• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Employment Opportunities For Spouses- Merged

annemarielyman

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a little nervous about employment opportunities. My husband has not submitted any request yet and wants my input. I'm in a hard to find job as it is and will go insane if we end up in a place where i can't work. Now that I've rambled on, I'm wondering which bases are closest to civilian airports or are there any aviation opportunities on base for civilians? Thanks.

What are your husbands choices for postings? 

I can just tell you that halifax and/or shearwater is 20-30 minutes from the Halifax International Airport.  Greenewood is about 3 hours I believe away so that wouldn't work for you.

Can any one else add comments about the other bases across Canada?

My husband has no choices for postings. We really don't care where we go. But he wants my input in case they give him a couple of options. Also I think he would like to a base with a large ground force and lots of opportunities to further his career.

Actually, Halifax International is about 90 minutes from Greenwood. Still a pain to drive there on a regular basis though.

I could have sworn that it was past the Drive In out there and that took us an hour and half to get there.  Mind you we took the old highway and went cross country so that in itself will add time on.  

Edmonton....has an international airport
Gagetown...has Fredericton Airport
Comox...is its airport
Esquimault...has Victoria's airport
Petawawa.....is inbreeding country so stay away
Shilo...The Brandon Airport is nothing much but with the PPCLI move the Gene pool went from the consitency of tar to more of an oil based paint with its lid off
Winnipeg...wow what an airport...did you know there is now smoking there and the gum spit out and on the sidewalk is gross yet interesting at the same time...
Cold Lake is far away and no so good for commercial airstuff....
And thats all I can think of for now

Shadow Cat said:
I could have sworn that it was past the Drive In out there and that took us an hour and half to get there.   Mind you we took the old highway and went cross country so that in itself will add time on.  
Gramps said:
Actually, Halifax International is about 90 minutes from Greenwood. Still a pain to drive there on a regular basis though.

An hour and a half.....90 minutes...........seven thirty in Newfoundland

It is obvious that 90 minutes is an hour and half but my comments stated that it was past where I was going which took me an hour and a half to get to.  Hence it would be more than 90 minutes.

Nope, drove it on Saturday.   Halifax is about 95 minutes from Greenwood at a good clip (ie: 10 km over   ;D)   Greenwood is 15 minutes from my place and it took me 1 hr 20 min.

vehtech wife's husband is a vehicle technician which is an army trade.  They are posted anywhere though to maintain the airforce/navy vehicle fleet as well.

Thanks for all the info. Now at least I feel like I can give a decent opinion. Sounds like east coast or west coast is the way to go. I think I'll vote for east if he gets a choice. I hear a lot of good things about Gagetown, Greenwood and Halifax. Plus I think I'll have a heart attack if i have to go west and buy a house at those prices. Can't believe I ever complained of house prices in Ontario.

Well, back to the waiting game. Thanks again.

There is always the Reserves...the old...."If you can't beat 'em--Join 'em!"
There are a lot of nursing students involved in Reserve Medical Units, it can give you some more options if you are planning to follow him around.

It could also give you some perspective of what your boyfriend is going through.
It really helps me knowing the system...and knowing what he is talking about when he talks about this new thing that is his "Whole World" now.
I am purposely staying in the Reserves for now, so that when we get posted I can decide if I want to be a SAHM, work civie side, work on the base, or for an off-base Reserve unit.

Joining this forum is the other way to learn about the military for sure!

If the Reserves are for you:  Join as a non-commissioned member (Pte, Cpl etc)...get your nursing degree...go officer and then outrank your boyfriend!! Then he would have to salute you!!  :salute: hee hee.
I have the opposite problem, my DH is now an officer and I am not  :(

(I know this is probably jumping the gun on this, but in case someone might tell you to join as an officer first...IMHO, if it is nursing things you like doing, join as an NCM while you are in school to get the hands-on stuff).

By joining the Reserves, you have more freedom for moving around with your BF and if anything change b/w you and your BF, it is less of a permanent commitment.

But, the Regular force might be good if you are serious and looking for some subsidization while in school:  http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx?id=7 or http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx?id=9

Good luck!

