• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fantino in/out of VAC: changes in DM/other staff (merged)

The arrogant jerk failed to even recognize her. The least he could have done was have one of the many people with him get her contact info and apologize for not being able to stop.

Everything they're spending $4 mil + on in advertising sounds great til you call 1-866-522-2122 (VAC). Once the phone is picked up on their end, everything turns into a total clusterfuck.

Crispy Bacon said:
::) Another attention w***e who the media is more than happy to oblige with 15 minutes of fame. Seriously, how can you ambush a minister outside a committee meeting (conveniently with cameras waiting) and complain when he can't won't stop to talk to you?

Crispy Bacon said:
We can't talk out of both sides of our mouthes.  We complained that we didn't know what benefits were available, who to contact, etc.  Well, they're increasing advertising now to let us know.  And we're upset that the advertising budget is too high?
Good point.  The question becomes:  what are the ads advertising?  "Here's what's out there" or "lookit how good we are"?  Haven't seen the ads in question, so I stand to be educated.

recceguy said:
Everything they're spending $4 mil + on in advertising sounds great til you call 1-866-522-2122 (VAC). Once the phone is picked up on their end, everything turns into a total clusterfuck.
Zackly - rubber, meet road.

Maybe if Fantino hadn't ignored her repeatedly Jenny Migneault wouldn't be losing her crap. This is not her first time on the Hill. MacKay promised many things to spouses of completely disabled vets. I have the emails to prove it. Not one was kept of course.

Programs in pamphlets do not equal actual benefits. Remember the useless millions stuffed into the last post fund but the completely unchanged eligibility requirements? Education is the same story.  They approve a tiny handful and refuse the rest for bureaucratic reasons. How many degrees have been paid for by VAC for disabled vets? The last count I heard was three. How about the fiasco of Priority Hiring,.... Need I go on?

http://www.rockthehill.ca/

"Canada's Veterans are planning on going to Ottawa on June 4th to protest the total breach of trust that this government has shown towards us and the disregard of the sacred oath that has been in place since World War I.

We also plan to enlighten the public on the amount of misinformation that this government is putting out with documented proof.

By doing so we will be showing this government that we are no longer going to just stand by and take the continued mistreatment of our rights.

You don't have to be a Vet, or have anything to do with the military, to show your support. Actually, the more civilians the better.

This will not be just a one-day event, as we plan on staying as long as it takes. "

I don't have much time for Fantino, but I can sympathize with him if I were be be "ambushed" in a hallway on the way to a meeting.  There is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and that ambush with the media was not the right way.  As for four million towards advertizing, that is a drop in the bucket, and may be something that is necessary to get the word out to Veterans who need assistance.

Here is a Release that just hit the airwaves:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

Oye! News from Canada
Fantino Says Government to Improve Veteran Benefits
Category: Canada Published on Thursday, 29 May 2014 16:26 Written by Sam Dixon

The government finally decided to answer the increasing criticism about mistreatment of veterans on Thursday, as it announced to unveil new improved benefits. According to an announcement by the Veterans Affairs Minister, Julian Fantino, he's prepared to implement recommendations from a Commons committee studying the New Veterans Charter, which has been panned in some circles.

Addressing the committee, Fantino alleged that "I think the outcome of the review will no doubt address some of the shortcomings in the charter." He added that "what we want to do and what I believe you are trying to do...is to find a way to make it more inclusive, more comprehensive and more effective or beneficial...I'm committed to doing that as well." Fantino had requested the committee to review the charter to address complaints from veterans who say they're being short-changed. In addition to that, Fantino was also blamed for increasing the department's advertising budget by $4 million because opposition MPs claimed that the money should instead go to vets. NDP MP Peter Stoffer claimed to have received several complaints about numerous ads he said were more political than about helping veterans. Liberal MP Frank Valeriote accused the government of promoting itself.

However, rejecting all accusations, Fantino pointed out that the budget was increased to counter "misinformation, miscommunication, confusion and the lack of awareness" about what services are available. He explained that "it's not about advertising on behalf of government," but “it's just trying to reach those who are committed and dedicated to serve and help."

Things like this don't happen at the waving of a magic wand, so this must have been in the works for some time.  Now, I await some of those obnoxious "Veteran's Rights" personalities who claim to be the advocates for all veterans and Veteran's Rights to claim it as one of their 'victories'.  (Note the Date Time Group of the publication and then the time when the ambush in the hallway occurred.)

milnews.ca said:
Good point.  The question becomes:  what are the ads advertising?  "Here's what's out there" or "lookit how good we are"?  Haven't seen the ads in question, so I stand to be educated.

This link had the ad when I last viewed it http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/13/julian-fantino-veterans-affairs-ad-nhl_n_5319349.html

I've also read that there appears to be issues with no one answering the number given in the ad how true that is I don't know. The ad does not say anything about any benefits available to vets other than call this number for more info. What I find very odd is that the ad talks about transition out of the military so really its targeting members heading out the door not vets already released. Also if your headed for a release you are given this info numerous times. IMO 4 million completely wasted.

