finance minister Joe Oliver, said it was clear in the riding that voters were looking for change. Oliver lost his Eglinton-Lawrence riding in a near Liberal sweep of the Greater Toronto Area.

“The only negative I really ever heard was that they liked Joe, but they had a problem with the leader,” said Miles.

“That was the only consistent thing I ever heard.”

Meanwhile, the leader’s message on the economy wasn’t resonating as well as they suspected. The Liberals ate into some of that territory with voters who liked the promise of infrastructure spending. Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau performed better than expected during the debates.

The niqab issue raised by Harper dealt a blow to NDP Leader Tom Mulcair in Quebec, but it also seemed to wound the New Democrats elsewhere.

“That policy and so many others resonated positive with some voters, and negatively with others,” said Oliver.

“I think that, and maybe some other policies, were responsible for the collapse of the NDP, which had a very significant impact on the national results.”

Calgary Conservative MP Jason Kenney, widely believed to be a serious leadership contender, alluded to problems with the party message. Trudeau had focused on optimism, while Harper issued dire warnings of bleak economic times and terrorist threats.

“We need a conservatism that is sunnier and more optimistic than what we have sometimes conveyed,” Kenney said.

“We have to take collective responsibility for that.”

On the other side, there are those who believe the party’s losses can be attributed to poor preparation.

That would include the training of local volunteers, the recruitment of candidates, convincing incumbents to run again, and vetting candidates. The conclusion is that the party didn’t take enough advantage of natural advantages of being in power, of having a huge war chest and its wealth of experience from previous campaigns.

“In this case I fear that, like all parties in power, we got fat and happy,” said Chad Rogers, a party loyalist who volunteered during the 2006 campaign, then run by the late Doug Finley.

“This campaign was not as lean, as focused or as aggressive as the ones that preceded it. A lot of candidate and campaign managers that I’ve been talking to informally were very surprised that things we were good at, just weren’t done this time.”

Rogers said there would be questions asked about how money was spent, especially the abandoning of a new, multi-million voter identification system two years ago.

Other Conservatives said the party hasn’t kept up with the times on the latest research methods and technology.

The source close to the war room said that it will be unfair to lay the blame all on Byrne, who also led the successful 2011 campaign.

“She’s a lightning rod, partly because of her personality, but also because she’s a woman,” said the source. “She’s going to bear the brunt of a lot of knifing because she’s a woman at the top of the food chain.”

There was some earlier dissatisfaction with Ms Byrne, as reported, back in early September, by CTV News.

jenni-byrne.jpg

Jennie Byrne

I think people might be shocked how little legislation comes from partisan political sources and how much comes out of the bureaucracy.  Good government is good government.  Compensating workers at a higher level than is needed to keep staffing positions at a reasonable level is a waste and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back