• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Employment Opportunities For Spouses- Merged

Hi.  My wife has a career (real good one...)  We find that it all comes down to making some compromise on both side.  My wife is a pilot.  We discussed this issue for a long time and we decided to take decision for every possible scenario so we can be prepared to what's going to happen.  I just finished RMC and I have a 1.5 year OJT.  We decided to go to Winnipeg so she can have a better job than Bagotville or Cold Lake.  After 1.5 year, I have to go in Moose Jaw for a course which I will try to go in Imposed Restriction (in other words, she would stay back in Winnipeg while I go on course).  After Moose Jaw, I would have to either stay in Moose Jaw or go in Portage La Prairie.  Right now, the odds of me going to Portage are pretty high (not many guys get a fighter slot after all) so here is an other reason why we chose Winnipeg.  Eventually, what I'd like to do is spend my career in Winnipeg.  That way, we would both have our career.  Of course we looked at other possibilities (Who knows, we might be stuck in Gagetown ;)) but this is just to show you that if you plan a little bit and talk to your loved one about your concerns and your career path, there is always a way to please both of you.

Max

I've been very lucky in that the company I work for has offices all over the country and has worked with me on each posting to retain me as a member of their staff.  I've managed to arrange transfers to other offices each time my husband has been transferred so I haven't had to pursue a job search on any of our postings to date.  I'm also fortunate that my field of expertise (Instructional Design) is one in which I can work from anywhere in the world.  In fact, I'm currently working out of an office in Manila, Philippines on temporary assignment.  It's also easier for me to move into a self-employed consulting role with the work that I do, should I ever find myself unemployed due to a move. 

I've never had to use any of the MFRC services to find a position, so I can't speak for how much assistance they provide or whether or not the degree of assistance is sufficient for those looking for a career.

Like others, I have made some sacrifices when it comes to accepting promotions or moving laterally within the company.  While my husband and I have agreed that short-term temporary assignments to other places in the world are something that I should pursue, I have had to turn down offers of permanent positions in the US.  We joke that I'm going to spend the first 20-30 years of our marriage following my husband around the country and when he retires he'll spend the next 20 or so years following me around the world.

Shadow Cat said:
Like the majority of those that have already posted I work and have always worked so the prospect of staying home is not that appealing to me.   After 13 years of being together my DH approached me and stated that he wanted to join the CF.  Even though I hada  great municipal job I wanted to see him happy with what he was doing and supported his decision, that was almost three years ago. 

I have now being through two moves and have been very greatful that they have both been in larger communities that I have been able to gain employment.  It is not a government job but I am happy none the less.

The one concern that I do have about being new to the forces is our possible next posting.  What if we are posted to Pet....no offence but there really arent a lot of jobs for us working women and the prospect of not working in an office scares the jeepers out of me.  To try to reassure myself that I will be alright, employment wise, I am now looking at upgrading some of my qualifications so that I can venture into opening my own business.

My motto has been and will always be...where there is a will there is a way.  Nothing has stopped me from obtaining my goals thus far and I dont plan on letting anything in the future get in the way.

A lot of people who have working spouses choose to live in Arnprior or Renfrew...easy commute distance to Ottawa or Petawawa. You need permission to live that distance from the Base but it's easily obtained. I also know other couples who were posted to Shilo and lived halfway between so the spouse could work in Winnipeg. As someone earlier stated....there are always ways to make things work.

That is fine if you have two vehicles, if you dont mind leaving your children home alone while you are working so far away and if you both dont mind driving and spending the money for such great distances each day.

I am much happier living in a community where it can offer everything but if I end up there at some point than like I said I will make the best of it.  I just hope that I dont ever have to.  ;D

Everyone's situation is different.  It's possible to work with only one vehicle if one of your lives close to their work or the area you're in has great public transportation.  Then there's the issue of children - not all military couples have them - so it's not a consideration for some.  I think the choice to work outside of the home is just as valid as that made to stay at home (with or without children).

IMNSHO, It's a personal decision that should be discussed with a spouse, but shouldn't be influenced by anyone outside of the relationship.

Hi
We are relatively new to the Reg Force world, so our first posting is coming up in Jan 07 to Moose Jaw. Giving the amount of time it takes to get all training and courses, I have had a lot of time to think about what I will do in Moose Jaw. I have been with the same hi-tech company in Ottawa for the past 8 years, but I also have been a reserve Med A, for the past 13 years and I am keeping that option open for the time being.

