• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fast track for Immigration by joining the CF

bcbar...
Yes, going back several years, individuals who were landed immigrants could be enrolled as ORs.  You have always had to be a Citzen of Canada to become an officer

You have always had to be a Citizen of Canada to become an officer.

Geo,

So you're telling me that if a landed immigrant is a DOCTOR with an MD from his home country, upon his enrollment since he has a skill the CF needs, he will STILL be an NCM just because he's not yet a citizen? So we introduce a doctor MOC for NCMs? Or is that doctor just placed in the Medical Technician MOC/Nurse MOC for the time being until he gets his citizenship, thus qualifying him to become a medical officer later?

CougarKing said:
Geo,

So you're telling me that if a landed immigrant is a DOCTOR with an MD from his home country, upon his enrollment since he has a skill the CF needs, he will STILL be an NCM just because he's not yet a citizen? So we introduce a doctor MOC for NCMs? Or is that doctor just placed in the Medical Technician MOC/Nurse MOC for the time being until he gets his citizenship, thus qualifying him to become a medical officer later?

First things first.... this landed immigrant must have his foreign medical training recognized by Canadian medical authorities if he wants to work as a MD in Canada. Check out the cab driver/pizza delivery people in TO.  ;)

Wait, wasn't foreign university accreditation an election campaign topic? Didn't Harper promise that highly skilled Landed Immigrants would have their accreditations sped up to get them working in their respective fields faster?  What happened to that?

We'll have to wait for Monty Solberg to get up to speed or ask Diane Finlay what she did.

Baden  Guy said:
First things first.... this landed immigrant must have his foreign medical training recognized by Canadian medical authorities if he wants to work as a MD in Canada. Check out the cab driver/pizza delivery people in TO.  ;)

Baden_Guy

Well say his foreign medical degree is finally recognized after review and testing by the proper authorities, what then, if he still wants to pursue the CF enrollment? Will he become an NCM with a new "Doctor's MOC" or will he be put in the Medical Technician/Nurse MOC? Just curious, that's all. I can't imagine any doctor as an NCM (no offence meant to all the NCMs on this board), although any landed immigrant with the skill that the CF needs won't be able to become an officer until they satisfy their 3-year residency requirement to become a citizen.

CougarKing said:
Baden_Guy

Well say his foreign medical degree is finally recognized after review and testing by the proper authorities, what then, if he still wants to pursue the CF enrollment? Will he become an NCM with a new "Doctor's MOC" or will he be put in the Medical Technician/Nurse MOC? Just curious, that's all. I can't imagine any doctor as an NCM (no offence meant to all the NCMs on this board), although any landed immigrant with the skill that the CF needs won't be able to become an officer until they satisfy their 3-year residency requirement to become a citizen.

What the hell are you babbling about?  Doctors and Nurses are officers.  If the medical degree is recognized then the applicant can be processed.

niner domestic said:
Wait, wasn't foreign university accreditation an election campaign topic? Didn't Harper promise that highly skilled Landed Immigrants would have their accreditations sped up to get them working in their respective fields faster?  What happened to that?
Keep in mind that many of the professions are under provincial regulation - the bar, doctors, engineers... the Federal government has limited leverage in those areas of provincial jurisdiciton.  And the provincial agencies look out for the interests of their members, not necessarily society as a whole - keeping a tight supply of professionals in their field permits them to inflate their rates.

Or is that too cynical?

kincanucks said:
What the hell are you babbling about?  Doctors and Nurses are officers.  If the medical degree is recognized then the applicant can be processed.

Kincanuks,

What I am saying is that if the degree is recognized BEFORE the applicant gets their citizenship, then will they be able to become Medical Officers/Nursing Officers without becoming a Canadian citizen first? It was mentioned earlier that one must be a Canadian citizen first before becoming an officer. (A landed immigrant must satisfy the 3 year residency requirement before they can take the citizenship test)

So I am pointing at the uniqueness of the dilemma- their degree is recognized BUT BEFORE the applicant is a citizen, so how will they proceed? As I said, will you make a doctor an NCM just because they're NOT yet a citizen yet? I am not insulting you here- just pointing out this possible scenario.

niner domestic said:

Harper might have said it BUT, the professional orders are the agencies that will decide yea or nay to acreditation.

FWIW, individuals trained in the UK or the US usually get an okie dokie from the orders but those from eastern europe, south east asia, etc have to take years of make up courses, internships, the works before being allowed to practice their occupation.

cougarking,
If you go back to my post, I said that this was the situation some years ago.
ORs= landed Immigrants Offrs = Citzens.

HOWEVER

rules changed and then everyone had to be a citzen..... and that is pert much where we stand today..... unless we realy, realy need the person.

Geo, my understanding was the Harper said he would provide additional funding to the agencies that provide the assessments and accreditation (he especially wanted to speed up the process for medical doctors) as the wait time depending on the country and education and/or skill could take up to 3-4 years to complete - lack of bodies on the ground to process and make the calls were blamed. Part of the immigration process is submitting to the feds, affirmation that the degree or skill being claimed is in fact recognized by a Canadian regulatory body (whether provincial or federal).  The issue I believe, was that the process created a catch-22 for the applicant.  One had to wait it out for the assessment to address the skill or education but were not guaranteed that the regulatory body would accept the quals - hence the PEng, MDs etc, driving cabs.  Their education was assessed in their favour to get them into the country but the actual ability to use their skills were dependent on satisfying the regulatory bodies. 

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/work-3.html

yup, Catch 22

so far, I have not heard the Fed Gov't adressing any of this issue.

One of the most notorious is the Medical society in each province.  They look down on medical degrees that are not Cdn, US or UK validated.  I know that there have been horror stories coming out of the old Soviet Union.  True or not - they have feed the rumour mill and the MDs took a stand that, to my knowledge, they have not revised.

I know of one lady, Russian trained MD, she & family emigrated, she & hubby both worked as stock room clerks for two years.  They bought some rental property & then, she went back to Univ for internship as MD.... I think it took her a total of 5 or 6 yrs from the time they immigrated for her to be practicing again.

I don't know about you but I'm in no flippin' hurry to have some "Doctor" with some third world matchbook degree just waltzing in and becoming a "Doctor" here..............a few years in our school system sounds about right to me.

Back