• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

And that's during the day time...
Downtown Winnipeg is fine most times of the day in most areas. Avoid Higgins and Princess while wearing gang colours at 2 AM and statistically you're completely fine. Almost all violent crime in Winnipeg is gang on gang or (unfortunately) intimate partner crime, particularly in the lower income areas, which starts a whole new website about income inequality, lack of opportunity for poor youth, etc.

One course on how government works I took (in Ottawa, of course) had one instructor (who'd worked in both HQ and regional offices of a department) saying HQ liked to call regional office bosses "warlords," so I'm not surprised at Head Shed hesitancy about encouraging teams whose members come from different parts of the federation. #CentreKnowsBest

In other news, how not to make friends with the neighbours?
This from PSAC's Instagram feed ...
View attachment 87923
Good ole fashioned arrogance. I surely didn't expect that from Ottawa PS haha.

Yup. Killed one, maimed another. The suspect had 60 prior convictions and was on probation at the time.

This is not going down well in the immediate pre-election period for the BC NDP, nor should it. They've destroyed the cities, pretty much.
I read it was more like 60 prior police interactions, but yeah- a significant number of those were for violence that put him in front of a judge a number of times, where he would either get released with conditions or sentenced to probation.

It is not great.

Yup. Killed one, maimed another. The suspect had 60 prior convictions and was on probation at the time.

This is not going down well in the immediate pre-election period for the BC NDP, nor should it. They've destroyed the cities, pretty much.
No cities are destroyed, but there are places I used to go without apprehension in Victoria and Vancouver where I cannot do that today. It's not that there are people wandering about with knives looking for confrontations, but there is simply the increased potential for a chance meeting to go sideways or to irritate someone who is having a bad day. If I feel like I have to walk through an area scrupulously avoiding eye contact, I have to admit I'm not wholly without concern. And the few such areas that exist have increased in size and number over four decades.

I read it was more like 60 prior police interactions, but yeah- a significant number of those were for violence that put him in front of a judge a number of times, where he would either get released with conditions or sentenced to probation.

It is not great.
Not to mention a history of mental health issues that in earlier times would have led to institutionalization.

No cities are destroyed, but there are places I used to go without apprehension in Victoria and Vancouver where I cannot do that today. It's not that there are people wandering about with knives looking for confrontations, but there is simply the increased potential for a chance meeting to go sideways or to irritate someone who is having a bad day. If I feel like I have to walk through an area scrupulously avoiding eye contact, I have to admit I'm not wholly without concern. And the few such areas that exist have increased in size and number over four decades.
Yea I am limiting my daughters trips to downtown and now we get a gang related shooting 2 blocks from my house. Of course it's mostly the successful criminals that live here. He must of mucked up a deal or something.

Before …
This from PSAC's Instagram feed ...
View attachment 87923
… and after

Before …

… and after

Flip Flop Politics GIF by Liberal Party of Australia

At the executive and senior managerial levels, where individuals have workforce management or making suitable workplaces and facilities available as part of their job, yes.

And you're suggesting that it's isolated to those levels then? If the executive and senior managerial levels are incompetent and lack any form of accountability, I should have no reason to be concerned that this might trickle down into and infect the rest of the public service.....?

Many of us that were at the coalface were very conscious of the taxpayer dollar and making sure our employees were good. As I have mentioned before, we built a rock solid case to fire someone and it was our senior management that refused to support us.

I say again, I should have no reason to be concerned that this lack of accountability might trickle down into and infect the rest of the public service....?

Being a PS member was often frustrating and yes we had more than our fair share of O2 thieves.

Yep, being a 5%'er sucks, but I'm glad someone on here is finally admitting out loud that there's "more than the fair share" of O2 thieves in the public service (i.e. the public service has disproportionate too many O2 thieves, yet higher pay?), rather than trying to pretend the patently obvious is not obvious... particularly worth an eyeroll when it's done towards people who worked in the CAF so literally saw it for themselves anyway.

I’m not persuaded.

You asked "why is it that..." and got your answer, if you'd prefer to simply believe it's because people are "jealous," then don't ask - I don't really care if you're "persuaded" and ps I am definitely not jealous 🤷‍♂️

We are now attacking as “gold plated” the sorts of pensions that used to be much more typical across all workforces.

Do you have any evidence that the pension benefits of public servants was a commonplace in the years gone by?

Don’t put words in my mouth. Obviously altruism is not the reason PS have retained benefits that private sector has managed to strip from its employees. PS unions successfully holding the line is more a factor.

That's an interesting spin. You think the track record shows that compensation was better throughout history, but it's been stripped away, and simply at a faster rate in the private sector?

This whole thing reminds me of Darnell Nurse's contract with the Oilers. He got paid way too much and can't live up to the contact. I would never blame Nurse for signing that contract - any player in the league would have signed it. However, when Darnell Nurse gets criticized for his contract, he actually steps up and plays a little better.... and he sure isn't refusing to come to work because he hasn't got a fair enough shake just yet.

And you're suggesting that it's isolated to those levels then? If the executive and senior managerial levels are incompetent and lack any form of accountability, I should have no reason to be concerned that this might trickle down into and infect the rest of the public service.....?

I’m speaking solely to the issue of managing the shift to a hybrid workforce and the effectively providing infrastructure for them, both physical and IT. Those are senior managerial and executive functions.

If you want to speak about other things have at ‘er, but that’s the left and right of arc of my comment that you specifically replied to. If you want to know my opinion on anything else, just ask me directly and I may or may not give my view. But my specific opinion on that was not intended to be read into more broadly.

I say again, I should have no reason to be concerned that this lack of accountability might trickle down into and infect the rest of the public service....?

Yep, being a 5%'er sucks, but I'm glad someone on here is finally admitting out loud that there's "more than the fair share" of O2 thieves in the public service (i.e. the public service has disproportionate too many O2 thieves, yet higher pay?), rather than trying to pretend the patently obvious is not obvious... particularly worth an eyeroll when it's done towards people who worked in the CAF so literally saw it for themselves anyway.

You asked "why is it that..." and got your answer, if you'd prefer to simply believe it's because people are "jealous," then don't ask - I don't really care if you're "persuaded" and ps I am definitely not jealous 🤷‍♂️

Do you have any evidence that the pension benefits of public servants was a commonplace in the years gone by?

That's an interesting spin. You think the track record shows that compensation was better throughout history, but it's been stripped away, and simply at a faster rate in the private sector?

This whole thing reminds me of Darnell Nurse's contract with the Oilers. He got paid way too much and can't live up to the contact. I would never blame Nurse for signing that contract - any player in the league would have signed it. However, when Darnell Nurse gets criticized for his contract, he actually steps up and plays a little better.... and he sure isn't refusing to come to work because he hasn't got a fair enough shake just yet.
You are using an interesting stat. 5% vs 95%. What is that based on exactly?

Back