I would like to take the first year we are posted to get a web-based business going; also taking that year to get my family of 3 kids acclimated to their new digs.

By taking the year off, I figure it is my job to make sure my husband succeeds at his pilot training, so I will be the one home with sick kids, I will be the one getting up in the night so he can get enough sleep, and doing all the domestic stuff.  We have always both worked outside the home, so we split all the household stuff.  With the launch of DH’s real CF training, his job will be to get the training and succeed.  My job will be to do everything else!  At least for the first while….as soon as we get posted to a squadron, I expect things to go back to normal and I can resume a career after that (Do you hear that “Carpediem”???)

Wow, thanks a lot everyone, I didn't expect so many replies. And by the way, they did inspire me :). Seriously, I often felt kind of alone because in my circle of friends the "military wives" are either in the CF themselves or stay at home moms. I find it very comforting to see that other women in my situation have managed to have a satisfying career, because sometimes I got a little bit discouraged and thought that my boyfriend would be the only one to have a job he loves. From what I read, I understand it's not always easy and you have to make some sacrifices but it is possible to make it work.

Keep on writting, it's really helpful and encouraging ;)

My $0.02

My wife and I run a small home business... by which I mean, my wife runs the home business while I'm at my army job; she's the CEO and boss, I'm the Tech Support guy, bookkeeper and Janitor. The nice thing about it is that the business is internet-based, therefore, we are able to move the business to wherever I get posted, and she just carries on doing the work. (We do graphics and web site design, including scripting and database applications... anyone got some work for us!?  ;D  Let me know, and I'll drop our URL for you) We could have run the business when we were posted to the UK for a year, but we decided not to, mostly so she could enjoy doing the touristy thing while she was there.

As an added bonus, she is home to send the kids off to school, and also when they get back... although sometimes they have to be told to "leave mommy alone for a while" when she's really deep inside a creative fog of code-writing.  :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I am an educator and I move every 2-3 years.  I find it difficult to have a career in this lifestyle as I am always starting out at the bottom and sometimes, like Manitoba, it takes me a long time to find a job that I can afford daycare and still bring home some cash for my efforts.  I am  now applying for positions outside of what I am trained for in hopes that I can find something, yet am also confined by salary needs.

I love this life and wouldn't give it up, ever, but I do feel sad that I am not able to grow professionally as well.

angeie said:
I am an educator and I move every 2-3 years.  I find it difficult to have a career in this lifestyle as I am always starting out at the bottom and sometimes, like Manitoba, it takes me a long time to find a job that I can afford daycare and still bring home some cash for my efforts.  I am  now applying for positions outside of what I am trained for in hopes that I can find something, yet am also confined by salary needs.

I love this life and wouldn't give it up, ever, but I do feel sad that I am not able to grow professionally as well.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, I too found it difficult to have my chosen career in "this lifestyle", but with my situation, it was more a location problem. Five years ago, my husband and I married; I moved to Petawawa and became a proud military wife.  I was also a recent graduate of a Sign Language Interpreting course. I figured that I could work anywhere in Canada with this profession, but I failed to realize that in order for me to work there needs to be people who require my services.  So, I commuted to Ottawa everyday. (I know how stupid was I)  Well that lasted about 1-2 years before I realized that I had no life and little time with my husband.  I started the job hunt here in Pet. and was lucky enough to be hired on with PSP.  I now work on base, my commute is only about 5 mins and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a 0700 - 1600 job.  Now I get to see my husband and our daughter, and I get to enjoy my life.  It's not the career I saw myself having, but as others have said a little compromise is all that it takes.
On a side note, PSP is great because if we are posted and I can find another job within PSP I keep my seniority!

HitorMRS. said:
Now I get to see my husband and our daughter, and I get to enjoy my life.  It's not the career I saw myself having, but as others have said a little compromise is all that it takes.

Point of note, she says this; but after a month of me not going anywhere she says and I quote!

"Shouldn't you be going to the field or something, you have been home a lot lately"

Shadow Cat said:
The one concern that I do have about being new to the forces is our possible next posting.  What if we are posted to Pet....no offence but there really arent a lot of jobs for us working women and the prospect of not working in an office scares the jeepers out of me.  To try to reassure myself that I will be alright, employment wise, I am now looking at upgrading some of my qualifications so that I can venture into opening my own business.