Denise

mover1 said:
Edmonton....Gagetown...Comox...Esquimault...Petawawa...Shilo...Winnipeg...Cold Lake...
And thats all I can think of for now

And, some other places that have a few Veh Techs
(but not necessarily a "large number of ground troops" ...)
ASU Toronto ... has Pearson International Airport, Buttonville Airport, and The Island Airport
ASU London, CFSU Ottawa ... have airports, too ...

Good luck - when my ex was posted to England, I ended up unemployed for a year (ironically, thanks to some Army folks who couldn't think outside the box ...)

ArmyGirlfriend19 said:
...  I wondered it there is any option for the spouses to get a job actually on the base. ... And if so I suspect that you would have to army trainning? one other question can both a husband and wife be in the army and not be stationed at two different bases? As well are there any education opp. for a wife when the husband is in the army? ...

It's been my observation/experience that the bureaucratic red tape (and the Public Service union) makes it difficult for a spouse to get a job at the same military base (unless, of course, somebody pulls some strings and suddenly a plum job just happens to materialise ... but don't hold your breath for that one ...)

However, there are sometimes jobs for civilians (i.e. not requiring Army training).

Yes, a couple can be posted to two different bases, but ... sometimes one person "puts their career on hold" and accepts a crummy posting at the same location in order to let their spouse get a good posting.

Not sure about the education thing - I never received any such benefit.

I don't know if that topic has already been discussed here (if it has, just erase or lock mine) but I'd like to know what "military wives" and husbands think about this...
When your man and you move every 4-5 years, when you're not in the army yourself AND are not a homemaker either, is it possible to enjoy a career of your own ?? Do you think the army should do more to help "military wives" to find a good civilian job ?? I don't know if studies have been done about this but I'd be really curious to know how many "military wives" are able to have a career and how many tried but gave up that idea because it was too complicated. And please people don't jump to conclusion and think that my thread intends to ridicule or scorn homemakers because it is not my point at all. Some women are perfectly happy being at home and that's their business BUT not all women are, and I find that those women don't have many resources and are often ignored by the system.

So I'd like to hear about your personal stories... I hope they'll inspire me :)

I think this is a very good question and I look forward to reading the replies.

I have been able to maintain employment regardless of where we were posted to. I have not worked very much since being here in NS(by choice), but else where I have had no problems.

I am a certified care aid(CCA, PCW, PCA, HHA, RCA and what ever other abbreviation there is...lol) Basically I am trained to work in homecare and in facilities. My specialty being palliative care and dementia care. My training took place in BC at Camosun College. I have 5 years of pretty steady(minus some maternity leave and when we were posted to the USA)experience working both in facilities and in homecare.

The hardest part with securing employment for me has been having to prove my qualifications over and over again. Not just with transcripts and my certificate, but I have had to get a copy of the course outline to show employers what was involved, how much time was spent, etc. I have found that it was easier to get employment in my trade in the USA than it has been here in Nova Scotia. It comes down to each province having different regulations to follow. One facility I applied to here in Halifax had a ton of hoops that i would have to jump through to be employed by their company, even so far as me having to sign a waiver and that I would probably have to take some additional courses, at my cost, to be brought up to NS standards. Doesn't make much sense to me, so instead, I went and worked at a daycare center where I was the toddler teacher for 12 rambunctious little ones.

I don't think there is a whole lot that the CF or the MFRC could do to help make it easier for me. I thought, when I chose to take this course, that it would be one of those courses where the qualification requirements would be the same across the country. Sadly, that is not the case.

Now I am joining the CF and look forward to steady work, steady paycheck, vacation time and benefits...something that is very hard to find in my line of work without 20,000hrs under your belt(works out to be 10 years of full time employment)

Cybelle24 said:

Just a question, but have you considered what Springroll is doing?

I am a military wife with a full time career... one of the best benefits of my career is the spousal relocation.

I work for the federal government - DND specifically - and one of the "perks" of working for the Feds is if your spouse also works for the federal government and is relocated - you become a priority for a position in your new location for 5 years. This means that if another job becomes available (similar to the one you left) then you get first crack at it.  There is no Guarantee that you will be given another position... but it is much better odds!

During the 5 years you are waiting you are allowed to work elsewhere as well.

That being said, getting a foot in the door with the Federal Public Service is anything but easy... you have to apply to open competitions, and there are ususally many applicants. It is not impossible however! 

If you are interested in that sort of job - you will want to check out www.jobs.gc.ca - for all the info.

