• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

I'd have to say (in no particualr order) The Wild Geese, The Odd Angry Shot, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, A Bridge Too Far, The Battle of Britain, Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Kelly's Heroes (have to have a slightly funny one), The Great Escape.

MM

god the movie platoon is soo old but it was good my fav. part was when all the vietnamese for lack of a better name, :soldier: :soldier:  were climbing up the hill to the patrol towerand scared the living s***  out of the soldiers in the tower.:soldier:

mcpl_spunky said:
god the movie platoon is soo old but it was good my fav. part was when all the vietnamese for lack of a better name, :soldier: :soldier:   were climbing up the hill to the patrol towerand scared the living s***   out of the soldiers in the tower.:soldier:

I know I'm getting old and so is the movie, but I really don't recall that part.

MM

It was closer to the end of the movie . ther were a few soldiers in the tower and then they saw all of the people trying to advance to the top of the tower and take it overlost of little mortar presents involved in that one.

MM, we're not getting old, that scene isn't in there.

Someone seems to be getting his movies mixed up. 8)

I love war movies, if I had to choose any one of those movie "genres" I like best it would be that. I loved Band of Brothers, as well as Saving Private Ryan, the Thin Red Line, Tae Guk Gi, Platoon, etc.

Too many to name all at once

Are you maybe thinking of Uncommon Valour, when Sailor pulls the pin on his grenade and jumps from the tower?

Kat

Anyone ever seen Sgt York, its black and white and really old but very well done

Marty said:
Anyone ever seen Sgt York, its black and white and really old but very well done

Marty I agree it's a classic. Gary Cooper won the Best Actor Oscar in 1941 for his portrayal of Alvin York.

It was also nominated for Best Picture ( Lost to How Green Was My Valley) , Walter Brennan for Best Supporting Actor, and Howard Hawkes  for Best Director.

(Slow Day at work and demonstratring my depth of worthless trivia and fast googling skills)

mcpl_spunky said:
It was closer to the end of the movie . ther were a few soldiers in the tower and then they saw all of the people trying to advance to the top of the tower and take it overlost of little mortar presents involved in that one.

Isn't that Firebase Gloria?

Thankyou M/Cpl Spunky. I will now spend my evening driving the domestic niner nuts as I fast forward through my extensive collection of Vietnam ( and other war ) movies on VHS and DVD trying to determine just which one you're talking about.  ::)

ANy other bets on which one it is before we close the polls on this?

I'm going for The Green Berets as it's the only one that comes to mind with a tower being overrun in it that comes to mind and giving odds of 4 to 5.  ;D

Che said:
I've been following this and it's great, taping the whole series (what's a..VCR?)

My personal faves are:

The Great Escape, How can you not like steve mcqueen, put him in a war movie and you've got instant classic.

Zulu, Great example of a SNCO doing their job..despite its historical inaccuracies.

Tae Guk Gi, see my review in that thread, brill.

Full Metal Jacket, it's really like watching 2 seperate movies and you can watch either half and be entertained and think a bit.

Apocolypse now, entertaining but also interesting, worth reading the heart of darkness by joseph conrad too which as far as I can see the movie is based on.

Steve McQueen- Hell Is For Heros-
IMHO his best role, as Pte (former Master Sgt) John Reese

Back