Hey Teager, I agree with you... "IMO 4 million completely wasted." As I hear VAC awareness ads on radio stations, or see them for websites recently, they lead one to as much indepth transparency as the VAC site has. If someone is seeking indepth benefits or support, find the policy documents. They are in legalese but binding. They are not advertised very well. Every iota of a VAC benefit has a policy document. But hardly any vets seems to know of them.

pinger206

Rock the Hill

pinger206

pinger206 said:
Rock the Hill

Have you checked out that website; http://www.rockthehill.ca/

I don't know if I would seriously trust some of those characters to represent me.  Mike Blais is controversial enough with his agenda, but when I see the photos of Rob Gallant and Kenneth H. Young, I become quite skeptical about whom or what they are trying to represent.  I doubt passing oneself off looking like a "Court Jester" does any cause any good. 

There are some very fine people being presented on that site as being Keynote Speakers, whom many of us know and respect, and I wonder if their photos and bios may have been added to that site under less than ethical circumstances.

Teager said:
This link had the ad when I last viewed it http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/13/julian-fantino-veterans-affairs-ad-nhl_n_5319349.html

I've also read that there appears to be issues with no one answering the number given in the ad how true that is I don't know. The ad does not say anything about any benefits available to vets other than call this number for more info. What I find very odd is that the ad talks about transition out of the military so really its targeting members heading out the door not vets already released. Also if your headed for a release you are given this info numerous times. IMO 4 million completely wasted.
Thanks for sharing the link.

While it shares some info, if the phone # it shares leads to "your call is important to us" heartache, I'm not convinced this is going to help a lot of folks realize there's stuff out there for them.

Then again, it doesn't look like a "lookit how s**t hot the government has been in helping vets", either.

To George Wallace,
      I may respect your opinion in more than one way. Truly, different degree's, slants or motives? Bear in mind an openmind can also be that of the understated... Anyone come to mind? Foresight begets hindsight 20/20.... I bear that in mind as it has served me well.
    If someone seems unorthodox or different in their approach just listen for a while. Give them their speak and time. I hope you are not of the opin that every vet needs to be 2 fingers above the collar? Or that the Rock the Hill main website shows some pictures that are not... DND photo's? Stiff upper lip? Think I'll vist Bruce Moncur, maybe he has a better hairstylist because my hair needs help. I pulled all mine out dealing with VAC. Appearances count for squat, mine are just fine but my integrity is getting peeved off by the Government of Canada so I will go to Ottawa.

Respectfully... pinger206.

Rock the Hill

"MONEY"......"Give us money"....."we want money".......all starting to sound like the same drivel to me.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
"MONEY"......"Give us money"....."we want money".......all starting to sound like the same drivel to me.
Maybe Chief Spence will be their technical advisor.  :nod:

I noticed that lady who ambushed Fantino is listed as a speaker at Rock the Hill. Looks more and more like a manufactured publicity stunt using her outrage as a pawn to get media looking at VAC again before this week's event.

Let's get back on track here. I don't care much who or why manages to portray the Min of VA as a ponce and jester. I don't care who exposes him or how. He's, to put it as simple as possible, a sinking turd.

His ads are bullshit. They're a feel good piece for the public consumption. The Vets already know what's available and how to access it. The problems, as I said earlier, start when you call VAC. Then the walls go up.

And if the commercials truly are for those Vets that don't know, they say what's available, but once again, not how to access it.

Waste of money and more Fantino bullshit. However, given all the scandals he's skated from, (Caledonia anyone? ::) ) he is now simply being hired as a professional scapegoat. Willing to take the heat for whatever master pays him the most. He has become a master himself, of obfuscation, confusion and downright deceit.

A pox on his house.

milnews.ca said:

If you go to http://www.veterans.gc.ca/services, one of the ads is at the upper left.  They're advertising Career Transition Services (CTS).

VAC CTS used to be offered to both serving and released personnel, up to two years after release.  Sometime within the last few years, VAC offloaded the responsibility for CTS for serving members to DND.  Not sure what DND covers now for serving members under the CTS umbrella.

VAC assumed full responsibility for the CTS for released members; they're eligible for the services up to two years after release.

Now, I can't speak for how it is now, but three years ago when I was preparing for release...

- details of CTS services available were covered during SCAN seminars
- details of CTS services were provided when you had your release interview with a VAC rep, which was a mandatory tick in the box for your release
- details of CTS services were provided by caseworkers when you were getting a medical release

About the only way you could release without hearing about CTS was if you wilfully ignored information being given to you.

The CTS commercials are beyond redundant and a total waste of money.

Occam said:
If you go to http://www.veterans.gc.ca/services, one of the ads is at the upper left.  They're advertising Career Transition Services (CTS).

VAC CTS used to be offered to both serving and released personnel, up to two years after release.  Sometime within the last few years, VAC offloaded the responsibility for CTS for serving members to DND.  Not sure what DND covers now for serving members under the CTS umbrella.

VAC assumed full responsibility for the CTS for released members; they're eligible for the services up to two years after release.

Now, I can't speak for how it is now, but three years ago when I was preparing for release...

- details of CTS services available were covered during SCAN seminars
- details of CTS services were provided when you had your release interview with a VAC rep, which was a mandatory tick in the box for your release
- details of CTS services were provided by caseworkers when you were getting a medical release

About the only way you could release without hearing about CTS was if you wilfully ignored information being given to you.

The CTS commercials are beyond redundant and a total waste of money.

Hades has indeed turned H2O from liquid to solid.

I knew we'd eventually agree on something  8)

recceguy said:
Hades has indeed turned H2O from liquid to solid.

I knew we'd eventually agree on something  8)

I was going to say the same thing, but I figured I'd only jinx myself.  ;)

Back