• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

END of an ERA (the wedge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
peaches said:
CADPAT and wedge, always looked goofy.  Flt suit and beret is not too bad.  When I was down in Tinker AFB on exchange we'd wear our beret with flt suit.  With our darkened sqn patches and the beret the Americans thought we were AF SOF types.... ;D

I was led to believe that the flt suit/beret combo was for Tachel/Seaking crews only, does anyone know if this is true???

It used to be an unspoken tradition in Tac Hel that we primarily wore the green (CF) beret (as allowed by the CFP265) but no one else in the Air Force seemed to (that I can remember)...it was considered blasphemous by the "Pure Blue", but since many tac aviators considered ourselves b**tard children of the AF anyway, we really weren't overly concerned with what others in the Air Force thought.  When the new DEU's started to trickle in in 87/88-ish and the blue beret replaced the green beret, a few more AF folks started to wear the beret...initially CELE Air and other support trades...then some non-Tac Hel operators, etc...  People can say what they like, but aside from a cool 50-mission hat (forage cap) crunched down over the ears, the beret, worn properly, tightly formed and agressively tilted forward far below the 2.5cm eyebrow spacing found in "the Dress Bible" (applicable to all wearers of the beret, BTW) speaks volumes of an Aviator's character.  Nothing will allow a soldier to judge an aviator more quickly and thoroughly than how he/she wears their beret (if they wear one at all)... ;D

G2G

Wedge wearers are not to be completely trusted.

It may be because I'm young and have a sense of style (just kidding), but wearing the beret with the flight suit looks way better than the wedge. I for one refuse to wear the wedge unless its absolutely required.

Welshy said:
It may be because I'm young and have a sense of style (just kidding), but wearing the beret with the flight suit looks way better than the wedge. I for one refuse to wear the wedge unless its absolutely required.
And there are those that say that there is no hope for the youth of today.

Now, if we could just get them to say "flying suit" (Canadian) instead of "flight suit" (US)...

Good2Golf said:
aside from a cool 50-mission hat (forage cap) crunched down over the ears,

Aside from a cool 50-mission cap or the really old-school leather helmet & goggles, the only thing that should ever touch an aviator's head is a carefully-chosen ball cap & David Clarks (or helmet), but alas, I don't get to write the dress manual! :mad: 

Loachman said:
Now, if we could just get them to say "flying suit" (Canadian) instead of "flight suit" (US)...

Or perhaps:

Suit, Flyers

Just to match that official NSN description??  >:D

I_am_John_Galt said:
Aside from a cool 50-mission cap or the really old-school leather helmet & goggles, the only thing that should ever touch an aviator's head is a carefully-chosen ball cap & David Clarks (or helmet), but alas, I don't get to write the dress manual! :mad: 

John, when you say "aviator's" head, do you mean just a pilot, or an "A"viator....because then a Gentex SPH5CF with AN/AVS-9 and HUD is also quite acceptable.  ;)

G2G

Good2Golf said:
John, when you say "aviator's" head, do you mean just a pilot, or an "A"viator....because then a Gentex SPH5CF with AN/AVS-9 and HUD is also quite acceptable.  ;)

G2G

s93.gif

going to work this morning I sure saw a lot of people wearing cadpat and wedge....I guess they're not enforcing till the deadline. Having said all that I observed a lot of berets that were improperly worn and really looked pretty bad.....maybe wedge was the lesser of two evils?

I haven't seen a wedge worn properly in a long time.  My grandfather used to stand "beside" his when he wasn't changing vacuum tube on Mossies in 409 Sqn...alot of people just wear the darned thing centered on their head and pushed way back...take a look at a few folks wearing wedges in their official CF photograph and you'll see what I mean...no more "jaunty angle" like back in the heydays...now it's more of a "blue mohawk"...yuck!

G2G

I have always wonder how you can wear that wedge and not mess up your hair. I know a lot of gel... but still...

j/k before someone kills me.

*runs away*

This message just came out, and since this topic was mentioned in an early post, thought I would keep it in this thread.

R 221533Z MAY 07
FM NDHQ CAS OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 092/07 CAS 022
SIC WAC
SUBJ: AIR FORCE/CANSOFCOM HEADDRESS POLICY
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
REF: A-AD-265-000/AG-001, CHAPTER 6
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO ANNOUNCE A CHANGE TO HEADDRESS
POLICY FOR AIR FORCE PERSONNEL SERVING WITH CANSOFCOM
2. IAW CHAP 6, PARA 5D OF REF, AIR FORCE PERSONNEL SERVING WITH CANSOFCOM
SHALL WEAR A WEDGE WITH TAN FLASH WITH CEREMONIAL DRESS DEU 1A (TUNIC
WITH MEDALS)
3. WITH ALL OTHER ORDERS OF DRESS, TAN BERET SHALL BE WORN
4. THIS MESSAGE SHOULD BE USED AS AUTHORITY UNTIL APPLICABLE AMENDMENTS
TO REF ARE REVISED
5. QUESTIONS TO BE DIRECTED TO THE EA CWO AF, MWO THIBEAULT AT (613)
995-0519
END OF ENGLISH TEXT/

Ahh nuts you beat me to it! Just saw CANFORGEN in my mailbox.  I think the beret looks good with flying suit especially the tan ones.

airmich said:
This message just came out, and since this topic was mentioned in an early post, thought I would keep it in this thread.

R 221533Z MAY 07
FM NDHQ CAS OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 092/07 CAS 022
SIC WAC
SUBJ: AIR FORCE/CANSOFCOM HEADDRESS POLICY
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
REF: A-AD-265-000/AG-001, CHAPTER 6
1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO ANNOUNCE A CHANGE TO HEADDRESS
POLICY FOR AIR FORCE PERSONNEL SERVING WITH CANSOFCOM
WITH MEDALS)
4. THIS MESSAGE SHOULD BE USED AS AUTHORITY UNTIL APPLICABLE AMENDMENTS
TO REF ARE REVISED
5. QUESTIONS TO BE DIRECTED TO THE EA CWO AF, MWO THIBEAULT AT (613)
995-0519
END OF ENGLISH TEXT/

So basically, non-CANSOFCOM pers can still wear the wedge in CADPAT?

Max

airmich said:
WITH MEDALS)

And DEU 1?

SupersonicMax said:
So basically, non-CANSOFCOM pers can still wear the wedge in CADPAT?

Max

No, this is specifically AIRCOM (CAS) directing Air Force DEU pers in CANSOFCOM to wear the wedge with tan flash with #1's (full dress DEU w/medals) vice the beret.  The "no wedge with CADPAT" is still in order for all Air Force personnel.

G2G 

Good2Golf said:
No, this is specifically AIRCOM (CAS) directing Air Force DEU pers in CANSOFCOM to wear the wedge with tan flash with #1's (full dress DEU w/medals) vice the beret.  The "no wedge with CADPAT" is still in order for all Air Force personnel.

G2G 

Is this message out yet? (sorry, I don't have access to the DIN on the NFTC Network)

Max

Max, I haven't seen it personally, but it pre-dates the Tan-flash CANAIRGEN, so it is on the street, so to speak.

G2G

Tan flash on a wedge? How much stupider can things get?

Somehow I can't see the Navy ordering anything that dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back