• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Everything KeLouJoH knows [Split from other threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeLouJoH

Reaction score
I believe that the last time I looked, the Canadian forces' age requirements for new recruits were between 18 and 45. I am in my 40s. Just wondering if I should still apply? I kind of have this fear that I shouldn't bother, that I am too old for them.

A bankruptcy definitely can impact security clearance. But the point of a security clearance is to assess risk, e.g. of corruption, compromise, blackmail, etc. If you’ve been handling everything on the up and up, and particularly if your bankruptcy is discharged, it need not be a show stopper.
Wow, I didn't know that they also looked at one's financial status like that. Sounds like the clearance process is really vigorous.

I have never filed for bankruptcy ever, however my credit score is not very good. Do they look at that too?

As long as it doesn't interfere with your studies or making you late for classes, I say go for it. It sounds like a good way to squeeze some work-out into your routine.

I am just wondering if the armed forces administer some type of intelligence tests or maybe IQ tests, to applicants? If yes, what are the cut-offs for the various branches? I imagine the scores required would vary depending on the role that one seeks, which would make sense.

No IQ test is required. Your CFAT test will somehow determine what trade you're eligible to.

No IQ test is required. Your CFAT test will somehow determine what trade you're eligible to.
Thank you sir for the response.

I have never taken the CFAT. Compared to the general IQ tests available, is it harder or easier?

I have never taken the CFAT. Compared to the general IQ tests available, is it harder or easier?
It's different. You have 3 different categories in the test; Verbal skills, spatial ability and problem solving.

There's plenty info available and a test you can try out online as well.

It's different. You have 3 different categories in the test; Verbal skills, spatial ability and problem solving.

There's plenty info available and a test you can try out online as well.
Appreciate it.

the age requirements are actually 16 with parental permission to 57 (for infantry), as this gives you just enough time to finish the initial infantry contract. If you were going med tech, the max age would be 54 as it requires a 6 year contract. Depending on the trade you want, the max age will vary. You won't know if you are too old unless you apply!

CFAT stands for Canadian Forces Aptitude Test. If you have never applied, it makes sense that you have never taken it.

Wow, I didn't know that they also looked at one's financial status like that. Sounds like the clearance process is really vigorous.

I have never filed for bankruptcy ever, however my credit score is not very good. Do they look at that too?

My understanding is yes they do, but mediocre credit on its own shouldn’t be a show stopper, particularly if you’re making payments. Remember that it’s a risk assessment. They want to make sure they don’t get burned by someone who might succumb to financial pressures and become corrupt. It has definitely happened.

I believe that the last time I looked, the Canadian forces' age requirements for new recruits were between 18 and 45. I am in my 40s. Just wondering if I should still apply? I kind of have this fear that I shouldn't bother, that I am too old for them.
I'm almost 40 and joining back in the Reserve. I served back Regular when I was 19-20. It's never too late to jump back in the bandwagon ;)

My understanding is yes they do, but mediocre credit on its own shouldn’t be a show stopper, particularly if you’re making payments. Remember that it’s a risk assessment. They want to make sure they don’t get burned by someone who might succumb to financial pressures and become corrupt. It has definitely happened.
Ah. I see what they are trying to do and it makes sense.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Also, 57 sounds really old to still be able to enlist. Someone this age is almost ready to retire.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Also, 57 sounds really old to still be able to enlist. Someone this age is almost ready to retire.
Who cares? If they feel like they wanna join, and are fit enough to survive BMQ at that age, more power to them. Maybe serving a few years IS their retirement dream? Maybe they just wanna see what all the fuss is about. Technically you could join reserves at 59, since they don’t have contracts like the reg F does.

There was a few people in my BMQ who were 50 and they smoked the young kids in everything including PT, because they had life experience to draw on.

Who cares? If they feel like they wanna join, and are fit enough to survive BMQ at that age, more power to them. Maybe serving a few years IS their retirement dream? Maybe they just wanna see what all the fuss is about. Technically you could join reserves at 59, since they don’t have contracts like the reg F does.

There was a few people in my BMQ who were 50 and they smoked the young kids in everything including PT, because they had life experience to draw on.
What's PT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back