Maggie

Here is a topic for me.

I have a very successful career as a Project Manager for a communications company and I have 2 kids. I have been lucky since I have been on Mat. leave with my children throughout this tour. Let me just add that I have the most respect for stay at home mom's. Because I don't know how they do it on a day to day basis. ( My personal opinion)

However we that said. I have had opportunities for job advancements but have had to turn them down due to the fact I would have to move away and that is was not possible with hubby in the CF. One example would be they offered me a great position in Calgary, I had to turn it down because I  understand how important the CF is to my husband and to our family. This was my choice because my husband would have have supported this move and said we would of found a way for it to work. I couldn't do that to my family or to his career and so I stayed here in Edmonton. I do not regret any choices or the sacrifice of my own career for his. I knew how important his job is to him and what his job would entail when I met him. My hubby still has regrets that I have sacrificed my own career for his career and a little bit of guilt thrown in. However I would never change that fact because I am proud of what he does and what he represents.

Prior to the tour and Mat. leave. I have found the CF very understanding. There have been times that my hubby would have to be late for PT because I was out of town on business and he had to take our daughter to daycare. Or if our daughter was sick he would be able to leave work and attend to our daughters needs. They have been very supportive and understanding. Also my work has been very supportive and understanding as well. They extended my leave by 3 months so I can finish this tour and help re integrate our family when Hubby comes home. My work has also been supportive when hubby has been gone on exercises. I have had to do several of meetings via the internet and the telephone. Further more,they have also switched my job position so I will be working out of Edmonton and not have to travel as much as I have done so in the past.

From my point of view it has been hard road to struggle my career, husbands career and our family. But we make it work.

I am very lucky because if we get posted and with my back ground I could find work ( hopefully) where ever we will end up.

Cybelle24 said:
I don't know if that topic has already been discussed here (if it has, just erase or lock mine) but I'd like to know what "military wives" and husbands think about this...
When your man and you move every 4-5 years, when you're not in the army yourself AND are not a homemaker either, is it possible to enjoy a career of your own ?? Do you think the army should do more to help "military wives" to find a good civilian job ?? I don't know if studies have been done about this but I'd be really curious to know how many "military wives" are able to have a career and how many tried but gave up that idea because it was too complicated. And please people don't jump to conclusion and think that my thread intends to ridicule or scorn homemakers because it is not my point at all. Some women are perfectly happy being at home and that's their business BUT not all women are, and I find that those women don't have many resources and are often ignored by the system.

My spouse is an RN. She works in the OR so is always in demand wherever we are posted. We made a conscious decision when I got back in the CF....I was in as a single rat for first 4 years in the CF, then returned to university and civilian employment for a while...that we would follow my career for the years when our kids were growing. She stayed home for 10 years and then returned to the workplace when they were in Middle School.
Drawbacks for nursing and the Education industry is that they are provincial and as someone else has stated you have to start all over every province you go to...not only for qualifiactions but union and pension as well.
Kids are grown and gone now and spouse has informed me that she's not moving again...sick of it and loves her job here in the Dartmouth General. I can't blame her. I have 8 years left to a full pension and will likely stay in....planning IR as it will likely be Ottawa for my next move.
If I really hate Ottawa and IR I'll do the Math and see what civie jobs are open....got a little over 20 altogether now so maybe it's time to follow her career for a while.
I know lots of folks who've done that once their kids are grown and they've got their 20...followed the spouse's career for a while.

Like the majority of those that have already posted I work and have always worked so the prospect of staying home is not that appealing to me.   After 13 years of being together my DH approached me and stated that he wanted to join the CF.  Even though I hada  great municipal job I wanted to see him happy with what he was doing and supported his decision, that was almost three years ago. 

I have now being through two moves and have been very greatful that they have both been in larger communities that I have been able to gain employment.  It is not a government job but I am happy none the less.

The one concern that I do have about being new to the forces is our possible next posting.  What if we are posted to Pet....no offence but there really arent a lot of jobs for us working women and the prospect of not working in an office scares the jeepers out of me.  To try to reassure myself that I will be alright, employment wise, I am now looking at upgrading some of my qualifications so that I can venture into opening my own business.

My motto has been and will always be...where there is a will there is a way.  Nothing has stopped me from obtaining my goals thus far and I dont plan on letting anything in the future get in the way.

Back