• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Military Film

I_Drive_Planes said:
After seeing that nearly everyone here seems to like Full Metal Jacket I went out and rented it.   Great show, but I noticed one major inaccuracy.   In the scene titled : Guest of Honour the guy who is sitting next to the "guest of honour" has what appears to be a Winchester Model 94 (or maybe a Marlin 336 there's not a good shot of it), with a saddle ring no less!   Would be great if "Cowboy" was carrying it, or maybe "Joker" when he's doing the John Wayne impressions.  

What does that mean exactly- Im not following

sorry  ???

Aaron White said:
What does that mean exactly- Im not following

sorry ???

The Winchester Model 94 and Marlin 336 are common lever action deer rifles.  My uncle hunts deer with a Model 94 in 30-30 Winchester (I use one of my Lee Enfields BTW).  You would not find a Model 94 Winchester in the aresenal of any armed force.  Also a saddle ring is for tying your rifle to your saddle when you are riding a horse, I doubt you'd find that on a C-7! Sorry I didn't clarify that.

Being a Bos'n and a hunter you shouldnt have to clarify that.....blonde moment...

who here is a fan of "Zulu" ?

also who thought sink the bismark and other submarine movies just suck!

lemme know!

Spr. Richmond
CHIMO!

zerhash said:

also who thought sink the bismark and other submarine movies just suck!

lemme know!

Spr. Richmond
CHIMO!

I loved Zulu, but you can stop right there about Sink the Bismark that movie was great! (Johnny Horton did a good song about it too)

The all time classic WWII sea story on film is still The Cruel Sea.

Acorn

That's a damn good book. I've never seen the movie, though.

I actually bought three movies yesterday, The Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, and T3. I enjoy basically all war movies as long as they are not cheezy. The one movie that I absolutely hated was Basic, I did'nt like that movie at all. I would'nt even really classify it as a war movie. If I had to choose between Basic and Courage Under Fire, I'd choose Courage Under Fire anyday.

Well, my favorites are as follows:

Zulu
A Bridge too Far
Gallipoli
Bridge over the river kwai
Platoon
Starship troopers
The man who became king
The siege of firebase gloria
Z force 5
Fair well to the king

Acorn said:
The all time classic WWII sea story on film is still The Cruel Sea.

Acorn

An excellent flick...Nicholas Monnserrat if I'm not mistaken. I have the book. (Which is somewhat   different than the movie)

Slim

zerhash said:

Me !

"Do carry on with your mud pies"
"Cowardly blacks ?  Who do you think is coming to wipe out your little command ? The Grenadier Guards ?â ? "
"Run ? Who'd want to run to fight a battle ?"
"I told you, I came here to build a bridge"

And my all time favourite :
"Alllllllllright then. Nobody told you to stop working !"

Slim, yes it was Monserrat, and the thing that impressed me most was that the film was closer to the book than the majority of other's I'd read and seen up to that point.

Zulu, a personal favorite. Memorable quotes:
Bromhead: "I'll have my man clean your kit old boy."
Chard: "Don't bother old boy."
Bromhead: "No bother, I'm not offering to do it myself."

Of course, the film deviated considerably from the reality - Bromhead, for example, had a full beard and was more likely to be dressed like a Boer farmer than a toff British officer. He was also nearly deaf. Plus CSgt Bourne (my favorite character) was, I think , 26 years old - the youngest CSgt in the British Army at the time.

Another favorite of mine is Cross of Iron however it deviated from both reality and the book. Steiner was in his 20s in the book.

"Grateful? What do I have to be grateful for? Do you think that just because you and Colonel Brandt are more enlightened than most officers that I hate you any less? I hate all officers! All the Stranskys, all the Triebigs, all of the Iron Cross scavengers in the whole German Army!"

Trivia: The first and last words in Cross of Iron are two different phrases, each of two words. What are the?

Acorn

Besides most of the movies already listed I also like "Dear Hunter." I don't know if it was listed already but I just had to add my 2 cents.

Cross of Iron

Isn't that with George Peppard? No, sorry, thats the Blue Max I'm thinking of. What is Cross of Iron about?(IN brief of course)

Slim

Zulu... hehe my favourite quote is something along the lines of

"Do up your tunic soldure!"
"Why must i do up my Tunic"
"How would it look if the zulu's were to find your dead body with an open tunic!"

Favourite War Movies - last time I wrote about this was an exchange of letters with Journalist
Peter Worthington Toronto Sun - both of us are well over 60, so my choices are a bit different.
I agree that virtually all the films listed are first rate. Question about "Cross of Iron" directed by
Sam Peckeninpah, based on the book by German Army veteran Willi Heinrich. Good cast, well
structured film, very accurate, but Peckinpah ran out of money. "The Eagle Has Landed" with
Michael Caine, Robert Duval, great story. There are classics "The Cruel Sea" based on the book
by Nicholas Monsarrat, a British journalist who served in Corvette's and Frigates on the North
Atlantic convoy runs, has a Canadian connection in Halifax and Ottawa as a post war UK PR.
"The Dam Busters" based on the book by Paul Brickhill, with Richard Todd as Group Captain
Guy P.Gibson VC, DSO,DFC - outstanding photography for the era (1956) and "Das Boot" I saw
episodes of this German made film on TV in Germany while on business, and later bought the
German VCR version - again, an excellent film, actually based on two books, one by former UBoat
Captain Wolfgang Ott, "Sharks and Little Fish" and the other "Das Boot" by a German author.Have
always found "A Bridge Too Far" one of the best World War II Films, along with "Saving Private Ryan"
of course. MacLeod

Two people (Bossi and Arctic Acorn, I think) mentioned two of my favourites: Tunes of Glory and The Sand Pebbles.

In both films I thought I recognized many of the people ... there were well drawn character studies of typical British and Canadian soldiers, albeit some in US Navy uniforms, people very like those with whom I served many years ago.

The best war movie ever made, however, is Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein, 1938) but Henry V (either the Olivier or Branagh versions) runs a good, if distant, second.

Rusty Old Joint said:
The best war movie ever made, however, is Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein, 1938)

Now that is one I never thought I'd see on this list. Good choice.

Back