At the moment, I prefer to stay at home to raise my 5 children, but I wonder if there are ANY women in Petawawa that actually work outside the home, contrary to the suggestion made that there are no jobs for working women here?

***Scullee*** said:
At the moment, I prefer to stay at home to raise my 5 children, but I wonder if there are ANY women in Petawawa that actually work outside the home, contrary to the suggestion made that there are no jobs for working women here?
If you look just 2 posts above yours, you will see that there is, in fact, at least one woman in Pet who works outside the home:

HitorMRS. said:
...I started the job hunt here in Pet. and was lucky enough to be hired on with PSP.  I now work on base, my commute is only about 5 mins and I'm one of the lucky ones who has a 0700 - 1600 job... 

navymich said:
If you look just 2 posts above yours, you will see that there is, in fact, at least one woman in Pet who works outside the home:
:rofl:

Ha ha...I was away on TD for the week and missed all this great posting and humour. Now where's my rum and coke so I can really relax?? :cheers:

***Scullee*** said:

I think that you really missed one important thing in my comment and that is this: " no offence but there really arent a lot of jobs for us working women".

See I like knowing that I can have a job easily that will pay me what I am worth and in Pet this would have been a little more difficult.  It is a much smaller area and is not one that would easily accomodate my career in property managment and real estate.  Larger communities are much easier for us working woman and for my career choices.  I am very proud to say that I was only in Edmonton for two weeks and obtained my goal of retaining work in my field and I am making more money than I have ever made which increases our quality of life as a family.

I am sure that Pet is nice but for some of us it is scary as there isnt as much there.  It is the same as say Suffield or any other base located in a smaller community.  Not an ideal posting but hey we are military spouses and we will persevere no matter what is thrown our way.  We are strong individuals.

Cat Have you lived in Pet?

Can you be so sure you can't find a job, paying what your worth?

I reffer to HitorMrs post, not only did she find work within 2 weeks of starting to look she found one that pays a comparable salary as to what she was making when she traveled to Ottawa.

Unless you actually lived in Pet and couldn't find work don't sit there and tell those that do or soon will live here whats it's like to find or not find work.

To be perfectly frank, it is very very difficult for any military spouse to have a career.  I say this drawing a clear distinction from a career and a series of jobs (regardless of pay).  For example, it would have been impossible for me to pursue my legal career as a military spouse. 

That does not mean I was not able to find well paying jobs while married to a service member but the very notion of career implies a longevity with one employer that is frequently difficult to maintain for service spouses.  That being said, I have heard that the chartered banks are very good at accomodating service spouses as they move from base to base.

Satisfying, well paying jobs?  Absolutely.  Careers?  Unlikely.

If you work at it and compromise, I wouldn't say having a career is unlikely. 

Max

I don't believe that having a career is unlikely. Even though we have not been posted but in the very near future we may be posted to either Cold Lake or Winnipeg. If we do get posted, I have the opportunity to further my career and I assume that I will not have a problem finding work. But I guess this all depends on your education or Trade that you desire. But it is not unlikely. I know of many military spouses that enjoy a successful career and do get posted every 3 or 4 years. I guess I am lucky in that sense because my field is in very high demand even in the forces ( HE HE HE HE that is always an option)

I also guess that it is your interpretation of what a career is. We may not be able to stay with the same employer for 20 years but in my profession we normally don't. I have went from Gimili Manitoba( a small town in Manitoba), Calgary and to Edmonton. All of these moves have build upon my career and with the next posting my new job will also build on my career. I guess it is just how you look at thing in the long run.It is very tough but like others have said it takes work and lots of compromise.

Personally for me if we were ever to get posted even to PET. I am sure that I would be able to find a job in my chosen career with no problem. If I couldn't then like some posters have said I would look for work to suit my background.

Everything is possible it takes a lot of work ,sacrifice and a positive outlook. We can't help who we fell in love with but I wouldn't change this life for anything.

Petawawa is booming....althought there isn't really a lot of business there yet, housing developers are building as is it was going out of style.  700 or so homes are planned for construction down behind the Beer Store out to Laurentian Drive.  Another Sub-Division is going in off of Murphy Road on the flight path to Pembroke Airport.  This is all just in the last five or so months.  Other Businesses are moving into the area, although mostly in Pembroke......a whole 20 km away.  Judging from that alone, people who have never been to Petawawa, should have no judgemental input to the availability of jobs or Services.

Back