• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fire Ftr and Air Force only?

crooks.a

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why the fire fighter trade is Air Force only. I know that the primary need for the trade is in the Air Force, but is there any knowledge as to why it isn't a purple trade/available to all components?

If this has already been asked, I apologize. I could only find one topic about fire fighters, and it didn't answer my question.

Thanks.

Military firefighters are an air force trade mainly due to the fact that we are responsible for air craft rescue. The only army base that has military firefighters (vice DND firefighters) is Edmonton.  That has a lot to do with what happened during the 90's and trying to save money.

As far as it being a purple trade, you maybe wearing the air force uniform, you can serve with all different elements. I have sailed on most east coast ships and have spent 7 months overseas in Afghanistan, as well as several other small deployments

Hope this helps.

When the DEU was introduced in 1984, the decision was made that not all trades would have all uniforms.  In most cases, the rationale was obvious:  boatswains would wear navy DEU, infantry would wear army DEU, pilots would wear leisure suits air force DEU, etc.  The "purple" (i.e. mostly hard-core logistics) would wear all three.  That left a small number of question mark trades where decisions were often made based on what the previous three services had done.  For example, neither the RCN nor the RCAF had a dental branch in 1968 as all dental services for the RCN, Canadian Army and RCAF were provided by the Royal Canadian Dental Corps (part of the Army); therefore, all dental personnel now wear army DEU.  In the case of firefighters (and Meteorological Technicians) , although both the RCN and RCAF had firefighters (and Met Techs), their main purpose in both services was to fight aircraft fires (or forecast weather for flying operations).  Ships that did not carry aircraft, did not carry firefighters either (and only carried junior Met Techs).  Thus, because firefighters' (and Met Techs') main purpose in life is in support of flying operations, the decision was made to put them all in air force DEU.

Having said that, I am aware of one firefighter and one Airfield (?) Engineering (who was the CF Fire Marshal at one point) officer who wore navy DEU.  In the case of the firefighter, he was a crusty old salt who had actually served as a firefighter in the RCN and claimed vested rights (I knew a Met Tech in a similar situation who lost that battle).  The officer asked for and got permission to change DEU because of where she had served throughout her career.  Normally, she would have worn air force DEU.

. . . I am aware of one firefighter and one Airfield (?) Engineering (who was the CF Fire Marshal at one point) officer who wore navy DEU.  In the case of the firefighter, he was a crusty old salt who had actually served as a firefighter in the RCN and claimed vested rights. . . .

Appears there were at least two 651s that wore navy DEU before they retired.  From QL6B courses 1990 and 1994
Also found one other photo (not linked) of a 6A crse from 1990 in which one of the students is identified as "MS" (all other students are MCpl or FR-2/3). http://www.firehouse651.com/gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=1

QL6Bin1990.jpg

QL6B_9401.jpg

And it seems that not all firefighters from the "old days" were RCAF and RCN.

QL6A_6801.jpg

I stand corrected.  I suspect the Army firefighters were part of the Army's aviation community (not sure if Canada ever actually had an Army Air Corps)

Back