• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

i love that movie, i can still remember the first day i saw it. wow that was when i was a little kid no older than 8 or 9 (makes one that is not old seem old lol)

I can't remember everybodies list, but has anyone mentioned Bravo Two Zero or Enemy at the Gates, yet?

Cheers.

The Hill, with Sean Connery, it's about a SM Hero type who gets sent to a prison in North Africa during WWII I believe, of course Connery was excellent.

Some commendble lists of war movies. "Porkchop Hill" which featured Gregory Peck as an Infantry
Officer was a notable Korean War film - based on the real battle. Saw "Guns at Batasi" again the
other day. British actor/director Richard Attenborough played a Brit RSM serving with other professional
British army types, training the army of a newly emerging African country. A great role for Attenborough
(who produced "A Bridge Too Far") as the RSM - he based his character on a real RSM, Roland Brittain
Training Depot RSM for the Brigade of Guards, UK. Brittain himself actually appeared in a British film of
the late 'forties, "They Were Not Divided", story of recruits in the Welsh Guards, at depot, complete
with drill and pacesticks, on to Guards Armoured in France after D-Day and beyond. Great military
film. "The Great Escape" is a big disappointment. Close friend, the late F/O W.R. "Bill" Gibson from
Halifax NS was in the real Stalag Luft III, and though the film a waste and pointless. A British film
of the fifties "The Wooden Horse" is a much better and realistic film of the "Stalags". Regards, MacLeod

Lot of good ones on here and fortunately many are now showing up on DVD.

Some Aussie ones worth a look ( beat you to it Wes)

The Odd Angry Shot, (SAS in Vietnam)

The Light Horseman (Aussies in the Middle East in WW1)

ANZACs the War Down Under (actually a mini series for TV IIRC, with Paul Hogan)

Breaker Morant (Boer War)

Another interesting but hard to find film is A Game For Vultures kind of hokey in a1970's way with Joan Collins Richard Roundtree (Shaft) and Richard Harris it's set in Rhodesia and the firefight sequences are well done

I just scanned through some of peoples top choices and notice no one put down enemy at the gates which I just saw this weekened if you haven't seen it I recommend you do. It goes from the Russian perspective and is about a soldier from WWII who was one of the top snipers for the Russians, good movie especially the beginning.

Yeah, except for the fruity love story. Same goes for Pearl Harbour. Why do movie producers insist on ruining a perfectly good war movie with a love story? Don't get me wrong, Kate Beckinsale (sp?) is a babe, as is Rachel Weiss, but I like my war movies without the smootchy-smootchy, thank-you very much.

Bravo Two Zero
The one that got away
Tears of the sun

Not a movie but I like Truth, Duty, Valour

Yeah, except for the fruity love story. Same goes for Pearl Harbour. Why do movie producers insist on ruining a perfectly good war movie with a love story? Don't get me wrong, Kate Beckinsale (sp?) is a babe, as is Rachel Weiss, but I like my war movies without the smootchy-smootchy, thank-you very much.

They're dong you a favour.. Without the "smoochy-smoochy" most women would either A) not agree to see the movie with you, or B) Agree to see the movie with you, but complain about it to you for months on end.

Just watched Tae Guk Gi.  The first battle scene brings new meaning to the term FPF.

So are you guys Korean or is there another version of Taegucki? Anyways, its a pretty good story like I said before. But I still don't understand why the North Koreans had a Vickers Vinnie.

I never saw the movie, but the book was very good. (re: The Cruel Sea)

Favourite war Movies

*-Black Hawk Down-*
*-We Were Soldiers-*
*-Saving Private Ryan-*
*-Armageddon-*  (if you count that as a war movie??)
and last but certainly not least...
*-FULL METAL JACKET-* (up until Pyle kills himself then it gets kinda boring then the part where they are all singing at the end!!)

xox - amanda - xox

My Favs are

Black Hawk Down
Platoon

Another good one was that made for TV movie where the Americans saved that P.O.W. chick...

Anyone know what i'm talking about...

Ah, yes. Jessica Lynch.

Won the hearts and minds of people all over America through lies and deceit...

Back