• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that 308 got it so wrong.

Ekos must have throwing them off.

The left wing only demands changes to the electoral system so they can take and hold power. If the current system suits them, electoral reform will be the furthest from their minds.

I'm very interested in the Senate powderkeg Trudeau wants to open with reform talking to the provinces. Talk about dividing the nation in short order...

Towards_the_gap said:
I agree with quite a bit of this. A small c conservative for most of my adult life (teenage flirtation with Rage Against The Machine-style Marxism notwithstanding), I've only found myself more and more disappointed with the Tories of late.

This is the party of Cheryl Gallant for Pete's sake. Also the party which argued the government had no social contract with veterans. I could go on of course.

I'm embarrassed that our next PM will be the ludicrous pretty boy/fortunate son that is Trudeau, but I hope, at least, it gives the CPC a chance to regroup, clear out the dead wood/lunatic fringe of the party, and come back in time to limit the damage the airy-fairy party will do.

Oh, and thank goodness the NDP didn't seize power!

Same here; I was a fan of the old pre-reform party merging conservatives, although Paul Martin liberals seemed generally reasonably effective all things considered.

I'm cautiously optimistic JT knows his limitations and will actually listen to a good group of smart people; my very limited personal dealings with some of the more senior folks in Ottawa left me generally impressed at their dedication to actually doing a service for Canada, despite the fact that they toiled ludicrously long, generally thankless hours behind the scenes.  He could do a lot worse then taking advice from the various mandarins in Ottawa.

If nothing else, if he carries through on the promise to reinvest in infrastructure that alone would be excellent; basic things like roads, water etc are in various and in some cases appalling states of disrepair throughout the country.  It will be a big chunk of money, but it's a sound investment, and pays off in the long run if you do it right the first time.  Imagine those emergency water main breaks cost an absolute fortune, and no one really likes overpasses falling down. 

And if push comes to shove, at least he can throw a punch!  In retrospect, watching JT beat up Brazeau was pretty sweet, given his recent track history with domestic assault.  (The 'float like an Algonquin, sting like a Cree' slogan was pretty catchy though).

jollyjacktar said:
Really bummed that Leslie survived and thrived...  :'(

I live in that riding, it was interesting.  I think the cpc candidate mailed it in, and the Leslie team was very, very active in canvassing the area.  Plus he absolutely blew the rest of them out of the water at the local debate, it wasn't even fair.  Should be interesting when he rolls into NDHQ.

Interestingly enough, looks like Joe Oliver and Julian Fantino won't make it in.  And possibly Gilles Duceppe.

SupersonicMax said:
Do you know any people making $50K a year saving 10K in TFSA?!  If anything, you should max out RRSPs first to benefit from the tax deductions and then consider investing into TFSAs. 

A person making $50K can put in $9K in RRSPs (provided that person or its employer doesn't contribute into a retirement plan).  That makes $41K of taxable income.  In Ontario, someone would have to pay $6K in income tax, $762 in EI Contributions and $1856 in CPP Contributions.  That leaves $2700 a month to live.  Where exactly do you take that extra $10K a year to invest?

I'm currently in a lower tax bracket and still have a long working career ahead of me, so my investments have more time to grow. A TFSA means not having to pay taxes on the gains from investments in the account.

The savings from RRSP now aren't great for the tax bracket I'm in. I don't mean filling in the entire $50k, just double-checking I've contributed this year.

I doubt Andrew Leslie will be MND - skeletons in closets work both ways...

chanman said:
I'm currently in a lower tax bracket and still have a long working career ahead of me, so my investments have more time to grow. A TFSA means not having to pay taxes on the gains from investments in the account.

The savings from RRSP now aren't great for the tax bracket I'm in. I don't mean filling in the entire $50k, just double-checking I've contributed this year.

So, you don't invest the full 10K..  Got it.. You just proved my point that lowering the limit will have a very, very minimal impact the the middle class as the full 10K is hardly ever used.

Ouch.  Imagine this: You run for office and lose.  But not only do you lose - you get fewer votes than a cat.

Congratulations, Mary Joyce of the Marxist-Leninist party.  Bun Bun Thompson of the Rhino party got more votes than you!

C’est la vie, c’est la guerre, c’est la pomme de terre.

I'll wait for his throne speech before I make judgement, but the Liberal track record of keeping their promises, is sorely lacking.

As well, if I was still serving, I'd be dusting off my blue beret.

As the authors of the New Veterans Charter, it'll be interesting to see if they're ready to make timely, reasonable and concrete changes to their creation. They can't blame Harper anymore.

Perhaps also, Leslie will start trashing all those stovepipes and HQs that he wanted to do in the first place. If there's a silver lining, that would be it..

dapaterson said:
I doubt Andrew Leslie will be MND - skeletons in closets work both ways...

Dear God I hope so.  The last ex-general foisted upon us really sucked.

SupersonicMax said:
So, you don't invest the full 10K..  Got it.. You just proved my point that lowering the limit will have a very, very minimal impact the the middle class as the full 10K is hardly ever used.

What? I invest the full 10k in the TFSA. I've maxed out the TFSA every year. It's RRSPs I don't make a contribution to.

In other news, the first thing in my mind seeing the electoral map of the Maritimes was "The East is Red"

I think we can probably kiss them goodbye at this point!!  At least the conversion to the Super Hornet won't be too drastic...

Interesting: Reports are indicating that Stephen Harper will step down as leader, but remain as an MP.

Shades of Dief the Chief?

dapaterson said:
Interesting: Reports are indicating that Stephen Harper will step down as leader, but remain as an MP.

Shades of Dief the Chief?
Rumor has it that parliamentary privilege is all that is keeping him from being called to testify at the Duffy Trial.

Just a rumor.

SupersonicMax said:
Do you know any people making $50K a year saving 10K in TFSA?!  If anything, you should max out RRSPs first to benefit from the tax deductions and then consider investing into TFSAs. 

A person making $50K can put in $9K in RRSPs (provided that person or its employer doesn't contribute into a retirement plan).  That makes $41K of taxable income.  In Ontario, someone would have to pay $6K in income tax, $762 in EI Contributions and $1856 in CPP Contributions.  That leaves $2700 a month to live.  Where exactly do you take that extra $10K a year to invest?

After my epic divorce where I lost everything, I borrowed the rest to make up the difference, and I changed the beneficiary to my (20 somethings years younger, hot and sexy) soon to be spouse. Take the focus not x per year, but X per month to make up or unused TFSA room accrued over the past years since plans inception. Time your payments to meet plan limits rougly within 18months of the synchronicity year, and according to what you can afford
After that, do the same with rrsp's, take the amount your NOA states, borrow and make payments until they catch up. mind you, these are longer term, lower interest, special purpose loans The banks will work with you.

For TFSA, strike fast as this could be an early move by the libs, but they won't damage the program by much once they get an inside review of the cost-benefit analysis. Guys like Francesco Sorbera are not going to let Trudeau do much to the program without an alternate plan that is more beneficial.

For the record, I did not vote CPC, and have only done so once. Trudeau will support most of what us in the current foreign policy Mill, including TPP. 

Let's stick with the election theme of the thread everyone. If you want to talk changes to investment strategies, start a new thread.

---Staff---

Altair said:
Rumor has it that parliamentary privilege is all that is keeping him from being called to testify at the Duffy Trial.

Just a rumor.
I also heard a rumour that he is Hitler incarnate, but it was from rabble.ca so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back