• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Hi, looking for some info on the fingerprint check. I lived in Japan for 2 years (2002-2004) and will be applying to have my enhanced reliabilty check done soon. What I'm wondering is, will they definately ask for a fingerprint check because I was overseas for 2 of the last 5 years? Has anyone been in this situtation and NOT been asked for fingerprints? I saw one poster say they "can" ask, and the gov't website says it "is required". I don't have a criminal record and have no problem with doing it, I'm just a little concerned about the time involved..13 months!! Is there any way to speed things up? I've got friends in japan (who are japanese), and could deliver the forms or something directly if I mailed them over..although they probably won't go for that  :)

I was not asked for finger prints, but I had a previous security clearance from government employment where they did ask me for them. So not sure.

Either way, finger prints are not an issue. If they need them they will ask for them. You can get your finger prints taken by the recruiting center or and local police station will take them for a small fee. It won't hold up your file.

I also lived outside Canada for two years in a NATO country and my clearance took 8 months long. There is nothing you can do to speed it up, believe me I looked into everything.

I don't think you can ask your friend to get police clearance certificate for you, if that's what you're thinking.  I'm now in Japan too and the police told me I will have to come back here myself to get the form in the future when I apply for the reserves, or that I'll have to leave everything for the Canadian embassy and the military to do the check, which will take a long long loooong time... I thought about getting the certificate right before leaving here and bring it to Canada, but they say I first need an official form from the CF that says I need that form for security clearance, which I can't.  Too complicated, now I just gave up.  I don't think there's anyway you can speed things up, as Pieman said.

bmacd said:
Hi, looking for some info on the fingerprint check. I lived in Japan for 2 years (2002-2004) and will be applying to have my enhanced reliabilty check done soon. What I'm wondering is, will they definately ask for a fingerprint check because I was overseas for 2 of the last 5 years? Has anyone been in this situtation and NOT been asked for fingerprints? I saw one poster say they "can" ask, and the gov't website says it "is required". I don't have a criminal record and have no problem with doing it, I'm just a little concerned about the time involved..13 months!! Is there any way to speed things up? I've got friends in japan (who are japanese), and could deliver the forms or something directly if I mailed them over..although they probably won't go for that   :)

Out of Country CRNC: In order for DPM Secur 2 to be able to conduct international criminal records checks a completed set of fingerprints must be submitted to DPM Secur 2 who in turn forwards them to the RCMP. The RCMP then liaises with their respective police counterparts through INTERPOL. It is important to note that this process can take anywhere from several months to in excess of one year to complete, and in some cases the checks may be extremely difficult or even impossible to conduct/obtain in some countries.

The recruiting centre will arrange for the fingerprints to be taken at the local MP Det.  As an example I had an applicant who worked in South Korea for a year during the last five years and it took one year for them to tell me that they couldn't do the checks because there is no agreement with South Korea to do criminal checks on each other's citizens.

kincanucks said:
The recruiting centre will arrange for the fingerprints to be taken at the local MP Det.   As an example I had an applicant who worked in South Korea for a year during the last five years and it took one year for them to tell me that they couldn't do the checks because there is no agreement with South Korea to do criminal checks on each other's citizens.

Just out of curiosity, what happens in those cases ?  Can the application go forward ?

oittoi said:
Yes, what happens then?   I have residence record in South Korea and Japan as well.   Kincanaucks's post just freaked me out!   What happened to that guy eventually?     :'(

A reliability screening is a systematic method of confirming that an individual can be expected to be reliable and trustworthy in the performance of duties and in the protection of the assets and interests of the CF and its personnel. The Reliability Check is a distinct and separate process identified by the Government Security Policy (GSP) and is not to be confused with the Security Clearance process. The Enhanced Reliability Status (ERS) is a mandatory condition of enrolment in the Canadian Regular and Reserve Force and as such will be conducted on all applicants processed by the CFRCs/Dets (including component transfer applicants) (Ref. NDSP Ch 35 35.12 & 35.40).

Approving authorities for conferral or denial of Enhanced Reliability Status regarded as a condition of enrolment in the Canadian Forces are the Recruiting Centres' commanding officers, detachment commanders and commanding officers of enrolling Units. Any delegation of this authority to another officer of the unit must be made in writing.

Checks to be conducted must be identified on the Personnel Screening Consent and Authorization Form (TBS 330-23, Rev. 2002/07) and must include the following:
Verification of personal data (including date of birth and address).
Verification of relevant education and professional qualifications.
Verification of employment data.
Criminal Records Name Check (CRNC).
Credit Check.
The verification of employment data and the reference checks must cover the previous five continuous years. A decision to grant Enhanced Reliability Status must be based on adequate information. Where such information does not exist, or cannot be obtained, ERS cannot be granted. The reliability screening procedure shall not be initiated until the applicant provides consent by completing, signing and dating Section C and initialing rows 1-7 of the Personnel Screening Consent and Authorization Form.

