• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EV's, Gas/Oil, and The Future- another swerve split from- JT Hints Boosting Canada’s Military Spending

It’s kind of curious that many smaller trucks like the Ranger or Colorado have worse fuel mileage than some full size F150s and Silverado 1500s. I mean, isn’t the advantage of a smaller truck supposed to be utility with fuel mileage?

Technological advances are wonderful things...

These Are The 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Pickup Trucks For 2024, Data Shows​

In years past it was a given that buying a pickup truck, especially a full-size behemoth, meant getting chummy with the local gas station attendants. Their pitiful fuel economy ratings were eclipsed in this regard by unaffordable exotic cars from the likes of Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Rolls-Royce that packed thirsty V10 and V12 engines.

But somewhere on the way to an ownership cycle dominated by frequent (and frequently expensive) fill-ups, the pickup’s reputation as a gas guzzler is beginning to change. While some of the heaviest haulers still exact a penalty at the pump for their powerful engines and top tow ratings, the use of smaller turbocharged engines and the latest powertrain technology are making some models more fuel efficient than ever.

For example, the subcompact car-based Ford Maverick with its available 2.5-liter hybrid powertrain is EPA-rated at a genuinely frugal 42 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. But turbos aren’t limited to only small trucks. The Maverick’s big brother, the full-size Ford F150, can achieve as much as 22 city/24 mpg highway via its 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission, with little lost in terms of performance.

I think most mid-size truck buyers get them for the size, more than the fuel economy. I know when I went from a Ram 1500 to a Frontier it was about size. The Frontier was much easier to get around in a city with than the larger truck.
A crew cab and 8’ bed will do that to ya… 😉…at least you didn’t have dualies… 😆

Technological advances are wonderful things...

These Are The 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Pickup Trucks For 2024, Data Shows​

In years past it was a given that buying a pickup truck, especially a full-size behemoth, meant getting chummy with the local gas station attendants. Their pitiful fuel economy ratings were eclipsed in this regard by unaffordable exotic cars from the likes of Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Rolls-Royce that packed thirsty V10 and V12 engines.

But somewhere on the way to an ownership cycle dominated by frequent (and frequently expensive) fill-ups, the pickup’s reputation as a gas guzzler is beginning to change. While some of the heaviest haulers still exact a penalty at the pump for their powerful engines and top tow ratings, the use of smaller turbocharged engines and the latest powertrain technology are making some models more fuel efficient than ever.

For example, the subcompact car-based Ford Maverick with its available 2.5-liter hybrid powertrain is EPA-rated at a genuinely frugal 42 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. But turbos aren’t limited to only small trucks. The Maverick’s big brother, the full-size Ford F150, can achieve as much as 22 city/24 mpg highway via its 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission, with little lost in terms of performance.

My 2003 ram 2500 use to get 18-20mpg around town, 20-24mpg highway. Untill the dealer flashed the ecm then I got a steady 15mpg no matter what.
17-19mpg towing 10,000 lbs.
My 2005 was a steady 14-15mpg
My 2012 is 11-24mpg depending on the day of the week and weather. Towing does not make much of a difference. Random all over the place.

My friends 2015 ram 1500 is 22mpg around town and 25mpg highway.

My friends VW Golf is 40-55mpg highway amd 35mpg city.

We have walked backwards in fuel efficiency over the past many years. Only to end up where we were right now.
The capability exists for better fuel milage. But they won't (They =government) allow it.

My 2003 ram 2500 use to get 18-20mpg around town, 20-24mpg highway. Untill the dealer flashed the ecm then I got a steady 15mpg no matter what.
My 2012 is 11-24mpg depending on the day of the week and weather. Towing does not make much of a difference. Random all over the place.

We have walked backwards in fuel efficiency over the past many years. Only to end up where we were right now.
The capability exists for better fuel milage. But they won't (They =government) allow it.
Do you have as much ethanol in your gas up there as we do down here?
I don’t pay attention this summer when I was up in Canada, and I can never remember L/KM rates as opposed to MPG.

As I said above, we have the mandated fuel mileage standards to thank for that.

Canadian and US government tell the auto makers that the average fuel mileage of their line-up has to be x mpg. Auto makers used to have to work on reducing the fuel mileage of most of their vehicles, plus have a compact and sub-compact model to bring their average mpg down.

Now with the advent of the hybrid and EV, automakers can reach that mpg standard without selling small cars or improving the mpg of other vehicles in their lineup. Instead of updating the fuel mileage standards to reflect this, government is just saying “Good job automakers! Now let us subsidize you to build more overpriced EVs!”

Canadian and US government tell the auto makers that the average fuel mileage of their line-up has to be x mpg. Auto makers used to have to work on reducing the fuel mileage of most of their vehicles, plus have a compact and sub-compact model to bring their average mpg down.

