• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EME Officer Phase 3

csura2

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, first off I'll just try to justify my asking these questions in this forum instead of to knowledgeable military members who I might work with.   The reason being that, I'm in the civilian university ROTP program, and really don't have much exposure to anyone in the military through the school year.   The base that I am attached to is very small (ASU London) and does have a EME unit, but believe me, I have exhausted my resources.   Unfortunately, the only EME officers that I have spoken with have been out of the training system for half and nearly full decades.   So...I promise I am only using this forum as a last resort...
I realize that frequently the goings on of courses are often intended to be hushed so as to maintain the suspense for incoming students.   But I think my questions are general enough to be answered vaguely if need be, but still give me some insight.   Preferably, I would like to receive answers from persons who have taken the course within the last two or three years, as I am aware of the possibility that things may have changed drastically from years past.
Phew...okay, now on to my questions:

1.)   Is the general tone/learning environment comparable to that of a combat trade? (ie Combat Eng Phase 3)

2.)   Is there a large portion of technical material tought, and if so, what are some of the topics covered?   Is there any hands on portions? (engine swapping maybe?)

3.)   How focused are the instructors on evaluating you for your command presence?
(by command presence I mean how loud you can yell) The reason I ask, is that I faced some troubles during CAP from the infantry instructors who tended to measure one's leadership ability by their "outside voice".   As one might guess, being a female, even when I tried to yell my loudest, the result was a shrill, ear-drum popping sound that even annoyed me, let alone the troops.   I just sounded like someone's mother telling them to clean their room.   I found my leadership to be more effective when I wasn't yelling.   I realize the importance of being able to yell when doing, say, a section attack.   How much of a hindrance will my lacklustre yelling voice be?  

4.)   I have heard about the field portion, I think it is called "Exercise Dirty Hands" or simliar.   Any information or stories for offer would be appreciated.

5.)   How physical is the course?   Background:   I am a 115 woman who struggles carrying her textbooks in her backpack, let alone her rucksack.   (ok, so that's a gross exaggeration, but you get the picture)   It's pathetic, I know, but I try really hard to keep up with the big boys.   I would like to get an idea of what preparations I need to make physically to prepare for the course.

So, I think that's it.   I hope SOMEONE can answer one or all questions.   Thanks in advance!

Blast...no replies yet!!  Oh well, maybe Phase 3 is so fun and interesting that it must be kept a secret...(highly unlikely, but still gunning for it!)

Try 22 (London) Service Battalion, (750 Elizabeth Street. Wolseley Barracks, 519-660-5275 Ext 5271). They have experienced EME Offr who may be able to give you some more info.

Good Luck
AM

Yes, I do know the Maint-O from the Highbury Complex, Capt Morin, quite well indeed.  He is my exhausted resource actually.  He finished his phase training approximately five years ago as I understand.  I was hoping beyond hope that I might get answers from others because one's experiences are never quite the same as anothers, but alas, beggers can't be choosers.

Thanks though.

IF you want try using the contact information from my units website. Contact the recruiter and she can probably get you in touch with someone to help you out.

WWW.25service.ca

It's too bad there aren't any EME Officers on board this forum.  I was really hoping that someone might be able to satisfy my eager curiosities.  I don't go on my phase 3 until June, so I still have lots of time to get my answers.  Maybe I should have posted to a more heavily viewed page? (ie "The Canadian Army")  I don't know how to move a post though.

try speaking to mike in regards to that.. or even brin shes the moderator of the CSS forums

Hi EMEGirl:

I'm an EME officer. Send me an email if you like.

regards,

I am glad to ear you are still gunning for it.

I do have lots of information on Ph III EME.

Let me me know if, very well indeed, you are interseted ?

:soldier:HCMOES

EME Girl,
I have sent you a PM, plse contact me if you need more info regarding the EME Officer Ph III Course.

Old Wrench Bender

EMEgirl,
            I am saddened to see no one could answer your questions.  I will endeavour to shed some light on the subject for you.  As YOUR DS I am intimately familiar with the requirements of the course.  I will address them with as much detail as possible. 

The course is physically demanding.  PT will include running, marching, and cbt PT.  Field deployments are lengthy and challenging, longer then you have experienced in CAP.  Rest assured women of your size have passed and have been very successful as Maintainers.  That being said you will be held to the same standard as all candidates.

As a Maintainer you will be required to have a greater knowledge of the technical aspects of being a soldier.  Your trg during Ph III will build on your engineering background with theoretical lectures but you will also be exposed to, and will have to perform, practical exercises from all 4 of the EME trades, Vehicle, Weapons, Fire Control Systems and Materials.

You will be assessed as a leader though all of your tasks.  You will find as you gain experience in the EME world leadership is somewhat different here then in the Cbt arms.  The volume of your voice is not as importance as what is actually coming out of you mouth.  Make sound, timely decisions, inspire your troops to meet your intent and you may never have to raise your voice.  However, you must be a strong confident speaker when giving direction, orders, and briefings.  You will have many opportunities to develop this over the course.

I hope this helps although I have not said anything here you will not receive within minutes of arriving in Borden.  I have sent a PM with an email address of one of your peers who is attending the course as well.  He will be able to help you from a student's perspective.

Back