Informing the Applicant: Individuals who will be the subject of a reliability screening shall, prior to its commencement, be informed of the following:
a. That their previous employment, personal history as well as educational and professional qualifications will be subject to verification;
b. The possible consequences of this verification where false or misleading statements have been made (i.e., denial of ERS);
c. That they will be given an opportunity by the approving authority to explain adverse information before a decision is rendered;
d. That the approving authority will provide the reason why the individual is being denied Enhanced Reliability Status (unless the information is exempt under the Privacy Act); and
e. That recourse is available through normal civilian redress mechanisms such as appeal to the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

Criminal Records Name Check (CRNC): In order to determine whether the applicant has in the past committed crimes that would indicate unacceptable risk in relation to the duties to be performed, a criminal record check will be conducted and fingerprints submitted after the conditional offer of employment (COE) is signed by the applicant. DPM Secur 2 provides assistance in the Reliability Screening process by conducting the CRNC and then returning the results of these checks to the CFRC/Det in order to assist the ERS approval authority in determining the applicant's reliability. It is important to note that the results of these checks will only cover the period for which the applicant has resided in Canada, because the Canadian Police Identification Centre (CPIC) data bank contains info/data for residents of Canada only. The following CRNC guidelines apply:
a. For all reliability screening, a declaration shall be obtained as to whether an individual has been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted. The Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination with respect to employment based on a pardoned conviction. Further, the Criminal Records Act specifies that no application form or employment documentation within the federal civil service, a Crown Corporation, the Canadian Forces or any business within federal legislative authority shall contain any question requiring a pardon recipient to reveal a pardoned conviction.   Therefore, care must be taken not to inquire about a criminal offence for which a pardon has been granted.
b. The existence of a criminal record can be but need not be sufficient grounds to deny reliability status. A criminal record should be considered in light of such matters as the nature and frequency of the behaviour or offence, the duties and tasks to be performed, the probable access to designated information or assets, the passage of time, and the possibility that only a portion of the activity has been identified or reported.
c. The approving authority will need to determine both the person's attitude towards the unpardoned offence(s) and the extent to which the applicant has changed behaviour in this regard, and the likely recurrence of similar offenses and their potential effect upon job reliability.
d. The Criminal Code of Canada, Section 748(3), prohibits anyone who has been convicted of an offence under Section 135, Frauds on the Government; Section 124, Selling or Purchasing Office; or Section 418, Selling Defective Stores to her Majesty, from holding public office, unless a pardon has been granted.
e. Applicants who have been convicted of a Sexual Misconduct offence under the Criminal Code or the Code of Service Discipline may only be enrolled with a waiver from Comd CFRG. CFAO 19-36 defines sexual misconduct as an act, which has a sexual purpose or is of a sexual or indecent nature. Examples of sexual misconduct include, but are not limited to; sexual activity between consenting adults under prohibited circumstances, sexual abuse of a child, incest, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, indecent exposure and bestiality. COs of CFRCs will forward waiver requests to CFRG attention RPSO for staffing. Waiver requests will include details of the offence as well as substantiation for granting the waiver. Substantiation should include the outcome of treatment if applicable, as well as the results of reference checks and any other information relevant to the case.
f. Due to the fact that checks conducted with external depts/agencies (CSIS, RCMP, and Credit Bureau of Canada) can be done via electronic interface only, all requests for a CRNC will be submitted to DPM Secur 2 using DND's Security Clearance Processing System (SCPS).

Denial of Enhanced Reliability Status: In arriving at a reliability screening decision, officials are expected to provide a fair and objective assessment that respects the rights of the individual. Individuals must be given an opportunity to explain adverse information before a decision is reached. Unless the information is exempt under the Privacy Act, individuals must be given the reasons why they have been denied reliability status. Information bearing on the reliability of applicants is sensitive information. This information, together with the identity of the sources, shall be protected in accordance with the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act.

Right to Redress: The individual is also to be advised of the right to redress. Applicants to the CF may complain to the Canadian Human Rights Commission, the Public Service Commission's Investigations Directorate or the Federal Court, Trial Division, according to the specifics of each case.

All this to say that if the approving authority does not have sufficient information in which to determine an individual's reliability then they can deny that individual Enhanced Reliability Status.   If the individual redresses the decision then it only makes sense that the individual will have to prove their reliability and to do that they will have to provide the missing information.

PS Another important point to consider is that if you have to get pass the ERS phase to move on to the pre-sec phase which will take even longer to complete.