Now with the advent of the hybrid and EV, automakers can reach that mpg standard without selling small cars or improving the mpg of other vehicles in their lineup. Instead of updating the fuel mileage standards to reflect this, government is just saying “Good job automakers! Now let us subsidize you to build more overpriced EVs!”
Would definitely be worth changing that regulation to specify ICE and hybrid vehicles, with separate goals for each.

Would definitely be worth changing that regulation to specify ICE and hybrid vehicles, with separate goals for each.

:)

new here willy wonka GIF

I don't expect prius milage from my Coyote V8.

And when I'm buying a new truck I don't neven look at or bring up milage.

Having said that, I am happy with the range I get out of my truck, especially when I compare it to what I can do with it.

I don't expect prius milage from my Coyote V8.

And when I'm buying a new truck I don't neven look at or bring up milage.

Having said that, I am happy with the range I get out of my truck, especially when I compare it to what I can do with it.
That makes two of us. Love my Ram.

I think the honeymoon phase of EVs is waning - until better battery tech is developed and charging stations are installed I don't think we'll see as many EVs sold as the GoC would like....

I think the honeymoon phase of EVs is waning - until better battery tech is developed and charging stations are installed I don't think we'll see as many EVs sold as the GoC would like....

I think you're right. Not yet anyways.

Also until they can get a battery to rumble like a V8 or a Diesel, I think I'll stick with ICE.

I know for my diesels the clean air mandate they have makes such a difference. If you load a South American tune the milage goes to the mid 20's into 30s. Getting that tune is next to impossible.

I don't think they set milage rates specifically. But they declare clean air credits/ mandates. Which makes manufactures have to choose where to invest the money.

That makes two of us. Love my Ram.

To private drivers, maybe not. There's plenty of room for pushing the sort of large fleet operators (e.g., Amazon) who can rely on their vehicles staying in a certain radius and coming back to the same lot every night to adopt EVs or electric-focused hybrids.

To private drivers, maybe not. There's plenty of room for pushing the sort of large fleet operators (e.g., Amazon) who can rely on their vehicles staying in a certain radius and coming back to the same lot every night to adopt EVs or electric-focused hybrids.
And interesting that Canada hasn’t legislated the Amazon/UPS/FedEx/Purolators in Canada to use all-EV fleets…

True, but the upfront cost for multiple charging stations will not insignificant. Probably more likely in urban areas, at least to begin; routes in the rurals can get pretty long. Does Amazon even have their own fleet? I've never seen one. Up here it mostly a local company driving clapped-out Dodge minivans.

True, but the upfront cost for multiple charging stations will not insignificant. Probably more likely in urban areas, at least to begin; routes in the rurals can get pretty long. Does Amazon even have their own fleet? I've never seen one. Up here it mostly a local company driving clapped-out Dodge minivans.
They own tens of thousands of delivery vans…

There's plenty of room for pushing the sort of large fleet operators (e.g., Amazon) who can rely on their vehicles staying in a certain radius and coming back to the same lot every night to adopt EVs or electric-focused hybrids.
That thinking doesn't seem to work so well for cities (like Edmonton) who have (foolishly) bought electric bus fleets. They're not getting the endurance that they were led to expect, especially in cold weather, plus other problems like manufacturers going out of business.

Hybrid vehicles, maybe, if suitable ones exist and there is a market demand, but depleted batteries always lead to disappointment.

Or so she told me . . .

. . . until . . . charging stations are installed . . .
And sufficient reliable energy production (nuclear, hydro, natural gas, coal etcetera) plus transmission lines have been built and paid for.

I love the videos on Youtube that show Tesla etcetera owners pulling their generators out of their trunks to recharge on the side of the highway.

The best was the fellow who also had an empty jerry can. The chap who filmed that one had stopped to render assistance and was laughing for the whole time. He gave that victim of EV folly his jerry can and was still laughing when he drove away.

I went from a Frontier to a Kona, and while I saved a lot on gas, I lost almost all utility. That's one of the things the eco-downsizers don't like to talk about. When I was doing road trips with a girlfriend, there wasn't enough room for both of us to put our bags behind the back seat, so the back seat had to hold bags. When going camping, I need to fold down the back seat just to fit the cooler and other gear.
I decided the extra money was worth it and went with the Crosstrek over the Kona or Seltos- and 95% of the time I have no regrets. Cottage week with two carseats? Boy that's tight, and there was some triage to pare down what went with us.

Pretty much talked myself into upgrading into Ranger or fullsize SUV by next year, then my Dad made me feel silly by pointing out that the cost comparison between a 40k vehicle purchase and a 25% tourist premium on groceries for 1 week of the year isn't particularly close.

Back