Hmm..has anyone heard of a case where these fingerprints were not required? Maybe they didnt see anything else during my check that aroused suspicion, so they decided to grant it based on that.. Kincanucks, you seem to be an authority on this matter..any thoughts? Any chance at all  a verbal request could be made to the overseas country? You'd think that, considering I have a western name and lived in a foreign country, it would be very easy to spot if I had a record for anything. Ugh..this is very depressing. I was hoping to get the ball rolling on this soon, and now I might have to wait a year..just to find out they couldn't do the check!!  :crybaby:

:-\ I am a grade 11 student in Toronto, Ont. and I have the intention to join the Royal Military College after high school. I thought it would be wise to begin BMQ training this summer and recently recieved my application form for the 25th Service Battalion. I came across the Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment sheet with discern, as I have not resided in Canada continuously for the past 10 years (more like 6 years 9 months). On the document it states that processing could take a further 6 to 18 months, which would be a major setback for my application for BMQ & SQ this summer as well as my future application to RMC.

Any ideas? Thanks for the input :)

why not call me ... the 25 service battalion recruiter...

Have you resided outside of Canada because you were accompanying your parents for work purposes?

If so, you will be able to skip the pre security assessment.

Have you lived in Canada for 10 years, but not consecutivley?

CFN. Orange said:
why not call me ... the 25 service battalion recruiter...

Have you resided outside of Canada because you were accompanying your parents for work purposes?

If so, you will be able to skip the pre security assessment.

Have you lived in Canada for 10 years, but not consecutivley?

lol Whoa, what were the odds of that ;) Thank you for your reply. No, I resided in Sydney Australia before moving to Toronto in August of '98. It seems I'm in a bit of a pickle with this one. Out of curiousity, your rank, sir? I recieved my recruitment information from MCpl Singh a week ago :)

Check out a few of our threads on that question:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28931.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/29187.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/29398.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25272.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/20990.0.html

And there are more, just use the Search Function up top there and you should find answers to questions you have yet to ask.

I have to fill out a Security Clearance Form (TBS/SCT 330-60E; Rev. 2002/07). I have the paper version of it, however I am wondering if there is also a PDF version of the form (and yes I did a search). Thanks in advance.

all the security clearance forms can be filled put online if you have DIN access. Thats how i filled out my level 3 application.  Clerks should be able to point you in the right direction for that.  Thast what was done for me.

bmacd said:
Hmm..has anyone heard of a case where these fingerprints were not required? Maybe they didnt see anything else during my check that aroused suspicion, so they decided to grant it based on that.. Kincanucks, you seem to be an authority on this matter..any thoughts? Any chance at all   a verbal request could be made to the overseas country? You'd think that, considering I have a western name and lived in a foreign country, it would be very easy to spot if I had a record for anything. Ugh..this is very depressing. I was hoping to get the ball rolling on this soon, and now I might have to wait a year..just to find out they couldn't do the check!!   :crybaby:

Go back to my other posts. If the person deciding if you should be given a ERS doesn't have all the information what do think he/she should do?   From your original post you have only been back in the country for one year? If it was me trying to decide then you prove to me that you didn't have any legal problems while you were outside Canada and you are good to go.   If not you are SOL and nobody from a CFRC/D is going to phoning overseas to check you out.   Good luck.

ROTP Civi U said:
I have to fill out a Security Clearance Form (TBS/SCT 330-60E; Rev. 2002/07). I have the paper version of it, however I am wondering if there is also a PDF version of the form (and yes I did a search). Thanks in advance.

Go here and look under security:

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/tbsf-fsct_e.asp

Kincanucks, cheers.. appreciate your input on this..well aside from showing my passport to prove I wasn't deported for anything, I can't think of any ways to prove I didn't have any legal trouble overseas..unless I tried to organize and have something sent from Japan ASAP and pre-empt any concerns. Although another poster mentioned he considered that but they wouldn't go for it. Unless you've seen something in your experience that other applicants have done, because I'm out of ideas  :( Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and settle in for the long wait..

Dirt Digger said:
I was never finger printed during the recruiting process (from Res to Reg), but did have it all done in St-Jean when they took my ID photo.

I am sorry but what the heck does whether you had to be fingerprinted during the recruiting process have anything to do with this thread?  Where you outside the country also?

Hey All:

This is a question for Kincanucks or any that may be able to answer this question.  I am currently awaiting the return of my medical file, and was wondering what getting a US/Cdn Dual citizenship would do to my application process.  Or how it would affect me if i got it after i entered the army.  My Dad is an American citizen, as are the rest of his side of the family.  My Dad lives in Canada but the rest of his side of the family are all in the United States.  Also my Dad served 3 years in the American Air Force, my Uncle served 3 years in the US Navy and my Grandpa served 3 years in the second world war.  I thought that might be relevant considering I'm joining the Canadian Army Reg Forces, and that was all in the United States.  Would this maybe be something I could phone the recruiting centre to enquire about.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Cheers :salute: :cdn:

So it wouldn't be a bad thing, it would be okay to go ahead and get it?  And do you know if the United States would ever be able to then draft me in the future (that is if they ever re-instated that law). 

Back